First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Launch Edition
Occupation
Geek
You think Mopar is bad, try BMW.... For BMW, there is no "retail price" that dealers have to top out at, so, they can charge over retail price that is shown on the internet .... So, when you go to the parts dept., here is the discussion.

1. I need part XXXX
2. We have that part for $XX.
3. But, the retail price online is less at $X.
4. Yes, I can give you that retail price.
5. I come here all the time to fix this old BWM, can you give me a discount ?
6. yes, I can give you a 15% discount on that price.
7. Thanks.
Pelican Parts is your BMW friend. Some stuff is shockingly cheap.

Also, for any brand, I just put the part number in Google and that gives me a lot of options.
Sponsored

OP
OP
DirtySaylor

DirtySaylor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland
You think Mopar is bad, try BMW.... For BMW, there is no "retail price" that dealers have to top out at, so, they can charge over retail price that is shown on the internet .... So, when you go to the parts dept., here is the discussion.

1. I need part XXXX
2. We have that part for $XX.
3. But, the retail price online is less at $X.
4. Yes, I can give you that retail price.
5. I come here all the time to fix this old BWM, can you give me a discount ?
6. yes, I can give you a 15% discount on that price.
7. Thanks.
Believe me I know. I've owned several BMW's, including (currently) an M240i. Won't be buying another BMW.

LoJac963

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Mopar may be expensive but as others have mentioned, fit and finish is top notch. I originally bought a Rough Country tri-fold hard tonneau cover. One of the slats where it bends was bend and would not sit flat. Over 3 weeks of back and forth, waiting for emails, etc and I finally gave up and sent it back for RMA/return yesterday. I immediately went to my local Jeep dealership and bought the Mopar quad fold hard tonneau.

Fit and finish of the Mopar BLOWS away the RC cover hands down. Sure it was just under $300 more but at that point how communication was handled with RC it was more about principle.

Reactions: Mac

Biscodave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Gator bone stock
Mopar for most things are worth it in a sense. The issue is a lot of companies make equal to better in my opinion.
In regards to parts being priced so widely. It’s really about longevity and parts inside of them. If you’re doing serious wheeling like Rausch Creek or a Moab in 3 years you’ll be grateful for that Rock Krawler lift vs a rough country.
At the end of the day. It’s all about what you plan to do with it. A show stopper won’t need high dollar parts but a true off road machine you want that expensive lift

MrKnowitall

First Name
Guenther
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 JKU-R
Dealers here install a combination of over-priced junk AEV parts, and over-priced but decent Mopar parts. They over-charge for everything, because people are dumb and "need" to have their goodies rolled into a loan, so they end up paying 3x-4x what it would cost to have a good shop do it. And the dealer install quality is sketchy, even my wife sees it. We were in the showroom and she pointed at a JKUR with a sticker that was $27k over MSRP. She said, "Isn't that $7,000 in parts installed like sh!t?" Yep, things like plain electrical tape wrap for exposed wires.
Where does your hatred for AEV come from?

Sponsored

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Launch Edition
Occupation
Geek
I don't hate AEV. They make over-priced mall crawler junk, and it's installed by dealers creating mall crawlers. No hate, that's a perfectly valid use of a vehicle if that's what they want.

steelponycowboy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JKU Rubicon HR, 2017 Cherokee, 2021 JTR
Occupation
Retired Peace Officer
Mopar parts installed by the dealer can be covered by your warranty. In many cases you are paying for the name brand. In most cases you are paying for the R&D. While there are 2 million JKs out there, the numbers of JL's and JT's are still small, the market is not that big and there is lots of competition and although there are plenty of options for you the piece of the pie is small, prices are high so companies can make a profit. It pays to shop, Quadratec is not always the best price out there.

danielspivey

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 MAX TOW MAX TOW MAX TOW, 4.10s w 1583 payload
For the first 6 years of my driving career I had old POS vehicles with no warranties and high-mileage... I had to learn to fix them myself. So, needless to say, I try to avoid the dealerships like the plaque.
I still go to the dealership for certain things... but know I will argue with them almost every time trying to pull something. Most recently when getting an oil change and tire rotation the tech said I needed the tires to be balanced. I then asked ... why do you recommend that? He said well it’s easier to do them when they are off... quotes me $55. I then asked but what makes you think I need to get them balanced? He couldn’t come up with an answer and stuttered quite a bit. He then fit together “it would be cheaper to do it every time I have it in to balance so they don’t wear funny, so I don’t have to replace them”. I then said so your telling me to do something I don’t currently need? He then said, no you don’t need it.

He was a newby, but I get a kick of it everytime because every advisor/tech tries something. The best is them justifying simple things like Air filters and cabin filters and what they charge. I usually say so your trying to charge me $85 bucks to installed a $14 filter. They usually just stare at me... and I say no thanks. The last time I was in... they got this order guy on the air cabin filter... I told him to he could go to Autozone and they would slide it in for free... he said it wasn’t worth his time to save the $65 bucks or whatever.

That made me realize that’s why they do it... because they can to most patrons that come in who are either too ignorant, too polite to question, or simply don’t care how much it costs cause they have the money and don’t feel like dealing with it...

Last edited:

Mac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Hydro Blue Max Tow
I don't hate AEV. They make over-priced mall crawler junk, and it's installed by dealers creating mall crawlers. No hate, that's a perfectly valid use of a vehicle if that's what they want.
what do you base this on? IMO AEV has been making well engineered quality Jeeps and parts for years, you can pretty much thank AEV for the Gladiator.

RedTRex

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU / 2014 WK2 Diesel
Makes me cringe hearing stories like that. Been working on vehicles my whole life so I know what it takes.

Sponsored

BLK HOLE

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR, 2012 JKUR
Vehicle Showcase
So i'm on Quadratec and have ordered several things (Think my credit card is about to catch fire).

I've noticed how prices are not competitive and vary widely for what appears to be the exact same material/concept/look.

For example: Mopar products are absurdly expensive. Was shopping for bumpers and saw bumpers for $1,200!!! Then DV8 has the same cool looking bumper for less than $500. Before buying I read carefully- they appear to go through the same manufacturing process and are of the same material. you think the market (or demand) for these over priced products would self correct. But it appears that isn't the case.

Same with lift kits. And oddly enough, when I do research on the lower priced parts I don't see people complaining about quality.

So I guess my question is: Is Mopar the Prada of the jeep world? Are people just paying for a name? Not to pick on Mopar, or other expensive brands. Just seems like it is the same way chicks pick handbags. It's an image/brand thing.
Say no to Cheap parts.

Bottom line is good parts are expensive. MOPAR isn't even expensive...they're right in the middle.

Quadratec is a shit company (shit distributor anyway) and most anything not made in America, or quality controlled by America, is shit too.

Want to spend 500 on a lift and 300 on a bumper? Go right ahead...it'll perform like 800 dollars. There's a lot of people rolling around with RC lifts, bedazzled Chinese bumpers and cheap lights galore and think they have done a good job on their Jeeps. The rest of us know better.

BLK HOLE

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR, 2012 JKUR
Vehicle Showcase
what do you base this on? IMO AEV has been making well engineered quality Jeeps and parts for years, you can pretty much thank AEV for the Gladiator.
I just swapped out my JK AEV lift of 5yrs. Rides like crap, settle a lot and overall had poor flex. Their Pintler wheels are known to crack....never again.

eaglerugby04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator Rubicon Gladiator, Toyota Prius, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Network Security
I still go to the dealership for certain things... but know I will argue with them almost every time trying to pull something. Most recently when getting an oil change and tire rotation the tech said I needed the tires to be balanced. I then asked ... why do you recommend that? He said well it’s easier to do them when they are off... quotes me $55. I then asked but what makes you think I need to get them balanced? He couldn’t come up with an answer and stuttered quite a bit. He then fit together “it would be cheaper to do it every time I have it in to balance so they don’t wear funny, so I don’t have to replace them”. I then said so your telling me to do something I don’t currently need? He then said, no you don’t need it.

He was a newby, but I get a kick of it everytime because every advisor/tech tries something. The best is them justifying simple things like Air filters and cabin filters and what they charge. I usually say so your trying to charge me $85 bucks to installed a $14 filter. They usually just stare at me... and I say no thanks. The last time I was in... they got this order guy on the air cabin filter... I told him to he could go to Autozone and they would slide it in for free... he said it wasn’t worth his time to save the $65 bucks or whatever.

That made me realize that’s why they do it... because they can to most patrons that come in who are either too ignorant, too polite to question, or simply don’t care how much it costs cause they have the money and don’t feel like dealing with it...
Man do I hate dealerships and they hate me. I get my oil changes done there because with coupons it is cheaper than even doing it myself. But man do they try to pull one over on me. The air filter scam is such a common one, I had to save my parents after honda tried charging them $65 for a cabin air filter because it is "hard to change". I had them time me, less than 2 minutes, lol.

Toyota keeps trying to scam me everytime that I am long overdue for the top end engine clean every 30k miles. They really try to push that useless service hard.

I can't wait to see the garbage FCA pushes on me, asuming I can even find a dealer I can sort of trust.

danielspivey

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 MAX TOW MAX TOW MAX TOW, 4.10s w 1583 payload
Ye
Man do I hate dealerships and they hate me. I get my oil changes done there because with coupons it is cheaper than even doing it myself. But man do they try to pull one over on me. The air filter scam is such a common one, I had to save my parents after honda tried charging them $65 for a cabin air filter because it is "hard to change". I had them time me, less than 2 minutes, lol.

Toyota keeps trying to scam me everytime that I am long overdue for the top end engine clean every 30k miles. They really try to push that useless service hard.

I can't wait to see the garbage FCA pushes on me, asuming I can even find a dealer I can sort of trust.
yep that’s exactly why I do the oil changes as well... it’s ends up being about 20 bucks more to have them do it with the coupons.

The last time at Honda I got into a heated argument because they tried to tag on $9 worth of shop fees, that wasn’t disclosed... anywhere. They’d aid they had to do it to make profit. I said fine, then disclose it or raise your price by $9. When I escalated to the service manager he caved because he knew he was in that wrong.

It’s annoying but it’s kinda like an expectation now. I’m ready for the bs every time and they usually aren’t prepared for me calling their bluff.

eaglerugby04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator Rubicon Gladiator, Toyota Prius, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Network Security
Ye

yep that’s exactly why I do the oil changes as well... it’s ends up being about 20 bucks more to have them do it with the coupons.

The last time at Honda I got into a heated argument because they tried to tag on $9 worth of shop fees, that wasn’t disclosed... anywhere. They’d aid they had to do it to make profit. I said fine, then disclose it or raise your price by $9. When I escalated to the service manager he caved because he knew he was in that wrong.

It’s annoying but it’s kinda like an expectation now. I’m ready for the bs every time and they usually aren’t prepared for me calling their bluff.
That is some really shadyness to tack that on the back end. Probably slips by almost every customer.

I am always ready for BS, especially that strange service advisor thing. They hate the fact that I take first available instead of scheduling around when X employee is there and free. That whole trusted relationship thing probably is great at tricking people like my dad.
Sponsored