First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR, F-350 diesel, Porsche Spyder, Model Y
Occupation
Semi retired consultant
I have Overlanded for several years and have gone through a couple of different axe choices.

While a folding saw does have some benefits it cannot split logs for firewood etc.

I have been using this Estwing Axe for a few years and love it...

https://www.estwing.com/products/campers-axe-long-handle

I like it’s balance and the solid steel shaft means it will never break.

OP
OP
steffen707

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
I have Overlanded for several years and have gone through a couple of different axe choices.

While a folding saw does have some benefits it cannot split logs for firewood etc.

I have been using this Estwing Axe for a few years and love it...

https://www.estwing.com/products/campers-axe-long-handle

I like it’s balance and the solid steel shaft means it will never break.
The special edition I hear cuts $19 better than the one you have!
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00D32ALW4/ref=twister_B01N35B6I6?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1#customerReviews

31TMIU5CGRL.jpg

OP
OP
steffen707

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"

Sponsored

Jaciro

First Name
Jaciro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jeep
Occupation
cars
You can use all of them; it doesn't matter your high but what you prefer and how you use your axes. You can try this platform https://bestaxeguide.com and see which one fits better on you. I love the most about them because they have a detailed description of each model and even some schemes, which helps you better understand the best part about each ax. Moreover, they have a ranking from one to five and price checking since these two points are extremely important. After checking this platform, I always get my axes, and I never regretted it.

Last edited:

Ole Cowboy

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 F 450, 17 JK Rubicon RECON, 21 Glady
Occupation
ReTired
i'm not much of an axe guy, but if i'm making my jeep look the part, and intend to actually use it for overlanding.

What axe length should i get a 28" or 36" I'm 5'7".
I got a really nice ax way back when I was a boy scout, it was very high quality. I still have it, its been with me and camping trips across the US, wheeling from Mexico and Panama to Alaska and many other places around the world and the US.

FYI, in over 65 years it's done great, in fact, its never done anything at all, still got it, but its NEVER been out of its sheath, it's an Eastwing, one of the best. Yes, I have been on 2 week-long oveflands, never did not find enough dead wood lying around that I needed to use it to chop anything with.

More important is a Knife, I have carried a Puma White Hunter since 1966, it went to Vietnam with me, Korea, Europe, and Asia, and it's been used and used often. A few years ago I retired it and replaced it with a new one, but I kept it, it's worth about $300-$500 bucks to collectors. You can certainly tell the difference between the new on top and the old on the bottom, serrations sharpened off, blood-stained, worn, and worked hard. If you get a good knife, it will do anything and everything you need. You can find them used on E bay

Attachments

MPMB

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR - SG
Occupation
Check your inbox.
Always an axe. Make those Bronco & Tacoma owners drool.

hirtless-lumberjack-axe-handsome-muscular-77100972.jpg

:LOL:

AmishMike

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon, 56 Coronet, 65 Dune Buggy,
Occupation
Whipping boy
Always an axe. Make those Bronco & Tacoma owners drool.

Jeep Gladiator Overland Axe? 28" or 36" hirtless-lumberjack-axe-handsome-muscular-77100972

:LOL:
Looks like a poser Bronco guy there! Nothing but scrap wood and slabs sitting there cut up.
(is that pine he is posing with?)
......oh, wait, he is holding the maul waiting for a real man to strike it.

Really, @steffen707 the smaller axe will be just fine and more useful as a hammer etc. when needed. I prefer something like the Estwing or even a fiberglass handle. Wooden handles like to dry up and shrink or split or whatever. (Dog doesn't run away with metal handled tools. Her running with an axe, not so good.)
Remember Force = Mass x Velocity so if the axe is too big and you can't swing it, then a smaller axe swung faster has more force. Easier to control and safer.
Sponsored