jac04

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave, 2014 JKRX SWB
how would you describe induction noise?
Well, I guess I'm not sure exactly how to describe it. Definitely not a whistle.
Sponsored

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Looking for info on cold air intakes. I’ve search and it looks as they are frowned upon. But I’m looking for better mpg and sound, not performance. I see they do help with increase of air. Looking to buy either banks or corsa
CAI's only increase efficiency at wide open throttle.(WOT) Which kind of works against your mileage.

Look at it this way. At any throttle setting other than WOT there is a throttle plate in the intake blocking most of the air. The motor is "working hard" against the throttle plate. The fuel injection senses the lowered air pressure on the motor side of the throttle plate (called manifold pressure or manifold absolute pressure (MAP)depending on the industry) and meters fuel accordingly to get the correct air fuel ratio (A:F).

So the only time, the air filter matters, even if we assume it flows better, which is a big assumption, is when the throttle is wide open and the amount of air getting to the engine is dependent on how well the air filter flows.

I hope this makes sense.

CAIs are fun because they let you hear induction noise when you stand on it, but isn't obnoxious on trips like a loud exhaust. So that's kind of cool. But that's about it. That's worth $100 to me. Not $500. Also, I realize its dependent on the CAI, but Jeep goes through a lot of trouble to protect the regular intake from water. How well would your CAI manage water?

Last edited:

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I agree that there may be areas of the tune that can be improved upon performance wise and MPG wise. There always is. I'd be willing to bet my vast fortune (in nickels, dimes, and quarters, it would fit in a #2 washtub) that the resulting tune would either be potentially harmful to the powertrain or nowhere near being 50 state legal from an emissions standpoint.

A chuck in a truck with a laptop connected to your ECM is all fine and good. He doesn't have quite the restrictions the Jeep guys have when it comes to ECM tuning.
One of the restrictions OEMs have is that the cat needs to light off within a certain amount of time. To do that they run the engine rich so more fuel goes into the cat. This hurts fuel efficiency obviously. But if it lights off the cat in 2 minutes rather than 4 then the world is a better place according to our Governmental Overlords.

mcccop_04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
How about the AFE dry filter and new tube (super stock induction) . Keeps the factory box, would this allow for some induction noise? When on sale it's under 200 and cleans up the bay a little bit.

jac04

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
How about the AFE dry filter and new tube (super stock induction) . Keeps the factory box, would this allow for some induction noise? When on sale it's under 200 and cleans up the bay a little bit.
I would anticipate a little more induction noise from that setup because it eliminates the resonance chambers of the stock tube.

If you are looking for just a little more induction sound, it is tough to beat the Mopar intake IMO. I run mine with the factory filter, and I am surprised at how good it sounds without being too noticeable during normal driving. Retaining the factory air filter means no worries about proper filtration. Plus, you can sell the leftover parts ('performance' air filter and hood opening parts) and end up at about $200.

Sponsored

mcccop_04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
I would anticipate a little more induction noise from that setup because it eliminates the resonance chambers of the stock tube.

If you are looking for just a little more induction sound, it is tough to beat the Mopar intake IMO. I run mine with the factory filter, and I am surprised at how good it sounds without being too noticeable during normal driving. Retaining the factory air filter means no worries about proper filtration. Plus, you can sell the leftover parts ('performance' air filter and hood opening parts) and end up at about $200.
Interesting option, why don't you care for the performance filter from Mopar? Is it a k&n clone or something?

jac04

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Interesting option, why don't you care for the performance filter from Mopar? Is it a k&n clone or something?
My opinion is that any type of 'performance' or 'high flow' air filter compromises filtration. I only use OEM/factory air filters in all of my vehicles and change them more often than required.

jmdwifi

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Wireless Network engineer, Drummer of WOLF LEGION
Vehicle Showcase
I'm sure people will think I'm making this up too. It does read about 1 to 1.2 mpg high from what I calculate at the pump.

20200605_072516.jpg
Well, it's 73 degrees. I'm sure MPGs go up at that point.

Jeepin' John

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JT Sport S
Occupation
Structural Engineer
Cold air intakes are better at any rpm for power and gas mileage - that's why the oem intake is a cold air intake.

PV=nRT

You want to increase "n" moles of air. You can do that at any rpm by lowering "T" all else being constant. That applies for any rpm.

You can also increase "n" by "increasing" "P" but that is where the throttle plate is the limit at low rpm and is not the limit at high rpm, where the intake system might contribute to the limit.

So yes, cold air intakes help at any rpm.

Last edited:

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
My opinion is that any type of 'performance' or 'high flow' air filter compromises filtration. I only use OEM/factory air filters in all of my vehicles and change them more often than required.
You've maybe seen the charts I posted comparing filters and filtration........ the K&N loses big time and dyno testing shows they only really help at very high RPM. They let tons of dirt through, though. I'm done with them after seeing the REAL scientific studies in controlled conditions and a couple of dyno tests.
What good is it gaining a couple HP at 4500-5,000 rpm or better yet letting a lot of dirt in?
If you race your Gladiator, fine, but if you want it to live long - meh....
Anyway, it's not just your opinion, I have charts that prove it.

Sponsored

MojaveCT

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator mojave
Occupation
Automotive Sales Professional
Looking for info on cold air intakes. I’ve search and it looks as they are frowned upon. But I’m looking for better mpg and sound, not performance. I see they do help with increase of air. Looking to buy either banks or corsa
$450 for a cold air intake, yoi won't own it long enough to pay for the slightest increase if any at all, it might sound better therefore you will press the skinny pedal harder making fuel mileage possibly worse.

Courtsm3

First Name
Kayle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
Thin Blue Line
I'm enjoying the Mishimoto intake. It fits very well and seems to perform well via my butt dyno. My tune was built with it installed as well.

Check out their engineering pdf on their website. Pretty neat.

20211201_153212.jpg
Mine should be here anyday, im excited, appears one of a few intakes that are tuned to the 3.6 powerband.

JLT “third party tester” for S&B just posted a new video of a dyno on a 3.6. It made 5hp and 10lbft throughout the powerband. I would this is very realistic for most intakes that use a resonator which has been said to be important on the 3.6.

That previous youtube video was a bit weird, it lost 19hp? But everyone always claims intakes wont do anything but make noise. So it was a head scratcher for me. My 20’ 3.6 sport s on 35” with a magnaflow crawler 2.5” and mopar intake kit was consistently getting 20-22mpg, my mojave on stock with 35” is getting about 16-17mpg. You would think 4.10 gearing would help mpg but so far not tge case. Im giving the dynomax quiet crawler and mishimoto intake a chance. Love a bit of noise, anything else is secondary for sure. I will report back soon.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
You would think 4.10 gearing would help mpg but so far not tge case.
Why would that ratio help mpg?
You are running the engine faster for a given road speed.

5hp and 10lbft throughout the powerband.
Sorry, have doubts about that - especially since most people who run dyno testing like that don't take into account the learning and tweaking of the mapping that takes place when things change.
It's like people putting in a single tank of different gas and swearing it was a big difference.
You aren't going to swap those intakes and get instant results, especially of 5 hp throughout.
I wonder if they made sure every other little detail was identical - such a the air temperature, humidity, engine coolant temperature and more.
YT stuff is so out there.

Courtsm3

First Name
Kayle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Thin Blue Line
Why would that ratio help mpg?
You are running the engine faster for a given road speed.

Sorry, have doubts about that - especially since most people who run dyno testing like that don't take into account the learning and tweaking of the mapping that takes place when things change.
It's like people putting in a single tank of different gas and swearing it was a big difference.
You aren't going to swap those intakes and get instant results, especially of 5 hp throughout.
I wonder if they made sure every other little detail was identical - such a the air temperature, humidity, engine coolant temperature and more.
YT stuff is so out there.
Yeah its done by JLT, a very reputable tuner and its on the S&B youtube channel. Its a good watch. He overlaps likewise runs as far as temps and AF. It makes power throughout.

Yeah well the theory is 3.73 struggles with heavier larger 35” tires compared to 4.10s. Not sure why my 22’ Mojave is significantly worse than my 20’ sport s. Very similar builds and driving habits. Maybe the new tuning on 21’ 22’s??

Courtsm3

First Name
Kayle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Thin Blue Line
Heres the link, good watch. Dont disagree it aint much but people like myself cant justify $8000 superchargers that seem to be causing issues anyways. I dont mind a $400 intake.

Sponsored