Sponsored

Cold Air Intakes are a waste

Koja

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Hydra Blue Gladiator (LEMON), 2021 Hydra blueJT 04 Rubicon, 04 Ultra classic
Occupation
Retired Sailor, what ever i can scrape together
CAI work great, For a natural carborated motor. Not what we have now..
Sponsored

Riccochet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JKR | 2020 Ram 2500 | 2021 JT Sport
$1400 and only 25? You would have to be a giant moron to do that....if even that is really even that.
I take it you're not in to modding engines for power. I've spent way more than $1400 for less than 25 HP gains. Pretty sure the long tubes and full exhaust system on my Ram was over $2000 for about 5 HP. It's not what the long tubes and exhaust did by themselves, it's what they allowed the Whipple to do with greater ease.

Moe_Fugga

Banned
Banned
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
The only good CAI systems do is in weight savings from all that cash that isn't in your pockets.

OP
OP

WaterDR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Overland
Vehicle Showcase
I take it you're not in to modding engines for power. I've spent way more than $1400 for less than 25 HP gains. Pretty sure the long tubes and full exhaust system on my Ram was over $2000 for about 5 HP. It's not what the long tubes and exhaust did by themselves, it's what they allowed the Whipple to do with greater ease.
no. A recovered modder.

KurtP

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S/C Mojave
Occupation
Only Fans Content Creator
Gains

Jeep Gladiator Cold Air Intakes are a waste FCD16825-93F0-4F7D-8BE0-194D4BB9F0ED
Jeep Gladiator Cold Air Intakes are a waste FEDD187A-DC61-4042-AEF0-1502979DF6CD
Jeep Gladiator Cold Air Intakes are a waste 8F288591-2000-42B3-9B57-3BA57505A0C5
Jeep Gladiator Cold Air Intakes are a waste 9948AFBA-0947-4701-8A33-C312A1B81A79
Jeep Gladiator Cold Air Intakes are a waste B99ACEF7-6019-4052-981C-98519C06D11A

Sponsored

TrainMan

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Chevy Silverado, 2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S.
This doesn't really have to do with a cold air intake system, but rather the air filter itself. A guy on YouTube (Project Farm) tested various air filters for airflow, filtering, and acceleration. The K&N was the fastest at acceleration, and had the best airflow. Unfortunately it also filtered the worse. Letting in more particles than all the others. So remember that performance can come at a sacrifice.

KurtP

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S/C Mojave
Occupation
Filter size, box size, tube size, air velocity are also at play

Jaxmax

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps....... 2021 Mojave , 2019 Wrangler
Occupation
Electrical Manager
I feel like I'm stalking you Kurt, but I know CAI might not work but love the look of the mopar unit, and hate the look of all the "resonstors'" hanging every where. I would be interested in your seat of pants feeling on sound, huge power increase and huge MPG gains! I did notice the Mojave is the only one it doesn't fit per Mopar, cause of the different hood profile for the grill......Jack

KurtP

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S/C Mojave
Occupation
I feel like I'm stalking you Kurt, but I know CAI might not work but love the look of the mopar unit, and hate the look of all the "resonstors'" hanging every where. I would be interested in your seat of pants feeling on sound, huge power increase and huge MPG gains! I did notice the Mojave is the only one it doesn't fit per Mopar, cause of the different hood profile for the grill......Jack
i did not install the hood cut grill. A snorkel is the only reason I would cut my hood.

it picked up power up top, and further helped the pedal feel. The sound is great. Not too loud or obnoxious, but a nice tone when you stand on it. It also decluttered the corner of the engine bay where those stupid resonators were before making getting the pulsar in and out a lot easier For dealer visits/reflashes/updates. Its also nice to be able to run a more performance oriented filter commuting on the road and be able to drop a paper filter in for the dusty conditions out west.

im curious to see what kind of MPG increase it nets, but It’ll depend on what happens with STFT. the Pulsar netted me damn near 4mpg, Id be ecstatic to see 1mpg. I had a 200mile all combined mpg of 18.9 last week. Pretty good for 37’s and 4.10’s.

Last edited:

KurtP

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S/C Mojave
Occupation
commute loop half done......its looking promising to say the least.

Sponsored

KurtP

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S/C Mojave
Occupation
same loop i always drive. Mix of interstate, highway, stop light to stop light, and rolling hill country road. Its about as “combined” as a loop can be. Drive is the same. Accelerate from light with traffic, on highway and interstate i do about 5mph over. Cruise control used as much as possible.

-my average stock on stock 33” mud terrains was 18.5. All time high was 20.4, which i only saw once.

-i did not complete the loop stock with pulsar only

-37” AT’s and Pulsar was driven 3 times. best of the 3 was 18.9

-today with 37’s, pulsar, and mopar intake. the drive was overall pretty clear minus some city congestion that held me up a bit. so probably not a record day, but a high-average day would be my guess. There were two hills that i track where it stayed in 8th with the intake that it downshifted to 7th without.

-pulsar is always set to 91oct “performance”.

que point and sputter.

Jeep Gladiator Cold Air Intakes are a waste FE6BC57E-6858-4CF9-A140-162AEB6DEBA8

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
I've had a K&N oiled filter in my 2012 JK since day 1. Over 120k miles on it, with Blackstone tests done at every oil change, engine is perfect. I've been in some nasty dusty conditions in Uwharrie. Never once have I noticed any dirt in the intake, throttle body or upper plenum that made it past the filter.

YMMV
Same here on my JKU when I got rid of it with 132,000 miles on it. Been in dusty conditions at URE and other places as well only difference is I had my standard stock Intake on mine. CAI are for looks and sounds on these things and nothing more. Zero performance gains. I ran a k/n CAI on my JKU for about 10,000 miles and I almost want to say I got worse gas mileage with it installed than the stock one.

RedRaptorJT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR Launch Edition
Great stuff KurtP. Keep the updates coming. Not about proving who's right and wrong but at least to hear the debate from both sides.

I know you said you're not gonna cut the hood but I'm willing to put if you did, you'll see an increase in your numbers as well.

KurtP

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S/C Mojave
Occupation
Great stuff KurtP. Keep the updates coming. Not about proving who's right and wrong but at least to hear the debate from both sides.

I know you said you're not gonna cut the hood but I'm willing to put if you did, you'll see an increase in your numbers as well.
possibly. im not sure if the hood vent cut removes any restriction or not. At this point im not looking for more outright power, its just about lower rpm efficiency to get the ecu to do what i want it to do with STFT. So i could see the hood vent working at highload/WOT, but its not likely Id see the change where Im looking for it.

vent wouldnt fit my hood anyway, so its moot in my case.

KurtP

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S/C Mojave
Occupation
113.5mi; computer said 22, hand calc was 21mpg. Pulsar, mopar intake, 37’s and 4.10’s.

its almost like they work.
Sponsored

Last edited: