Sponsored

Post up your cold air intakes and experience? Looking for better mpg

cecaa850

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator 2019 Porsche Macan S 2018 BMW M2
I just installed a Mishimoto CAI

https://www.mishimoto.com/jeep-wrangler-36l-performance-intake-2018.html#prettyPhoto

Similar to the MOPAR CAI but is CARB Compliant. It's the only aftermarket CAI I could get shipped to California. Ordered on Amazon Friday morning, arrived Saturday afternoon.

CARB-EO-D-759-9_1.png

mmai-jlp-18_1.jpg

MMAI-JLP-18_3_1.png

MMAI-JLP-18_2_1.png
The stock intake actually has more hp and torque below 3300 rpms than the Mishimoto according to the dyno chart on their site. Do you notice that during normal driving?
Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT Rubi, 18 JLU Rubi, 2008 JKU Rubi, 07 Vette
Looking for info on cold air intakes. I’ve search and it looks as they are frowned upon. But I’m looking for better mpg and sound, not performance. I see they do help with increase of air. Looking to buy either banks or corsa
If you get improved MPG from a CAI, it is because you are driving differently or your imagination. That's straight from an FCA engineer who designed the Pentastar. If there were more MPGs to be had that way, they'd have done it. But it will look good and sound cool, for sure. He says you'll gain 1-3mpg running 93 octane in a 3.6 and slight smoothness for reasons to complicated for me to remember, but I haven't perceived that in mine.

If you are hell-bent on trying, I'd look at Banks. Theirs easily has the most air flow. And be careful of dyno reports. Most dynos can be cheated to make customers think they gained a bunch of power.

Final thought. You WILL sacrifice filtering efficiency with an oiled or dry cloth filter compared to paper and/or synthetic fiber. Not good if you are off-road in dusty environments.

If you want better mileage, get a diesel. But you'll pay far more than what you save in gas in several ways.

DAVECS1

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Where most of these fall down is at the attatchment point of the air filter to the pipe. If that point is small or kinked the boundry layer just grows from there restricting airflow. It is actually the reason factory has corrugations in that spot. I have seen a couple intakes address it, like Banks.

2 . The actuall air intake to the box. Some are all the way open. Making the filter work over time, if it is of quality. Heat from the engine may or may not be managed and air flow aroind the filter may be turbulent. The closed off ones not sure if they are the right size by testing or what looked good in CAD. Wind tunnel testing would be the best way to determine this.

3. Filter quality is extremely important. Some of rhe highflow filters are just that, and are not picky on what they let through. Sand and dirt is full of silica and similar particals. Killers to piston rings. The OEM filter has selection requirements that looks very closely at this performance. You can also find filter efficiency information on decent filter manufacturer sites like WIX and Donaldson. I like the idea of cold air intakes but once you know you know and selection criteria is kind of mind boggling.

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
Is anyone familiar with this?
2020 Jeep Gladiator Genuine Mopar Engine Air Filter - High Flow

Part Number: P5160245AA
1595017853028.png

It is an OEM part, but the "discounted" price is over $97. Looks similar to a washable K&N, but without the oil.
That is the filter that comes with the Mopar CAI kit. It is a washable filter that fits the stock air box.

XraytecH

First Name
Bernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport
Occupation
Xraytech
Vehicle Showcase
The stock intake actually has more hp and torque below 3300 rpms than the Mishimoto according to the dyno chart on their site. Do you notice that during normal driving?
Not really, then again any type of gains or losses are pretty mental when it comes to these things. I do gain a little more throttle response? Then again, it's all mental. More curious about MPG.

Sponsored

BuckSawLilandtheGoose

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I have an S&B intake that I'm about to take off since it reduces your horsepower by 19 by using it. I do like the sound but I'd rather have more power. Plus I have magnaflow crawler exhaust which has a nice tone. I will put it up for sale shortly if anyone is interested in picking up cheap.

Courtsm3

First Name
Kayle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
Thin Blue Line
Curious
I just installed a Mishimoto CAI

https://www.mishimoto.com/jeep-wrangler-36l-performance-intake-2018.html#prettyPhoto

Similar to the MOPAR CAI but is CARB Compliant. It's one of a few aftermarket CAI I could get shipped to California. Ordered on Amazon Friday morning, arrived Saturday afternoon.

CARB-EO-D-759-9_1.png

mmai-jlp-18_1.jpg

MMAI-JLP-18_3_1.png

MMAI-JLP-18_2_1.png

IMG_8641.jpg
Curious about this option as well as the Mopar for towing. I have AEV snorkel so it needs to plumb into the lower box. Did it come with a silicone plug for the top hot air inlet?

XraytecH

First Name
Bernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport
Occupation
Xraytech
Vehicle Showcase
Curious

Curious about this option as well as the Mopar for towing. I have AEV snorkel so it needs to plumb into the lower box. Did it come with a silicone plug for the top hot air inlet?
No it does not.

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
Curious

The Mopar CAI leaves the lower box intact. It replaces the upper cover and the air tube. It comes with a washable filter. I used the OEM paper filter instead of the washable.

USMC-SSGT

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Aluminum tubing transport
I have an S&B intake that I'm about to take off since it reduces your horsepower by 19 by using it. I do like the sound but I'd rather have more power. Plus I have magnaflow crawler exhaust which has a nice tone. I will put it up for sale shortly if anyone is interested in picking up cheap.
@BuckSawLilandtheGoose

Was about to order one and read this. Curios about your mention of a loss of 19hp.

Sponsored

BuckSawLilandtheGoose

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
@BuckSawLilandtheGoose

Was about to order one and read this. Curios about your mention of a loss of 19hp.
Sorry for the very late reply. Yes if you search YouTube for S & b intake on Jeep 3.6 you will see the video that shows on a dyno the loss of 19 horsepower.

Gren71

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JT sports S Max Tow (Sold) '23 Ram 1500
Occupation
Magician
Vehicle Showcase
can some one with the MPP intake answer this for me.

Does your engine whistle with acceleration with the MPP intake?

I like the idea of the MPP one but when I had a different CAI it whistled like crazy with acceleration. After talking to the manufacturer of the CAI they said that was the sound of the engines respiration. The MPP has a similar straight pipe from the intake to the engine, just like the other CAI i had. Which makes me wonder if it will make the same noise.

If you look on the stock intake it has little chambers on it that apparently are made to deaden that whistle with acceleration.

Currently I have an AFE intake that I got specifically because it has the chambers on it. I still get the whistle some times, but not often.

The only reason I want to look at the MPP is that its made by jeep, for the jeep. So I honestly think it will provide the most benefit.

Aonarch

First Name
Alec
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Engineer
I'm enjoying the Mishimoto intake. It fits very well and seems to perform well via my butt dyno. My tune was built with it installed as well.

Check out their engineering pdf on their website. Pretty neat.

20211201_153212.jpg

jac04

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave, 2014 JKRX SWB
can some one with the MPP intake answer this for me.

Does your engine whistle with acceleration with the MPP intake?
I'm using the Mopar intake with the standard factory paper-type air filter (not the 'performance' filter that came with the intake).

I haven't noticed any whistle noise at all, just induction noise.

Gren71

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JT sports S Max Tow (Sold) '23 Ram 1500
Occupation
Magician
Vehicle Showcase
I'm using the Mopar intake with the standard factory paper-type air filter (not the 'performance' filter that came with the intake).

I haven't noticed any whistle noise at all, just induction noise.
how would you describe induction noise?
Sponsored