Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JT sports S Max Tow (Sold) '23 Ram 1500
Occupation
Magician
Vehicle Showcase
Well. That. And what? The difference between 75 and 65 for a 200mile trip is what? About 20 minutes assuming no stops?
Meh, never gave it much thought regarding time. Personally speaking I enjoy my ride with an easy cruise speed where i feel I get the best mpg. Specifically on both my jt, and old jk, the less time i spent over 2k rpms cruising the happier I was.

Started planning my regear recently so fingers crossed i dont f my rpm range up
Sponsored

immaechu

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S w/ Max Tow / 2005 Honda Accord Coupe w/ Air Suspension
Occupation
Owner of printing company
Vehicle Showcase
I had a CAI and loved the growl it gave the engine, but can safely say I didnt notice any MPG increase. I DID however notice that while accelerating I would have a random rapid low whistle around the switch from 2nd to 3rd gear. Turns out the OEM intake has sound chambers on it that deaden the whine sounds. I ultimately switched back from the CAI to stock. I miss the growl and may look at them again after my warranty is up.

If you're interested Ill sell you the airraid one I have cheap so you can try for your self. Its just sitting in my garage taking up space.

I recently switched from a hard trifold to the soft rolling and actually didnt notice any change in MPG up or down.
Still got that airraid available?

Blade1668

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
90XJ, 91XJ, 91MJ, 05 LJ, 20 JT
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I would be willing to do just about anything to improve this though. This was a flat road with the cruise set to 75.
IMG_0311.JPEG
Best option to help with that your not going to like.... Drop 25 miles per hour of speed, if I can and do keep it at 50 MPH I average around 27 MPG. That range I have seen last summer and as recently as last week when I drove the Natchaz Trace and max speed of 50 MPH and did just that. Now something else I've seen is at slightly slower in 40-45 MPH I lost MPG due to dropping out of 8th. That can be "helped" to not down shift by putting in manual mode in 8th. But if you need to "kick it in ass" it'll down shift but not upshift. Not good if your droning along and need to step it up suddenly and have cruze control on. It will drop to 5th and jump RPM's to just about red line.
The caveat is with stock tires, rims "driving like grandpa" ect. But with a reasonable larger than stock should still be able to get 20 or so MPG.

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
I would be willing to do just about anything to improve this though. This was a flat road with the cruise set to 75.
IMG_0311.JPEG
As long as I stay below 80 in mine I was able to maintain around 18.3 mpgs on 35's and I'm at 17.3 mpgs on 37's. I am around 50/50 hwy city driving. CAI isn't going to yield you any more Mpgs unless you do some tuning to your vehicle. Putting thought into the aerodynamics and how it came stock is going to get you the best possible solution for mpg gains. One of the reasons the Max Tow get the better gas mileage is because of the 4.10 gearing and how it's setup in the front bumper wise for aerodynamics. When I switching out mine to a different bumper I made a decision on a full width and high clearance bumper because it was as wide as the stock one and filled in the fender gap between the bumper and fender. The more air that gets up inside there the less Mpgs your going to see because of wind drag. Also tires and wheels, weight etc all come I to play. One of the reasons I kept my stock wheels and went with a light 35 and now 37 tire. When these tires wear out I'm looking at a even lighter 37 tire. Just some things to think about. Mine sits like this and I can easily get 17.3 in mine and probably more than that if I go on a long trip, that's just local driving.

Jeep Gladiator Post up your cold air intakes and experience? Looking for better mpg PXL_20210224_182008948

cecaa850

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator 2019 Porsche Macan S 2018 BMW M2
Laugh if you want but a hard bed cover helped with my mileage.

Sponsored

KurtP

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S/C Mojave
Occupation
Only Fans Content Creator
Tuning is primary, but an intake will help even when not tuned. ECU’s adjust fuel to air; not vice versa.

Last edited:

Davesnothereman

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06 Liberty
The thing I’ve noticed about having the tailgate up, tailgate down and cover vs no cover is that the cover made the biggest difference. Stuff isn’t going to blow out the back of your truck if you leave the tailgate down but I suspect that’s going to mess with the factory dynamics of aerodynamics of the entire vehicle. With the tailgate up, you get suction and pull, that’s why everything flies out. My guess is that a cab would be the best thing for mpg but a cover works. As far as CAI, I don’t like that name, it implies that cold air is responsible for the gains and it should be renamed “forced air intake”. But I really don’t see how an aftermarket intake will help force more air (unless the opening is bigger) or the filter being superior. I could see how getting rid of the filter would help restriction but then you don’t have a filter. Tuners sound plausible though. IMO it seems that people that have a lead foot will benefit the most from these upgrades but they’re not gonna out MPG the person who has a lighter foot.

KurtP

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S/C Mojave
Occupation
Only Fans Content Creator
The thing I’ve noticed about having the tailgate up, tailgate down and cover vs no cover is that the cover made the biggest difference. Stuff isn’t going to blow out the back of your truck if you leave the tailgate down but I suspect that’s going to mess with the factory dynamics of aerodynamics of the entire vehicle. With the tailgate up, you get suction and pull, that’s why everything flies out. My guess is that a cab would be the best thing for mpg but a cover works. As far as CAI, I don’t like that name, it implies that cold air is responsible for the gains and it should be renamed “forced air intake”. But I really don’t see how an aftermarket intake will help force more air (unless the opening is bigger) or the filter being superior. I could see how getting rid of the filter would help restriction but then you don’t have a filter. Tuners sound plausible though. IMO it seems that people that have a lead foot will benefit the most from these upgrades but they’re not gonna out MPG the person who has a lighter foot.
You have to understand how fuel trim adaptation works. I think “high flow intake” is the best name.

There’s a thread explaining how fuel trim adaptation works; and it’s about how ecu’s adapt to fluid dynamics and friction of air through a pipe.

Gren71

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Magician
Vehicle Showcase
Still got that airraid available?
Nope, i ended up throwing it in to sweeten a deal to sell my hard trifold last year.
I have an afe intake and like it

immaechu

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S w/ Max Tow / 2005 Honda Accord Coupe w/ Air Suspension
Occupation
Owner of printing company
Vehicle Showcase
Nope, i ended up throwing it in to sweeten a deal to sell my hard trifold last year.
I have an afe intake and like it

Which AFE intake do you have? and do you have the exhaust too?

Sponsored

Gren71

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Magician
Vehicle Showcase

jfhull71

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator, Gator Sport S
Occupation
Millwright
This has been proven to not be the case. There are no MPG gains from adding a cover to a truck of any kind. I got caught in a rain storm before I put the Bedcover on and had a rug in the bed of the truck. I drove through it thinking the rug was going to be soaking wet but was surprised when I stopped at a gas station to find the rug was barely wet, like only a few drops on it. Trucks are designed to force air over and around the bed and not down into it, which is pretty much why you can put stuff in the bed and drive and not worry about it blowing out unless it's sticking up above the rails. I saw zero mpg gains on mine after adding the Tri-Fold cover to mine
Same here, got it to protect items in the bed

mike921921

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Altitude
Occupation
Retired
Of all the reading I've done on here about them, the only thing they appear to do is alter the sound and allow more dirt in through the filter. If I was ever to install one, I would put in the Mopar unit so that any future engine issues could not be blamed on the third party air intake.
Years ago I read about a guy with a WK who installed a Mopar CAI and was still denied warranty engine service because of it.

Jaxmax

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps....... 2021 Mojave , 2019 Wrangler
Occupation
Electrical Manager
I would have a real problem if dealer does not warranty a mopar part that is avalible to be installed by dealer.
The Mopar CAI is different compared to almost all the rest, still uses the factory lower end of filter box with drains, and addtional air inlet in grill, sucks in air at same place as factory ( if not opening hood) and filter is same size as OEM, no oil involved and OEM filter works in air box also. Some one opening the hood even at a dealer won't even notice the difference, but the difference is the air tube is huge, restrictions on inside of air box lid are removed, and it gives less restriction to airflow. Does it help, I think so at the top end, and my mileage has gone up , but too many variables, just hit 4500 miles and that is also when it is reported the gas mileage gets better, starting to get warmer, and I have been doing only local short drives. If I could do 50/50 driving I would expect it to go up pretty much, and I don't need to drive much above say 68. I did one highway drive last weekend to pick up a skid plate for wifes JL, my long term average went from 17.5 to 19 in the four hours of driving, and was hitting some pretty good numbers in 8th in Maryland sort of flat area.
Does it sound better, yes but just marginally, BUT I'm very happy!.....Jack

XraytecH

First Name
Bernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport
Occupation
Xraytech
Vehicle Showcase
Last edited: