Sponsored

POLL - for those who have the MOPAR official brake controller only

Does brake controller cause errors with ACC, stability control, when you press controller button?

• Total voters
OP
OP
ShadowsPapa

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon. Errors: Y, Build Date: 10/01/19, ACC: Y, LED Lighting: Y

I only have the problem if I’m NOT pressing the brake pedal when I push the manual trailer brake button.
Yup - an exact match to the pattern of the problem. Built before January 2020, errors when pushing the manual trailer brake button and not the brake pedal (you'd not press the manual trailer brake button if using the brake pedal normally anyway)
Sponsored

MuddBud

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Yup - an exact match to the pattern of the problem. Built before January 2020, errors when pushing the manual trailer brake button and not the brake pedal (you'd not press the manual trailer brake button if using the brake pedal normally anyway)
So does it look like Jeep changed something with the wiring harness with builds in 2020?

OP
OP
ShadowsPapa

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
So does it look like Jeep changed something with the wiring harness with builds in 2020?
Something changed - for sure. What? Only speculation.
If there was a change in only the wiring all I can figure is they added a diode at the left kick panel connector area to prevent feedback into the brake lamp system.
Or - was it in the BCM somehow to not throw a fit when seeing a presence of voltage on the system when the brake pedal isn't pressed?

If they simply added a diode in the wiring - why, what triggered that change - and such a change would indicate they had KNOWN of issues with brake controllers! So why not include the diode in the brake controller pigtail - knowing that they had made a change for a reason and that change didn't exist in the 2019 builds?
I find it very hard to imagine that they added a diode in the truck's wiring. It would PROVE they knew of an issue but then IGNORED it at the same time? Engineers working on the solution? A high school student could figure the solution - make a controller harness with the diode since they knew of the issue in order to go through the big change control and revision process to add it to the truck.

I can't wait to see what they come up with! In any case, this is a clear "DUH" thing that should have never happened.

NORDNDED

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR, 2016 JKUR, 2015 JKURHR, 2015 F150, 1973 Ford Bronco
Damn I'm glad I went with the Redarc, as far as I know I was the first to do so back in June of last year and it has been flawless since then.

I had planned on "upgrading" to the Mopar when it became available to keep it OEM but I see now that I'm better off with the Redarc for now.

Reactions: KVJ

KVJ

First Name
Kenneth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport S W/Max Tow
Damn I'm glad I went with the Redarc, as far as I know I was the first to do so back in June of last year and it has been flawless since then.
Same with me. I did mine last June and have been able to pull the camper and enjoy it. I never had any thoughts of waiting for a OME controller when the Redarc fit the bill as well as the same location in the dash. I read of all the mods made by members of this forum to change the look of their JT to be "Theirs", wheels, bumpers, grills, gears, dash trim you name it but when it comes to the brake controller they want the Mopar. It fascinates me.

Sponsored

Jtleng

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
The below definitely matches the communication from Jeep to dealerships about this.
User​
Errors?​
Build date​
ACC?​
LED lighting?​
Aberk​
Y​
06/09/19​
Y​
Y​
jwilson2899​
Y​
07/06/19​
Y​
Y​
atoy74​
Y​
07/09/19​
Y​
Y​
ShadowsPapa​
Y​
11/09/19​
Y​
Y​
Jsands​
Y​
12/06/19​
Y​
Y​
jeepfitter​
N​
02/17/20​
Y​
Y​
Pdiddy​
N​
06/25/20​
Y​
Y​
Pitch​
N​
08/20/20​
Y​
?​
jaxmax​
N​
08/21/20​
N​
N​
kclendaniel​
N​
09/11/20​
Y​
?​
Monte.Trumbull​
N​
10/16/20​
Y​
Y​

Yes I do have the issue when the trailer brake button is pushed the error codes pop up.
Truck build, 5/2019
Taking my truck to the dealer today

OP
OP
ShadowsPapa

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Yes I do have the issue when the trailer brake button is pushed the error codes pop up.
Truck build, 5/2019
Taking my truck to the dealer today
Take a copy of this document!!!
The dealer CAN NOT FIX THIS ISSUE...... most are not even AWARE and if they call they will get BAD INFO.
There is quite literally no use unless you want to get on record for warranty - this document tells you all you need.

Jeep Gladiator POLL - for those who have the MOPAR official brake controller only 044DD5A4-59F8-4180-B3FB-907D1B3E90FF

Jtleng

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Take a copy of this document!!!
The dealer CAN NOT FIX THIS ISSUE...... most are not even AWARE and if they call they will get BAD INFO.
There is quite literally no use unless you want to get on record for warranty - this document tells you all you need.

044DD5A4-59F8-4180-B3FB-907D1B3E90FF.jpeg
I sent the Jeep dealer a copy of this and they Just called me back saying there is a new TSB out after this document on November 9th and they want me to bring my truck in to perform a flash that is supposed to fix the issue with the 2019 build gladiators.
They want to charge me of course.
Will update here when they finish.

OMTBiker

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR, '21 JLU 80th | Past '20 JTR, '18 JLUR
I sent the Jeep dealer a copy of this and they Just called me back saying there is a new TSB out after this document on November 9th and they want me to bring my truck in to perform a flash that is supposed to fix the issue with the 2019 build gladiators.
Can you get the TSB information for the update?

OP
OP
ShadowsPapa

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
They can't charge you as this is a covered warranty issue. It's a known issue that Jeep must fix - their treat. These have the same warranty coverage as your truck does, so any flash or update is on them. (otherwise parts like this have a 2 year warranty)

Sponsored

Jtleng

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
They can't charge you as this is a covered warranty issue. It's a known issue that Jeep must fix - their treat. These have the same warranty coverage as your truck does, so any flash or update is on them. (otherwise parts like this have a 2 year warranty)
At the Jeep dealer waiting, the service advisor said there are 2 updates, one to add the controller to the VIN and another to fix the issue. He did say he would give me a copy of the TSB when they finish. Hope this isn’t BS, more to come

OP
OP
ShadowsPapa

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
At the Jeep dealer waiting, the service advisor said there are 2 updates, one to add the controller to the VIN and another to fix the issue. He did say he would give me a copy of the TSB when they finish. Hope this isn’t BS, more to come
If they come through and you can get a pic or scan of the TSB I'll owe you a beer or 12.

I was actually expecting the fix to be a software update to the truck - looks like I could be right on that if this is correct. I asked "what changed December 2019 to January 2020 - did they change the BCM to accept the controller putting current onto the brake lamp system? That's what I've been wondering.

Jtleng

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Well🤨
So since my sport had the TOW package it didn’t need it added to the VIN and the “FIX” didn’t work💩
Back to the drawing board, I’ll have to put this 🚫 over the manual break button until they have a “fix”.

attached TSB, don’t look like it was directly related but the update had some good I guess.

Jeep Cares, I did my part, now it’s your turn.

BBD6C58D-E024-4681-82F8-E99E3DA5E88D.jpeg

D49F90E5-045D-4179-B5A4-99A0C048A53F.jpeg

4347A28F-D3DB-4538-8A41-D8885488ACC9.jpeg

OP
OP
ShadowsPapa

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Yup - you were due for the same PCM flash I got - very unrelated to the brake controller. False alert.
You would have gotten that PCM flash anyway, would be my guess.
I drove in for my wave oil change and tire rotation, they looked and found my VIN was due for a PCM flash.

I can't imagine the PCM being involved with the brake controller, all of the brake stuff goes through the BCM.

Willys2Gladiator

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Vehicle Showcase
So I'm getting ready to install mine. Did everyone mount the box as delivered or turn it around as the directions show?
Sponsored