Sponsored

Proximity door locks retrofit on Wrangler/Gladiator, someone figured it out (DIY writeup)

ImThe0ne

First Name
Blake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
This really should be standard, or at least an add-on option. As with others, the passenger side harness is on backorder right now, which just makes me sad.
For what its worth, I think it is now officially an add-on option for all the trims with power locks, it just wasn't originally lol
Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Got the drivers side installed the other day and activated with Taser, works great. This really should be standard, or at least an add-on option. As with others, the passenger side harness is on backorder right now, which just makes me sad.

Inside lock/unlock switches aren't working on the drivers door, but I think (I hope) I just forgot to re-connect the new harness to the door panel itself. No big deal at this point. When I have some time and some decent weather, I'll pull it off and confirm.
It's always been an option on certain trims like Overland, and I believe it could even be bought as an option with Rubicon.

It's standard on Grand Cherokee. But these are trucks and geared more for truck use, and off-road, etc. so I doubt you'll ever see it standard on the Gladiator across the board.

If you have lock switches not working - check the harness connection at the kick panel. There's where almost all connection issues happen, pins get misaligned, even bent, when the door harness is plugged back in by the kick panel.

ecidiego

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
IT
They are standard on 2022 Rubicon, Mojave, and probably some other trims now. Was an option not present on my 2021 Mojave but could be ordered/found. Anything with the 8.4 Standard like Rubicon and Mojave also gets Proximity Locks I think standard.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
For what its worth, I think it is now officially an add-on option for all the trims with power locks, it just wasn't originally lol
It was always an option on Overland, possibly was an option with Rubicon, I can't recall that far back.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
They are standard on 2022 Rubicon, Mojave, and probably some other trims now.
Is it STANDARD, or an option? It was always an option on Overland, probably standard on High Altitude. I can see it being made standard on some trims, but likely won't be across the board - but then a lot of things are now standard that were an option 5 years ago, so...............

Sponsored

ecidiego

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
IT
Is it STANDARD, or an option? It was always an option on Overland, probably standard on High Altitude. I can see it being made standard on some trims, but likely won't be across the board - but then a lot of things are now standard that were an option 5 years ago, so...............
Standard.

Here is a nearly unoptioned 2022 Mojave:
Jeep Gladiator Proximity door locks retrofit on Wrangler/Gladiator, someone figured it out (DIY writeup) Untitled

ecidiego

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
IT
The 8.4 and Proximity Locks going Standard for Mojave and Rubicon in 2022 got a lot of people thinking they massively raised the price. They didn't. They just made $2500 worth of previous options mandatory on those trims. Those 2 I am positive. Could be others.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
The 8.4 and Proximity Locks going Standard for Mojave and Rubicon in 2022 got a lot of people thinking they massively raised the price. They didn't. They just made $2500 worth of previous options mandatory on those trims. Those 2 I am positive. Could be others.
Cool, and that makes sense being the upper end models.
It's standard on Grand Cherokee and likely the newer additions to the Jeep fleet/family.

And if you think about it - the only real differences equipment-wise were the couple of wires to each door's handles, and the handles (and knobs) - the other stuff was already there, in place.

ecidiego

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
IT
Cool, and that makes sense being the upper end models.
It's standard on Grand Cherokee and likely the newer additions to the Jeep fleet/family.

And if you think about it - the only real differences equipment-wise were the couple of wires to each door's handles, and the handles (and knobs) - the other stuff was already there, in place.
Yeah isn't that crazy? Antennas already in the pillars ready to go.

It would have been nice if they included all of the Front Trailcam infrastructure too. Embarking on that journey as soon as parts show up. For that they include NOTHING. You even have to swap out your backup camera with a different one.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah isn't that crazy? Antennas already in the pillars ready to go.

It would have been nice if they included all of the Front Trailcam infrastructure too. Embarking on that journey as soon as parts show up. For that they include NOTHING. You even have to swap out your backup camera with a different one.
It was my understanding the antenna were in place to detect the location of the key fob - like is it in the cab before you lock the doors, or is it in the cab or outside and the engine is running, that sort of thing. So they needed to detect the fob location and proximity anyway.

The camera, I can see - more expensive, more complex and useful only for some, not majority.

Sponsored

Toten Unterhosen

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Holy F%$&K. I consider myself fairly handy and have all the proper tools but this was a classic case of “YouTube vs Reality.” I read this entire thread, watched all the videos, had all the tools, and still found this to be a complete PITA just to do the driver side and managed to bust a bit off the interior panel near the bottom T20 screws as well as a locking tab from the interior panel trying to release the tabs on the lock bracket so I could get to the lock connector. Do y’all just have skinny arms and fingers of steel? And I’ve yet to attempt programming. *sigh*

Ugh. Buttoned up the inner panel, and even though I followed all the instructions to ensure cables were in the proper channels/holders/clips, the window hangs up in the rear. Time to try and take the inner apart without breaking anything else. And it seems while I was behind the white track, I wasn’t behind ALL the white track the entire length of the run.

Good grief. If I ever see the inside of a JT door again it will be too soon. Oi!

Last edited:

abe57

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave
Occupation
retired
Vehicle Showcase
Holy F%$&K. I consider myself fairly handy and have all the proper tools but this was a classic case of “YouTube vs Reality.” I read this entire thread, watched all the videos, had all the tools, and still found this to be a complete PITA just to do the driver side and managed to bust a bit off the interior panel near the bottom T20 screws as well as a locking tab from the interior panel trying to release the tabs on the lock bracket so I could get to the lock connector. Do y’all just have skinny arms and fingers of steel? And I’ve yet to attempt programming. *sigh*

Ugh. Buttoned up the inner panel, and even though I followed all the instructions to ensure cables were in the proper channels/holders/clips, the window hangs up in the rear. Time to try and take the inner apart without breaking anything else. And it seems while I was behind the white track, I wasn’t behind ALL the white track the entire length of the run.

Good grief. If I ever see the inside of a JT door again it will be too soon. Oi!
I found it a very easy to do once I got myself to do it. Go slow take your time . I found that when you placed the new wiring up to the door it was easy to follow the holes and the clip placement " A photo of the original location would help some here " But I did break a door panel clip on the right side I heard it fall when placing the panel back on but its tight and I am not worried about it . Other than that very easy install . I would give it a # 2 out of 10 difficulty level .

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Wow, I had the opposite experience - it was almost easier than people were saying. I had no problems other than being the paranoid person I am, I was extremely careful with the bolts and worked things back and forth a bit and didn't put as much pressure on them as I could have taking things apart. Otherwise, it went extremely well, I did it in temperatures in the upper 30s to lower 40s as I recall, my not-well-lit dark and dirty garage using only a space heater to warm my fingers now and then.
What amazed me is that it was almost easier than working in the doors of older vehicles in some ways, but the window regulator design IMO seems overly complex compared to 40 years ago. I supposed to save weight and make factory assembly easier they have to make some of it more complex than otherwise necessary. But the harness itself was a snap, the door handle was easier than some implied. And I have fingers damaged from past injuries, arthritis and working in the cold, Reynaud's came into play.
If someone around my area wanted it added, it's something I would actually do for others - but next time I'd move a car out of my shop and do it where the lighting is good.

I would give it a # 2 out of 10 difficulty level .
Compared to other doors I've worked on and in - a 1 out of 10.

I've converted 2 cars with doors like this to power windows and power locks and added speakers. It involves the 3cable remote mirror system (3 mechanical cables from the control to the mirror in each door), replacing door latches, installing lock motors, replacing window regulators installing switches and massive wire harnesses from each door across the back side of the dash and more.
The glass must be completely removed, the door gutted.
Naw, the Jeep was a 1 out of 10.

Jeep Gladiator Proximity door locks retrofit on Wrangler/Gladiator, someone figured it out (DIY writeup) sx4-repaint_router-table-misc-3-16-2013 032

abe57

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave
Occupation
retired
Vehicle Showcase
Compared to other doors I've worked on and in - a 1 out of 10.

I've converted 2 cars with doors like this to power windows and power locks and added speakers. It involves the 3cable remote mirror system (3 mechanical cables from the control to the mirror in each door), replacing door latches, installing lock motors, replacing window regulators installing switches and massive wire harnesses from each door across the back side of the dash and more.
The glass must be completely removed, the door gutted.
Naw, the Jeep was a 1 out of 10.

Jeep Gladiator Proximity door locks retrofit on Wrangler/Gladiator, someone figured it out (DIY writeup) sx4-repaint_router-table-misc-3-16-2013 032
I gave that rating for most out there with none or mostly no skills in this range of work... for me it was a 1 out of 10 ....

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I gave that rating for most out there with none or mostly no skills in this range of work... for me it was a 1 out of 10 ....
Gotcha, makes sense.
The best tool in the box for this sort of work for someone with any skill level at all is patience - you pretty much said that already, though. Start early, don't set a deadline, if you need a break, take a break, get plenty of light on the subject.
For the most part, this is a remove part A and replace with part B sort of thing.
If they pay attention, even get that phone out and TAKE PICTURES!!, it may help. I've seen even seasoned, experienced techs get the phone out and take pics. When the pros do it, then there's no reason for a novice to be shy about using that trick.
Sponsored