Sponsored

Progress of building and delivering the Eco-Diesel

biodiesel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
Yes and like I said I have done the math and 1400lbs is quite a bit more than I plan on loading in there. Your comment about steering does not come into play when a weight distributing hitch is properly set up. I am not trying to get into an argument here and like I said you are entitled to your opinion.
No argument here. I'm just letting you know (for safety reasons), that your trailer is too big for the Gladiator. You keep talking about weight, but weight is only 1/2 of your problem. The high profile trailer (long and tall side walls) will catch more wind than what your truck can safely handle. For reference, look at my truck/trailer setup. My trailer is only 23' feet long. Your trailer will be nearly 10' feet longer on a much smaller chassis! I have a 10K weight distribution hitch, and I can feel the tugging in a high crosswind scenario.

If you attempt towing something that massive behind your Gladiator, you will need air bags for sure. We'll see what the towing/payload specs are on the Gladiator Diesel before I comment any further regarding those issues.

K51kYgy.jpg
Sponsored

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Kodiak Ultra Lite 283BHSL. 5603 dry so we will see what the actual numbers come in at. I don't have high regards for TFL and their statements so I have been keeping an eye on the FCA Gladiator press release feed.

Right now pretty much all you can do is put a deposit in on a trailer that is on order and then decide when it comes in if you want it. Dealers can't keep stock on hand. By my calculations I should be OK with the right balance but I will probably put my JTR pretty close to the legal limits depending on what the GCWR will be. I will still be well below the axle ratings.

I really would prefer not to have a dedicated tow vehicle just for some weekend camping and being on the east coast I don't have many mountain passes to contend with. What amuses me about these published 'tow ratings' is you will more than likely hit the GVWR of the truck well before you hit that 'tow rating' if you have anything beyond a driver in the truck. What I want to know is what the GCWR and the curb weight of a JTR ecodiesel is because all my numbers so far are just guesses based on other models.
By loaded you refer to full tanks? I have no intentions on boon docking or long term with this rig. We travel light. I also don't drive fast when towing which makes a huge difference with sway. I also don't tow anything larger than 3k without WDH and sway control. It should be around 6300 max with 650-700 of that on the tongue by my estimates, well within the range of ratings for the chassis/axles. I really don't know why there is so much pushback on anyone wanting to tow more than 5-6K with a Gladiator if it is set up and balanced properly but hey we are all entitled to our opinions and decisions on what we are comfortable with towing. Plenty of people saying it tows larger rigs just fine (even with that underpowered V6).

Ratings are ratings for a reason. I have no intention on exceeding the ratings and that is why I am interested in the GCWR and the curb weight once they are published.
You're right. GVWR and specifically payload will be overloaded well before you get to the max towing rating. That's the biggest issue with 1/2 ton trucks regardless of mid or full size.

A Gladiator Rubicon EcoDiesel will have one of the lowest stamped payload ratings you can get. Only the miserable Overland model with the diesel will be worse. You're probably going to end up in the 1,000 to 1,200 lb. payload range with your order. I assume you're not going camping alone, so by the time you put two adults in the truck you'll have probably 600 to 800 lbs. left. That will give you barely enough to handle the camper, with zero left for any gear or things to bring along.

In addition to that, you'll have a 55 sq/ft maximum frontal area that will likely be exceeded and that reduces towing even further.

I'm one of the guys who has towed near the maximum of the JT's specs and while it did the job pretty well there are times when it's disconcerting, especially in foul weather or a stiff breeze. I ended up moving up to a full size but realistically I should have gone 3/4 ton with the Cummins for the added safety margin.

relapsekg

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon; 2012 VW GTI ; 1999 S10 ZR2
Occupation
IT
Kodiak Ultra Lite 283BHSL. 5603 dry so we will see what the actual numbers come in at. I don't have high regards for TFL and their statements so I have been keeping an eye on the FCA Gladiator press release feed.

Right now pretty much all you can do is put a deposit in on a trailer that is on order and then decide when it comes in if you want it. Dealers can't keep stock on hand. By my calculations I should be OK with the right balance but I will probably put my JTR pretty close to the legal limits depending on what the GCWR will be. I will still be well below the axle ratings.

I really would prefer not to have a dedicated tow vehicle just for some weekend camping and being on the east coast I don't have many mountain passes to contend with. What amuses me about these published 'tow ratings' is you will more than likely hit the GVWR of the truck well before you hit that 'tow rating' if you have anything beyond a driver in the truck. What I want to know is what the GCWR and the curb weight of a JTR ecodiesel is because all my numbers so far are just guesses based on other models.
Hitch weight on this unit is listed as 764lbs.. That is a no go.
These weights are usually underreported.

I am running into this same issue looking at trailers, My Rubicon has a max tongue weight of 700lbs. And I dont intend on running it that high.

Daniel Snider

First Name
daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1969 Mach-1, 2021 Gladiator Diesel
Occupation
Sales, and generally being awesone
I just ordered a rubi diesel and this is mine I will be pulling..... toy hauler and camper all in one nice off road pkg. weighs nothing....

0A1E46F6-45ED-40D8-BBAB-95A627D217F4.jpeg

5E3A0D93-2D8B-4F97-ACEF-C1C6BB473B5B.jpeg

A8539389-08A4-4936-91E1-B14A2F762331.jpeg

3CB553ED-86C6-495B-BFA5-C681ABBECD05.jpeg

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
I just ordered a rubi diesel and this is mine I will be pulling..... toy hauler and camper all in one nice off road pkg. weighs nothing....

Jeep Gladiator Progress of building and delivering the Eco-Diesel 3CB553ED-86C6-495B-BFA5-C681ABBECD05

Jeep Gladiator Progress of building and delivering the Eco-Diesel 3CB553ED-86C6-495B-BFA5-C681ABBECD05

Yeah that's exactly what I use, except mine doesn't have offroad tires on it (yet). Dry weight is 2,200 lbs. I haul my UTV in it, and when we get to the campground I unload the UTV and set up the matresses inside to sleep on.

It's not high profile camping like some prefer, but it gets the job done very nicely and maintains a primitive camping feel while giving solid protection from weather and animals.

Sponsored

Daniel Snider

First Name
daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Yeah that's exactly what I use, except mine doesn't have offroad tires on it (yet). Dry weight is 2,200 lbs. I haul my UTV in it, and when we get to the campground I unload the UTV and set up the matresses inside to sleep on.

It's not high profile camping like some prefer, but it gets the job done very nicely and maintains a primitive camping feel while giving solid protection from weather and animals.
Nice, this one came like this and I believe it weighs about 3500#....

Daniel Snider

First Name
daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
What size is your trailer 7'x14'x7.5'?
it is 7x18x7..... it came in at 5750 lbs loaded with my rzr 900 trail and my can am 2 up atv….. and all our gear.

biodiesel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
One week later: still D and ship date of 9/1. At least it hasn't slipped any more.
I'm betting it will get built quickly, but shipping will be the issue.

Sponsored

enjin

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator JTRD
Occupation
IT stuff
I just got a regression saying they no longer had parts and are waiting on scheduling.

OP
OP
WMWHV

WMWHV

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon EcoDiesel, 1947 Willys CJ2A
Build Thread
Link
My ship date has slipped two weeks from August 29 to September 12. Still in D1 status.

riggsdr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTRD
9/15 here, but back to D1. Probably hold off on buying tickets to the Jeep Jamboree in KY in October...

TripleB

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Why is the diesel not on the Jeep website in the build & price?
Sponsored