First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JRT, '08 WK
Occupation
Software Engineer
I have the warfab and it has been through hell. Worth every penny.
Sponsored

JTGuy

First Name
Pascual
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20022 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Manager
Jeep Gladiator Protecting Your Rear -  Sheridan hitch mounted skid from Warfab IMG_7296

Made this with a help from my buddy. Protects everything well. Cost almost nothing.

Volt0

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTM,JTHA
Shouldnā€™t the Mojave be able to ā€¦. Jump over obstacles? No sliders needed, only a LZ.

WILDHOBO

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Jeep Gladiator Protecting Your Rear -  Sheridan hitch mounted skid from Warfab IMG_7296

Made this with a help from my buddy. Protects everything well. Cost almost nothing.
I love that Iā€™m not the only one who bought the Jeep midlands. ;)

Zachanadandy

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Electrical foreman
These things are so damn big I think they give a false sense of their effectiveness as they will drag on a ton of obstacles you wouldn't have even touched otherwise. The hitch itself hands a good 3" below the bumper and is very effective at protecting the bumper on flat ledges. Angles ledges or off camber ledges no hitch slider will help. I could see running one like this https://a.co/d/5c7bkZs as it's much lower profile and gives you a recovery point you don't have to swap hitches for. It will protect the hitch every bit as effectively while also being able to slide over obstacles better and costing you about half as much ground clearance. On the JL we run a big steel pintle ring. Sticks out far enough to protect the spare when dropping off a ledges and costs 0 ground clearance. Of course the departure angle is so good in that rig that dragging the hitch isn't much of a concern.

Sponsored

WILDHOBO

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
These things are so damn big I think they give a false sense of their effectiveness as they will drag on a ton of obstacles you wouldn't have even touched otherwise. The hitch itself hands a good 3" below the bumper and is very effective at protecting the bumper on flat ledges. Angles ledges or off camber ledges no hitch slider will help. I could see running one like this https://a.co/d/5c7bkZs as it's much lower profile and gives you a recovery point you don't have to swap hitches for. It will protect the hitch every bit as effectively while also being able to slide over obstacles better and costing you about half as much ground clearance. On the JL we run a big steel pintle ring. Sticks out far enough to protect the spare when dropping off a ledges and costs 0 ground clearance. Of course the departure angle is so good in that rig that dragging the hitch isn't much of a concern.
Weā€™re wheeling trucks with 5ā€™ beds. Itā€™s going to drag sometimes unless the bed is bobbed. For those of us that want to keep our bed intact, and do serious rock crawling, hitch skids are imperative. The slightly wider ones than the example you gave actually protect the bumper a fair bit. They hit before the bumper and change the angle for the positive. Iā€™m absolutely against the little ones as they donā€™t protect the chain rings whatsoever. I use my receiver for towing, and would like it to survive. I agree with having a recovery point though. Mine does.

IMG_7720.jpeg

Silverator

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JT Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Music
Yup. Zero doubt that the Warfab stabilizes L to R and vice versa tipping and swing which will negatively impact your rear bumper. Sure, it hits first. That's the whole idea of it.

Zachanadandy

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Electrical foreman
Weā€™re wheeling trucks with 5ā€™ beds. Itā€™s going to drag sometimes unless the bed is bobbed. For those of us that want to keep our bed intact, and do serious rock crawling, hitch skids are imperative. The slightly wider ones than the example you gave actually protect the bumper a fair bit. They hit before the bumper and change the angle for the positive. Iā€™m absolutely against the little ones as they donā€™t protect the chain rings whatsoever. I use my receiver for towing, and would like it to survive. I agree with having a recovery point though. Mine does.

IMG_7720.jpeg
The one I posted will absolutely protect the bumper as the hitch itself will do that. On the off chance you're coming over a narrow rock that would miss the narrow slider but hit the wider one you have a little more protection I guess but the odds of that same rock missing both types seems about 30 times more likely. The narrow one doesn't directly protect the chain loops but does hang much lower than them and would therefore save them from most rocks. I guess if you want to take a bad departure angle and make it terrible under the illusion of extra protection, you do you. As far as serious rock crawling I'll just take the JLUR for that as it is much better equipped than the mojave out of the box. The added lift and 39s make it like comparing a school bus to a stock Jeep at this point.

WILDHOBO

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
The one I posted will absolutely protect the bumper as the hitch itself will do that. On the off chance you're coming over a narrow rock that would miss the narrow slider but hit the wider one you have a little more protection I guess but the odds of that same rock missing both types seems about 30 times more likely. The narrow one doesn't directly protect the chain loops but does hang much lower than them and would therefore save them from most rocks. I guess if you want to take a bad departure angle and make it terrible under the illusion of extra protection, you do you. As far as serious rock crawling I'll just take the JLUR for that as it is much better equipped than the mojave out of the box. The added lift and 39s make it like comparing a school bus to a stock Jeep at this point.
My departure angle is actually quite good. Mostly because I havenā€™t tried to remove the rake, but have embraced it. And not to be combative, but Iā€™ve been on plenty of obstacles that would rip the chain rings up if only the 2ā€ square tube were protected. Itā€™s much more likely for a 2ā€ wide skid to become a pivot point between it and one side of the bumper. A roughly 10ā€ wide skid (I didnā€™t measure) is enough steel to become the plane of the contact. And my skid isnā€™t any lower down than the one you used as an example. It doesnā€™t decrease the departure angle any more than the narrow hitch skids. Itā€™s just wide enough to do itā€™s job better.

Jaxmax

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps....... 2021 Mojave , 2019 Wrangler
Occupation
Electrical Manager
Iā€™m in the protect the hitch , chain rings, and wider protection of bumper club.
I donā€™t wheel much but have it on all the time, itā€™s a WarFab Sheridan modified to be only 1/4ā€ under the chain rings. Not being lifted much and not planning on going more then 34ā€ tires when OEM wear out, I am going the route of skids and protection underneath , have everything but the belly skid now. One thought that was shared with me after modifying mine is yes it is higher by an inch or so but that is the idea, the sooner the hitch skid drags the farther away from the rock is your bumper. Yes that is an eight foot Elm tree sticking out the back, I need the long wheelbase for towing and haulingā€¦.Jack
IMG_2139.jpeg

WILDHOBO

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Iā€™m in the protect the hitch , chain rings, and wider protection of bumper club.
I donā€™t wheel much but have it on all the time, itā€™s a WarFab Sheridan modified to be only 1/4ā€ under the chain rings. Not being lifted much and not planning on going more then 34ā€ tires when OEM wear out, I am going the route of skids and protection underneath , have everything but the belly skid now. One thought that was shared with me after modifying mine is yes it is higher by an inch or so but that is the idea, the sooner the hitch skid drags the farther away from the rock is your bumper. Yes that is an eight foot Elm tree sticking out the back, I need the long wheelbase for towing and haulingā€¦.Jack
Jeep Gladiator Protecting Your Rear -  Sheridan hitch mounted skid from Warfab IMG_2139
I followed that thread after you modded your hitch skid. I like it, and agree on all counts.
Sponsored