Sponsored

Cold Air Intakes are a waste

Riccochet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JKR | 2020 Ram 2500 | 2021 JT Sport
Same here on my JKU when I got rid of it with 132,000 miles on it. Been in dusty conditions at URE and other places as well only difference is I had my standard stock Intake on mine. CAI are for looks and sounds on these things and nothing more. Zero performance gains. I ran a k/n CAI on my JKU for about 10,000 miles and I almost want to say I got worse gas mileage with it installed than the stock one.
Yup. Just the filter on my JKR, stock intake. I'm never selling my JKR and with how good the K&N has worked I'll run that filter until the engine blows up. And it won't be because of the filter.
Sponsored

DankjeeP

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR, '98 XJ, '17 FLHXS
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
HW Engineer
Here's my amateur observation on this as I've checked out a couple after market CAIs. For most the intake is at the exact same spot the factory is at. What is the purpose for doing this?

https://www.quadratec.com/vehicle/jeep-gladiator-jt-parts/jeep-engine-fuel-system/air-intakes

Look at the intakes that are not snorkels and boast themselves as CAIs and tell me what the difference is.
Precisly what I noticed when I saw the Mopar CAI. Looks the same as stock except I think they cut a hole in the hood. or something like that?

KurtP

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S/C Mojave
Occupation
Only Fans Content Creator
Here's my amateur observation on this as I've checked out a couple after market CAIs. For most the intake is at the exact same spot the factory is at. What is the purpose for doing this?

https://www.quadratec.com/vehicle/jeep-gladiator-jt-parts/jeep-engine-fuel-system/air-intakes

Look at the intakes that are not snorkels and boast themselves as CAIs and tell me what the difference is.
flow rate. Theres a reason the airbox is substantially larger on other variations of the 3.6..... the mopar one works really well. I suspect the Holley is probably the best, but the lack of filter options and dealer hassle steered me this way. Now i can run an AFE cone-like filter, or a kn or mopar panel filter, or even a stock paper filter if im headed to heavy dust.

Jeep Gladiator Cold Air Intakes are a waste 68C05E52-03A5-457D-9BF4-D9ECD5343474
Jeep Gladiator Cold Air Intakes are a waste B557C659-C510-4744-8FD8-AD1B7B735D25
Jeep Gladiator Cold Air Intakes are a waste A3570DC5-F33C-42BE-BB44-AB9AA0F0A124
Jeep Gladiator Cold Air Intakes are a waste 8CC14255-7A25-4430-80A0-13E041EE304A

DreamedofaJeepSomeday

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland 6-speed. 2004 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4x4, gave to daughter w/350K miles
Occupation
Civil Engineer
flow rate. Theres a reason the airbox is substantially larger on other variations of the 3.6..... the mopar one works really well. I suspect the Holley is probably the best, but the lack of filter options and dealer hassle steered me this way. Now i can run an AFE cone-like filter, or a kn or mopar panel filter, or even a stock paper filter if im headed to heavy dust.

Jeep Gladiator Cold Air Intakes are a waste 8CC14255-7A25-4430-80A0-13E041EE304A
Obviously much bigger. This has probably been asked before: is the hood grille functional? Apparently it still sucks most air from inside the hood?

KurtP

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S/C Mojave
Occupation
Obviously much bigger. This has probably been asked before: is the hood grille functional? Apparently it still sucks most air from inside the hood?
the hood grill is functional with a removable Block off plate. When removed it would pull air directly from outside. i did not cut my hood for the grill, but will for a snorkel in a bit. the grill rivets to the hood and i dont see the point when a snorkel is planned. If i wasnt going that route i would install the grill.

i think “high flow intake” is a better name than “cold air intake” for everything we are seeing. i already had the pulsar first, but it made a perceptible change for me. Last 113.5mi trip i got 22mpg (computer: hand calc 21, but i always just go by comp) while on 37’s and stock 4.10’s. it again reduced downshifting on the highway. Stock on stock 33’s i was getting ~18.5 usually On that same route. New tire diameter was calculated with the circumference method and loaded via the pulsar speedo is accurate to the mph as high as 80 against a stand alone gps

Sponsored

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
the hood grill is functional with a removable Block off plate. When removed it would pull air directly from outside. i did not cut my hood for the grill, but will for a snorkel in a bit. the grill rivets to the hood and i dont see the point when a snorkel is planned. If i wasnt going that route i would install the grill.

i think “high flow intake” is a better name than “cold air intake” for everything we are seeing. i already had the pulsar first, but it made a perceptible change for me. Last 113.5mi trip i got 22mpg (computer: hand calc 21, but i always just go by comp) while on 37’s and stock 4.10’s. it again reduced downshifting on the highway. Stock on stock 33’s i was getting ~18.5 usually On that same route. New tire diameter was calculated with the circumference method and loaded via the pulsar speedo is accurate to the mph as high as 80 against a stand alone gps
What all kind of setup are you running as far as the engine performance parts. Sorry I'm just curious because those are excellent numbers and if I could get close to those on 37' I'd be willing to spend the money on it. I just hoping for 17mpg on 37's but if I can get 18 or 19 that would be great

KurtP

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S/C Mojave
Occupation

KurtP

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S/C Mojave
Occupation
What all kind of setup are you running as far as the engine performance parts. Sorry I'm just curious because those are excellent numbers and if I could get close to those on 37' I'd be willing to spend the money on it. I just hoping for 17mpg on 37's but if I can get 18 or 19 that would be great
yeah its been a big boon for sure. Im a solid 4mpg higher now than i was stock.

short version: 37” fallen AT’s, Pulsar on 91oct performance file, mopar intake with AFE proguard 7 filter. stock 4.10 gears.

long version: we’re manipulating the short term fuel trim protocols of the ecu to force it to add fuel and make more power, so that we can overcome the overly tall over drives of the stock gearing. the Pulsar is the biggest part of the ticket with new mapping. Higher flowing intake and exhaust are the last 2/10’s. By getting air in and out of the motor more efficiently, the ecu needs to add more fuel to keep stoic fuel trim signal from the o2. this means we make more power at lower engine load and prevent more of the downshifts.

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
yeah its been a big boon for sure. Im a solid 4mpg higher now than i was stock.

short version: 37” fallen AT’s, Pulsar on 91oct performance file, mopar intake with AFE proguard 7 filter. stock 4.10 gears.

long version: we’re manipulating the short term fuel trim protocols of the ecu to force it to add fuel and make more power, so that we can overcome the overly tall over drives of the stock gearing. the Pulsar is the biggest part of the ticket with new mapping. Higher flowing intake and exhaust are the last 2/10’s. By getting air in and out of the motor more efficiently, the ecu needs to add more fuel to keep stoic fuel trim signal from the o2. this means we make more power at lower engine load and prevent more of the downshifts.
Awesome, only problem I got is there aren't hardly any Gas stations in my area that sells 91 it's 87, 89, or 93 and E85. I'm definitely going to look into it though

KurtP

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S/C Mojave
Occupation
Awesome, only problem I got is there aren't hardly any Gas stations in my area that sells 91 it's 87, 89, or 93 and E85. I'm definitely going to look into it though
i run 93 on the 91 file. There are 2 files within the pulsar that are 87 tunes. Economy and tow.

Sponsored

KurtP

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S/C Mojave
Occupation
Is the pulsar compatible with the taser mini?
im not sure. Dont have it.the pulsar handles gear change; ess memory; and tire size change. i think you can still access ecu functions through the pulsar filter, but youd have to ask @Superchips_Mrktg

KurtP

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S/C Mojave
Occupation
Exhaust and gears soon.........
Sponsored