Sponsored

Practical, Useful, or just Cool

Krash1642

First Name
C. Brown
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1984 CJ 7 (Bessie), 2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S Bright White (DJ), 2016 Jeep JK Willy’s (traded for wife to get Ford Focus due to work), 2018 JLU Sahara (Wife’s traded for JT)
Occupation
Teacher
Vehicle Showcase
As long as you dont need the bed for work or play, then I think the canopy is great. Biggest reason for me to switch was restaurants. We like to try different local restaurants on our way back from trips. Can't always find a nice restaurant where I can keep an eye on my truck.
Yea, It would be super helpful to have the topper when I am taking equipment to coach people at their house, I wouldn't have to unload and reload every day... or as you are talking about being more comfortable going into places without having to be in eyeshot of the truck.

once you have the originally fitting, do you think it would be easy enough to take off and put back on if needed?
Sponsored

CoachA

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Teacher
With 4 dogs, about 365 pounds of canine, a cap and a back seat DirtyDog hammock are necessities.

Jeep Gladiator Practical, Useful, or just Cool 86093B7E-3F30-4E85-8491-27F2EA07587C

aqcjeepGlad

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mojave
Cuts it down by tons! Very worthwhile investment. The company can even custom make ur own design. Mek Magnet
I'm glad to hear you like the Mek MAgnet body armour. I'm looking at that as a solution to pinstriping and have some questions since it is not an inexpensive product.
1. Have you had any problem with it staying on?
2. Do you remove it often?
3. Is it pretty fast and easy to put on and take off?
4. Does it seem like you'll get the 200+ uses out of the product or at least 100?
5. Does the product roll up for storage or must it be stored flat?
6. Any other comments good or bad?
Thanks for the help!
Tony

LordEnzo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
I'm glad to hear you like the Mek MAgnet body armour. I'm looking at that as a solution to pinstriping and have some questions since it is not an inexpensive product.
1. Have you had any problem with it staying on?
2. Do you remove it often?
3. Is it pretty fast and easy to put on and take off?
4. Does it seem like you'll get the 200+ uses out of the product or at least 100?
5. Does the product roll up for storage or must it be stored flat?
6. Any other comments good or bad?
Thanks for the help!
Tony
1. When I first put it on, I hit the highway right after for a 3 hr drive. It did start to peel, but I think that was because I used a ceramic spray before install, so my fault. Otherwise, it's been super sticky.
2. I don't. Since I put it on, only taken off 2x for cleaning. It's a PITA to clean, but doable as per their instructions. Just don't do on a windy day.
3. The front 2/3 of vehicle can be done solo fairly easy. Just don't remove it too fast, or you'll stretch the silicone and it will almost always leave a fold or bubbled area. The bed portion I would recommend a second set of hands. As stated, taking it off is more of a PITA. Just approach with patience.
4. Not sure what u mean by uses, but I've been through mud, muck, clay, sand and water, and have no issues. Been running it for about 2 or 2.5 yrs. No major issues with peeling.
5. Haven't attempted removal for storage, so unable to answer. But, it did come rolled up. Recommend laying out in sun and let the heat flatten it out for easier install.
6. Don't let dirt/mud stay on too long, or u will get some peeling over time. Mainly around sharper points and skinny areas. I have had to trim a couple of areas recently due to peel up (lack of maintenance on my part) and is easy to dow with a razor blade, just be very careful. The parts I've trimmed are already taken care of 8n their second version tho, which I'll get when I trade up.
It cleans real easy and can take the abuse of 1800-2000 psi electric pressure washer, just don't hold too close or hover too long on edges.
I've accumulated bubbles over time, again, thru fault of my own. I've gotten lazy, and with the pattern, u really don't notice unless ur up close. And all the compliment I get every weekend prove it. No one knows, otherwise they wouldn't ask where I got or how i like, lol.
Overall, it's been great for me. I can see all the scratches from scrubs. Even went thru a stupid tight trail I had no business in, going no more than 3-5 mph, hearing everything scrape top to bottom, for 15-20 min. No damage whatsoever. I love it, and I will definitely buy again on next rig. Heres some pics from this weekend 😱🫠💩...
Jeep Gladiator Practical, Useful, or just Cool FB_IMG_1681079745850
Jeep Gladiator Practical, Useful, or just Cool FB_IMG_1681079732669

aqcjeepGlad

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mojave
1. When I first put it on, I hit the highway right after for a 3 hr drive. It did start to peel, but I think that was because I used a ceramic spray before install, so my fault. Otherwise, it's been super sticky.
2. I don't. Since I put it on, only taken off 2x for cleaning. It's a PITA to clean, but doable as per their instructions. Just don't do on a windy day.
3. The front 2/3 of vehicle can be done solo fairly easy. Just don't remove it too fast, or you'll stretch the silicone and it will almost always leave a fold or bubbled area. The bed portion I would recommend a second set of hands. As stated, taking it off is more of a PITA. Just approach with patience.
4. Not sure what u mean by uses, but I've been through mud, muck, clay, sand and water, and have no issues. Been running it for about 2 or 2.5 yrs. No major issues with peeling.
5. Haven't attempted removal for storage, so unable to answer. But, it did come rolled up. Recommend laying out in sun and let the heat flatten it out for easier install.
6. Don't let dirt/mud stay on too long, or u will get some peeling over time. Mainly around sharper points and skinny areas. I have had to trim a couple of areas recently due to peel up (lack of maintenance on my part) and is easy to dow with a razor blade, just be very careful. The parts I've trimmed are already taken care of 8n their second version tho, which I'll get when I trade up.
It cleans real easy and can take the abuse of 1800-2000 psi electric pressure washer, just don't hold too close or hover too long on edges.
I've accumulated bubbles over time, again, thru fault of my own. I've gotten lazy, and with the pattern, u really don't notice unless ur up close. And all the compliment I get every weekend prove it. No one knows, otherwise they wouldn't ask where I got or how i like, lol.
Overall, it's been great for me. I can see all the scratches from scrubs. Even went thru a stupid tight trail I had no business in, going no more than 3-5 mph, hearing everything scrape top to bottom, for 15-20 min. No damage whatsoever. I love it, and I will definitely buy again on next rig. Heres some pics from this weekend 😱🫠💩...
WOW that was fast!!! On the uses I meant they claim it can be removed and used again 200+ times. But sounds like you don't use it like that. I intend to put it on for a day or two trail ride and then remove it for the next couple weeks, etc. Thus, the questions on number of uses and ease of install and removal.
Would you say it needs to have the sticky side cleaned each time it is removed? And is that the part you said was a pain in the arse? And lastly, you mentioned you can see all the scratches from scrubs, but no damage. You mean the material is scraped or scratched like the paint would be (if you had no protection) but the material itself is still in tack and not torn or damaged in any way? Just one more, it appears you have the solid black color, but you mentioned a pattern. Does the solid black have a pattern to it? Thanks again for all the help! Tony

Sponsored

Chaos Theory

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
So this is probably a question that will get me pawned, but... How much additional drag on gas mileage did the rack cause?

Disclaimer: I'm fully aware the Jeep is not aerodynamic to begin with and gets shitty gas mileage. But 1-2 MPG difference is huge when you're already at 15.

The added weight affects MPG in city driving due to weight (acceleration), the wind drag affects highway mileage. Did anyone with racks happen to notice the difference in MPG?

LordEnzo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
WOW that was fast!!! On the uses I meant they claim it can be removed and used again 200+ times. But sounds like you don't use it like that. I intend to put it on for a day or two trail ride and then remove it for the next couple weeks, etc. Thus, the questions on number of uses and ease of install and removal.
Would you say it needs to have the sticky side cleaned each time it is removed? And is that the part you said was a pain in the arse? And lastly, you mentioned you can see all the scratches from scrubs, but no damage. You mean the material is scraped or scratched like the paint would be (if you had no protection) but the material itself is still in tack and not torn or damaged in any way? Just one more, it appears you have the solid black color, but you mentioned a pattern. Does the solid black have a pattern to it? Thanks again for all the help! Tony
I actually have the kryptek typhoon pattern (kinda looks like snakeskin). And yes, the protection looks scratched, but not damaged. Can still make out the pattern and still looks good.
As for constant removal, I would recommend rinsing the silicone backing before storage. And yea, that's part of the PITA. That's one reason I leave mine on. The other is just for constant paint protection. I ride once a month, but sometimes more. I've also been getting into overlanding, hence the tent setup.
That silicone backing is very strong. Won't peel the paint, but it holds on good. Just be easy and patient when removing.
Here's a cleaner shot of the pattern.
Jeep Gladiator Practical, Useful, or just Cool 20221126_123623

LordEnzo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So this is probably a question that will get me pawned, but... How much additional drag on gas mileage did the rack cause?

Disclaimer: I'm fully aware the Jeep is not aerodynamic to begin with and gets shitty gas mileage. But 1-2 MPG difference is huge when you're already at 15.

The added weight affects MPG in city driving due to weight (acceleration), the wind drag affects highway mileage. Did anyone with racks happen to notice the difference in MPG?
Yes. As I sat in the pics I posted, 3.5 lift, 37s, and rack (150 lb) with rtt (125 lb) without gear I get 14-16 mpg hwy. With gear (loaded rear) 13-14 mpg hwy. Somehow tho I scored 17 mpg once on a trip back from west GA. Haven't been able to duplicate again. That's roughly 75 mph in FL. My basket broke this past weekend playing too hard, so I'm redoing with a lighter rack and possibly a tonneau. Still debating tonneau.

aqcjeepGlad

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mojave
I actually have the kryptek typhoon pattern (kinda looks like snakeskin). And yes, the protection looks scratched, but not damaged. Can still make out the pattern and still looks good.
As for constant removal, I would recommend rinsing the silicone backing before storage. And yea, that's part of the PITA. That's one reason I leave mine on. The other is just for constant paint protection. I ride once a month, but sometimes more. I've also been getting into overlanding, hence the tent setup.
That silicone backing is very strong. Won't peel the paint, but it holds on good. Just be easy and patient when removing.
Here's a cleaner shot of the pattern.
Jeep Gladiator Practical, Useful, or just Cool 20221126_123623
Thanks for all the answers, I think I'm going to pull the trigger on this protection.

tysongladiator

First Name
Tyson
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator, Jeep Wrangler
Occupation
Learner
Vehicle Showcase
I built a full height rack, then built and went to a mid height rack, and now I use a trailer I built with the RTT. If I had to have a rack, I much prefer a mid height. But now after having the RTT on a trailer, it's much better. My RTT is almost 3yrs old and it gets used a lot so after awhile I got tired of packing up everything when I had to move for some reason. All are and have been very useful for me.

And I got my bed back which I like! And now I have an overhead rack that I use just as much as my RTT. Carry canoes/kayaks, lumber, steel beams, etc. My jeep gets a workout.

Jeep Gladiator Practical, Useful, or just Cool 2023_04_12_15_07_40_543

20230114 Tyson Jeep at Wolf Caves - Mason, TXb.JPG
Sponsored

Last edited: