Sponsored

Proximity door locks retrofit on Wrangler/Gladiator, someone figured it out (DIY writeup)

blau iii

First Name
nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 335i, 2014 X5, 2021 JTR
Build Thread
Link
has anyone run into an issues after installing this? It worked for me for a few weeks. Now, the prox entry is non functional. It's still turned on via tazer menus. I checked the fuses and all were good. I have no idea what could be wrong. All the other door functions work correctly.

What should I look at next too troubleshoot?
Sponsored

Toten Unterhosen

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Well, it sure seemed like it was going to be easy-peasy after all the prep I'd done. But I should know better by now. Any time I undertake a vehicle project it seldom goes as I envisioned. :)

I did take my time and pause on occasion then dealing with a part that wasn't going "to plan." However, I guess I should have paused longer at some points. Ha!

Upon reflection, I feel I could have made a good portion of this process go easier had I taken the time to really examine all the parts in the door via exploded diagrams and descriptions to fully understand what all I was dealing with and how it all interoperated and connected. Doing that this morning helped me better appreciate some of the steps and overall system operation.

The step that caused the most consternation, and resulted in a broken tab/clip, was where the Carrier Plate Panel connects to the Latch Presenter. This set of tabs/clips would not release for anything and without it released, there was little room to get an arm into the door panel itself. Once that was free (in my case by releasing the lower one and sadly breaking the upper trying to get it to release) the Carrier Plate Panel was free to move about and access to the door interior was no problem.

Update: In continuing my post mortem from my experience yesterday, I realized I was so focused on the video walk-throughs folks had done, I completely forgot the PDFs contained in the link to the JL Wrangler forum post in the very first post of this thread. Two are techConnect exports and extremely helpful and address my trouble spot.
  • Door-Trim-Panel-Removal.pdf
  • Inner-Door-Plate-Removal.pdf

Jeep Gladiator Proximity door locks retrofit on Wrangler/Gladiator, someone figured it out (DIY writeup) fbf62fd4f5f5c902ad2ed3e7e4d02ac3.JPG

In any case, it is done, I learned a fair bit, and am hoping programming today is smooth sailing. ;)

And, of course, thanks to all on the forum who have gone before and posted all the great info as without them, I wouldn't have even had this option! :beer:

Last edited:

redman43

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT Sport S MaxTow White
Got the drivers side installed the other day and activated with Taser, works great. This really should be standard, or at least an add-on option. As with others, the passenger side harness is on backorder right now, which just makes me sad.

Inside lock/unlock switches aren't working on the drivers door, but I think (I hope) I just forgot to re-connect the new harness to the door panel itself. No big deal at this point. When I have some time and some decent weather, I'll pull it off and confirm.
Yep, just failed to connect the harness. All good now.

j2hang

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JT MaxTow, 2007 JKU Rubicon
Occupation
Automation Nerd
So I read about 30 pages. Need help please to know who has successfully added power locks to a 2022 Sport ( not S ) ? Meaning I know the lock actuator and harness will need to be changed but how was the remote door locks down specifically either via remote start with new key fob OR proximity front door lock. Thanks. I Have JScan too and of course the 2022 base Sport does come with the 7” touchscreen now . Thanks again for any help 👍😀😘

CaptNkllm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator
This is a very long thread so My question is...

Has anyone added these passive handles to the rear doors of the gladiator and if so? Same harness as the front harness or is another needed or just a couple jumper wires?

Thinking of adding this to the rears and maybe taking a strong look at whats needed for the tailgate if I was to 3d print something and add it behind the handle if possible.

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
This is a very long thread so My question is...

Has anyone added these passive handles to the rear doors of the gladiator and if so? Same harness as the front harness or is another needed or just a couple jumper wires?

Thinking of adding this to the rears and maybe taking a strong look at whats needed for the tailgate if I was to 3d print something and add it behind the handle if possible.
Tailgate may be possible but not rear doors. I'd also ask - why - on the rear doors. You are inches from the front handles.
There's not going to be wiring back there and jumpers on a network may land you in trouble. These operate on a network and not just pure power going to some on-off switch.
You can bet the wiring won't be there in any case since it's not a factory option.

CaptNkllm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator
Because I have a bad habit of reaching for the back door to unlock the car and walking to the rear to put something in the back... it happens so fast that I am already to the back when I realize its not unlocked lol..

If you was able? why wouldnt you?

Weben555

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Finished installation of the driver side
But it doesn’t work
I saw some people just replacing and installing the kit and it worked without programming.

does anyone know if programming is a must or it can work without? Thanks

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
But it doesn’t work
I saw some people just replacing and installing the kit and it worked without programming.

Where did you see people installing the part - and it simply worked?
Not here, I'm sure.
2020 and 2021 should definitely require configuration (it's not programming, it's configuring it, telling it these parts exist, etc.)

You need to go back and look at the changes required.
Look in your radio - under settings, doors and locks. IF you don't see a menu choice for passive entry, then it needs to be configured.

Sponsored

Weben555

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Thanks
I saw this video and I think one more video and they just installed it and it worked

FREEZE451

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave | 2021 Grand Cherokee L
But it doesn’t work

Try flipping the magnet around inside the handle. Sorry mobile at the moment, but inside the handle cap there is a magnet, was what fixed it for me.

Does the passenger side work?

If so, swap the handles, and if it works, then it's the magnet.

Weben555

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Where did you see people installing the part - and it simply worked?
Not here, I'm sure.
2020 and 2021 should definitely require configuration (it's not programming, it's configuring it, telling it these parts exist, etc.)

You need to go back and look at the changes required.
Look in your radio - under settings, doors and locks. IF you don't see a menu choice for passive entry, then it needs to be configured.
if the radio doesn’t have the passive entry option what should i do ?

Weben555

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Try flipping the magnet around inside the handle. Sorry mobile at the moment, but inside the handle cap there is a magnet, was what fixed it for me.

Does the passenger side work?

If so, swap the handles, and if it works, then it's the magnet.
Passenger side doesn’t work as well

AllMoparParts.com

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Benny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT's!
if the radio doesn’t have the passive entry option what should i do ?
This means programming is required, The sales code GXD needs to be added. From all of the installs we have seen programing is always required. This can be done by your dealer or 3rd party tools like the tazer and Alpha Obd.

- Benny
Sponsored