DaveL
Toronto
Sponsored

COmtnbiker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep TJ; 2022 Sport S JT
What would "tick" represent as for a computer guy? The only thing I know my JT does is the "ghost whine" after startup when backing up.

Barnabyā€™sdad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜22 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Stuff
What would "tick" represent as for a computer guy? The only thing I know my JT does is the "ghost whine" after startup when backing up.
You would know it if your rig was doing the tick. Mineā€¦at timesā€¦sounds vaguely reminiscent of my old ā€˜13 VW TDI.

The newer TDIā€™s are quiet enough that if someone didnā€™t know any better, theyā€™d assume it was just a gasser (led to the occasional mis-fuel, per reports on VW forums).

That is to say somewhat clickity-clackity, but not so noisy and consistent that youā€™re going to get ā€œI didnā€™t know your JT was a dieselā€ comments.

Only in a Jeep, lol.

RubiNewbCB

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JTRD, 07 Mustang GT, 05 Hoe, 90 Fox body 393W
Occupation
USN Seabee (1994-2021Ret.) / Current status DoD Contractor
I wonder if this will affect the GCL 3.6s as well, I have a 2021 GCL and it has a noticeable tick at cold startup and once warmed up it fades away. Oil levels are good, unless that's normal at cold start and the oil has to reach the top of the engine?

Sponsored

chorky

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'06 TJ GE, '22 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Forester
I wonder if this will affect the GCL 3.6s as well, I have a 2021 GCL and it has a noticeable tick at cold startup and once warmed up it fades away. Oil levels are good, unless that's normal at cold start and the oil has to reach the top of the engine?
i have had this as well, started shortly after purchase and seems a little more noticeable lately on cold start but once warm - no noise at all. Kinda strange.

SPED1

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 gladiator sport 2005 tj wrangler
Occupation
service & parts supervisor
At my work we have 400 3.6 caravans today... They are non ESS. They have 2 different ticks. fuel injector tick, normal and good lol. Lifter tick, bad and leads to camshaft destruction. Now having had a ton of these since 2011 as taxi cabs and special needs busses that run high mileage here is what I have seen. When they first started going bad at around 80k in taxis that are NOT brought in for maintenance at 5000 miles [some went 5-6k above that] we replaced the short block from the factory and completely rebuilt the top end with new parts. A complete engine was not available from Chrysler at that time. We were paying over $10,000.00 doing this. after about a half dozen of these my boss decided to try just rebuilding the top end. All 4 cams, lifters, and rocker arms were replaced on the next engine we had the lifter issue with. It was a taxi and was put back to work afterwards. It went 70k and got another set of cams! We ran this van to 300,000 miles with 2 sets of cams and NO flushing or issues of metal ruining the engine. Shocked, yes. Well I have lost count of the engine we have done this to and not 1 has failed due to debris in the motor. As of last year we were waiting through the tick and into random misfire codes and engine lights before we tore off valve covers and replace only what has gone bad. Example, last engine, right hand exhaust and intake cams with all the lifters and rockers were all that was replaced. We are now selling caravans with over 200,000 miles to a wholesaler who resells the vans. With this information I decided on buying my Gladiator. My belief is at 70-80k I will replace all my cams, lifters and rockers as maintenance.

ShrimpHappens

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Sport S
You would know it if your rig was doing the tick. Mineā€¦at timesā€¦sounds vaguely reminiscent of my old ā€˜13 VW TDI.

The newer TDIā€™s are quiet enough that if someone didnā€™t know any better, theyā€™d assume it was just a gasser (led to the occasional mis-fuel, per reports on VW forums).

That is to say somewhat clickity-clackity, but not so noisy and consistent that youā€™re going to get ā€œI didnā€™t know your JT was a dieselā€ comments.

Only in a Jeep, lol.
Adding this on @COmtnbiker 's original question: The issues being more common with the 2020's has me paranoid about mine, and I've often wondered if I had the tick. But I walked behind a new-ish Charger the other day, and that joker was TICKING. Incredibly obvious.

Shopshirt

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Gladiator
i have had this as well, started shortly after purchase and seems a little more noticeable lately on cold start but once warm - no noise at all. Kinda strange.
Interesting, I have a rattle that I can hear in the cab at cold start up when I accelerate but I can't hear it by hanging my head out the window. It disappears after warmed up, like yours no noise at all.

Sponsored

saintpauljeff

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Gladiator Rubi, '03 BMW Z4, '20 Mitsu OutSport
Occupation
Software Developer
I wonder if this will affect the GCL 3.6s as well, I have a 2021 GCL and it has a noticeable tick at cold startup and once warmed up it fades away.
this is exactly how my Gladiator Pentastar behaves (I'm not alone!)

chorky

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'06 TJ GE, '22 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Forester
Interesting, I have a rattle that I can hear in the cab at cold start up when I accelerate but I can't hear it by hanging my head out the window. It disappears after warmed up, like yours no noise at all.
yeah mine is definately not a rattle. It sounds like and has the harmonics and frequency similar to a super quiet rod knock or piston slap. But as soon as i get half a mile down the road and build some rpmā€™s once or twice it goes away. Which is super strange. I have about 8,500 miles so far. First oil change was at about 5,000 miles. But i dont recall hearing anyone with piston/rod issues, only upper end stuff so I try to not let it bother me. if it gets any louder or happens after warmup i will be bringing it in.

ShrimpHappens

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Sport S
Same here, guys

Shopshirt

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Gladiator
I wonder if this fading rattle noise isn't the same as the tick. Logic would make one think that lifter tick would remain and not disappear after warm up. But I'm not a mechanic, maybe someone with more experience with the tick can jump in.

saintpauljeff

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Gladiator Rubi, '03 BMW Z4, '20 Mitsu OutSport
Occupation
Software Developer
I wonder if this fading rattle noise isn't the same as the tick. Logic would make one think that lifter tick would remain and not disappear after warm up. But I'm not a mechanic, maybe someone with more experience with the tick can jump in.
I'm getting my next Jeep Wave oil change on Monday, I think I'm going to bring this up at that time
Sponsored