Sponsored

Proximity door locks retrofit on Wrangler/Gladiator, someone figured it out (DIY writeup)

Kewlrobd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator
Actually easier then pulling the door card come to think of it. Just look at the door side of the body harness, do you have the wires coming out of it that correspond with pins 15\16 on the body side? If they're in the door, that's where they'd start.
Good point, gonna look this weekend.
Sponsored

Erievon

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JTR., 2021 JLU Altitude
Occupation
International Banker
Here's the door harness that I took out of my wife's jl last weekend. The wires would go in the gap I circled, as you can see, hers were not there, but thankfully the pins were present on the dash/body side.

20210618_211451.jpg

Kewlrobd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator
Likely referring to the dash harness. There was talk that some Jeeps didn't have the dash harness, some did. That's why there's posts in this thread about which pins to look for on the body harness going through the dash.

I've never seen talk of the door harness having that small connector for the handle and the extra wires leading to it.

Would like to see links where it's said that the Gladiator doors came with the extra wires.
Not in this thread and I don't think it was a gladiator but I definitely read one post where the connector was already in the door. It was folded back and zip tied to the harness.

Either way I'm realizing this is a rare occurrence.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Here's the door harness that I took out of my wife's jl last weekend. The wires would go in the gap I circled, as you can see, hers were not there, but thankfully the pins were present on the dash/body side.

Jeep Gladiator Proximity door locks retrofit on Wrangler/Gladiator, someone figured it out (DIY writeup) 20210618_211451
That's one of the most clear VERY close-up pic I've seen. Wow, good job.

Erievon

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
International Banker
I saw that in the JL forum too, it was one or two random Rubicons. Easy enough to check with what I've given you here. Hey, never know!

Sponsored

TJO

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jk
Can anyone confirm if you have to replace the harness if you have a Rubicom or just replace the door handles? I thought the video mentioned Rubicons already came with the correct harness but somebody posted that Rubicon also needs harness replaced on here as well so I am a bit confused.

Erievon

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
International Banker
Rubicons have the pins in the body side harness. We've seen one or two rubis have the correct harness in the door but it seems to be a fluke, not normal/expected. Check the door side plug like I showed above, or pull the door card and look, but I would plan on replacing the door harness.

TJO

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jk
Rubicons have the pins in the body side harness. We've seen one or two rubis have the correct harness in the door but it seems to be a fluke, not normal/expected. Check the door side plug like I showed above, or pull the door card and look, but I would plan on replacing the door harness.
Ok, thanks for quick reply.

garzilla

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Software Engineer
Installed mine in Sunday in a 2021 sport s. Routing the wire to the handle was a little tricky.

My install partner is pretty cool 😎. His arms fit better too 😆
Jeep Gladiator Proximity door locks retrofit on Wrangler/Gladiator, someone figured it out (DIY writeup) 20210620_165839

Sponsored

Moonshineheadache

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Great White Edition Rubicon
Occupation
Gas Pump Jockey - I hate cans!
Vehicle Showcase
When I bought my JT, this was the only feature missing and was almost a deal breaker until my Mom of all people told I was being dumb. I guess I had been spoiled by previous vehicles.

A big shout out to everyone contributing to this forum!

As of yesterday with some help from AZ Wholesale Mopar for a screaming deal on parts:
(https://www.azwholesalemopar.com)

...AND ChadMyers73
Jeep Gladiator Proximity Doors Lock Install
()

Life is too short to spend it digging in my pocket! :rock:

Thanks a BUNCH!!

Kevin_D

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S, 1971 J4000, a bunch of other stuff

Erievon

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
International Banker
Side note, Anyone know the part number for the little sticker in the door jam? Messing with the bad caps on and off so many times the little black dots don't want to stick anymore. It seems heavier then a paper dot from the office supply store.

Moonshineheadache

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Great White Edition Rubicon
Occupation
Gas Pump Jockey - I hate cans!
Vehicle Showcase
Side note, Anyone know the part number for the little sticker in the door jam? Messing with the bad caps on and off so many times the little black dots don't want to stick anymore. It seems heavier then a paper dot from the office supply store.
I think it's just fancy cut electrical tape circles.