Sponsored

Proximity door locks retrofit on Wrangler/Gladiator, someone figured it out (DIY writeup)

Jchaney

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep gladiator sport s
Guys, FYI here

There has been confirmed reports of bad handle caps which have caused issues. If one side works but not the other we recommend swapping them first to verify. Based on customer feedback the magnets were installed in reverse, So far it seems to be a somewhat small batch.

Thanks,
- Benny
It doesn’t work on either side
Sponsored

AllMoparParts.com

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Benny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT's!
I’m sorry I made a mistake it was https://www.mopargenuineparts.com/
Since these are mopar parts they are covered by the Mopar national warranty at any dealership. You can either visit your local dealership or reach out to customer service and tell them you have bad caps.

Please let me know if you have any questions.
Thanks,
-Benny

Sponsored

HuBCaP

First Name
Hubert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland
Long time lurker but wanted to thank you guys, my Overland now has proximity entry.

Unfortunately I was one of the unlucky ones that received both bad caps. Instead of waiting for the return and exchange, I opened the caps and reversed the magnets polarity.
Jeep Gladiator Proximity door locks retrofit on Wrangler/Gladiator, someone figured it out (DIY writeup) 20210508_190519
Jeep Gladiator Proximity door locks retrofit on Wrangler/Gladiator, someone figured it out (DIY writeup) 20210508_190530

Snipped of the tabs to take out the magnet.
Jeep Gladiator Proximity door locks retrofit on Wrangler/Gladiator, someone figured it out (DIY writeup) 20210508_190732

Made sure the polarity was correct.
Jeep Gladiator Proximity door locks retrofit on Wrangler/Gladiator, someone figured it out (DIY writeup) 20210508_185243

Opened my old Caps and used those to melt the tabs with my solder iron.
Jeep Gladiator Proximity door locks retrofit on Wrangler/Gladiator, someone figured it out (DIY writeup) 20210508_190928
Jeep Gladiator Proximity door locks retrofit on Wrangler/Gladiator, someone figured it out (DIY writeup) 20210508_191002

Replace and enjoy!
Jeep Gladiator Proximity door locks retrofit on Wrangler/Gladiator, someone figured it out (DIY writeup) 20210508_190252

Hope this helps!

Punknhead

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
The dealership charged me $130 to flash the sales code—and I am very happy. Love leaving my key in my pocket! Question though—should I be able to unlock all doors/tailgate from my driver side handle? I just pull to unlock the driver door—and push the button to lock everything. Wondering if I am doing something wrong trying to unlock all of the doors?

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
The dealership charged me $130 to flash the sales code—and I am very happy. Love leaving my key in my pocket! Question though—should I be able to unlock all doors/tailgate from my driver side handle? I just pull to unlock the driver door—and push the button to lock everything. Wondering if I am doing something wrong trying to unlock all of the doors?
Yes, go into settings, change the choice to "all locks" - it uses the same setting as the fob unlock function. If you set it to driver door only, then the proximity/passive entry will do driver door only. If you set all, both will do all - including the tail gate.
Go back into the door lock settings - wish I had my pic handy but you'll know it when you see it. IT's one of those "I'll know what it looks like when I get there" things.

My dealer did it for free. I told them I fully expected at least their minimum $50 charge. But the gal heard me say "the sales guy (at a DIFFERENT dealership) missed it when we told him twice we wanted it" and I suspect it was a "we'll make up for their screw-up" sort of a thing - "see, we're better than they are" LOL

Punknhead

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes, go into settings, change the choice to "all locks" - it uses the same setting as the fob unlock function. If you set it to driver door only, then the proximity/passive entry will do driver door only. If you set all, both will do all - including the tail gate.
Go back into the door lock settings - wish I had my pic handy but you'll know it when you see it. IT's one of those "I'll know what it looks like when I get there" things.

My dealer did it for free. I told them I fully expected at least their minimum $50 charge. But the gal heard me say "the sales guy (at a DIFFERENT dealership) missed it when we told him twice we wanted it" and I suspect it was a "we'll make up for their screw-up" sort of a thing - "see, we're better than they are" LOL
Thank you! I will give that a try.

Jchaney

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep gladiator sport s
Long time lurker but wanted to thank you guys, my Overland now has proximity entry.

Unfortunately I was one of the unlucky ones that received both bad caps. Instead of waiting for the return and exchange, I opened the caps and reversed the magnets polarity.
Jeep Gladiator Proximity door locks retrofit on Wrangler/Gladiator, someone figured it out (DIY writeup) 20210508_190252

Snipped of the tabs to take out the magnet.

Made sure the polarity was correct.

Opened my old Caps and used those to melt the tabs with my solder iron.

Replace and enjoy!

Hope this helps!
Thank you for your help that was my problem

Sponsored

Punknhead

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

It worked! Exactly what I needed. Thanks!

garzilla

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Software Engineer
Just checking before I order a kit. I have a 2021 sport s. This is the driver body side plug. The needed pins are the ones I put dots by, correct?

Side note... pulling on this too hard won't pop the plug from the body... it breaks the clip on the back of the plug. Time for some velcro. Two days old and I already broke something 😆🤣😂
Jeep Gladiator Proximity door locks retrofit on Wrangler/Gladiator, someone figured it out (DIY writeup) 20210513_145610