Sponsored

Proximity door locks retrofit on Wrangler/Gladiator, someone figured it out (DIY writeup)

JLM007

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sport S, 1989 YJ (RIP), 1977 J10 (Sold)
Read through this thread again (55 pages 😵) and realized the one item I didn't account for were the lock settings in UConnect (on the radio). Mine was set to "driver door only." Changed it to "all doors" and it now the rear driver door unlocks with passive entry. Not sure what 3 of the 4 doors were working for the past year and not just the driver door but who cares...works now! Thanks for the help, Erievon!
Sponsored

Darel

First Name
Darel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JT Rubi Sarge Green; '08 JK
Occupation
Military
I've been following this thread for a while but got lost somewheres around 30 pages.

My dealer sucks balls. I'll just say that up front.

Has there been a list posted of dealers that can/will do this for you? Maybe preferably in the Northeast? I'd be willing to travel if I had a reasonable chance of the dealer understanding the words coming out of my mouth, and actually being willing to do the work. I KNOW for a fact if I tried walking into one of my three local dealers they would have no idea what I was talking about, would refuse to do it, and would return to watching Spongebob videos before I even left the office.

AllMoparParts.com

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Benny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT's!
Hi Darel,
You can buy a tazer JL and perform the programming yourself. There are also other options like Jscan but I am personally not familiar with it.

- Benny

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I've been following this thread for a while but got lost somewheres around 30 pages.

My dealer sucks balls. I'll just say that up front.

Has there been a list posted of dealers that can/will do this for you? Maybe preferably in the Northeast? I'd be willing to travel if I had a reasonable chance of the dealer understanding the words coming out of my mouth, and actually being willing to do the work. I KNOW for a fact if I tried walking into one of my three local dealers they would have no idea what I was talking about, would refuse to do it, and would return to watching Spongebob videos before I even left the office.
Piece of cake using JSCAN or AlfaOBD. Either work great and aren't expensive if you want to do it yourself.

Do you have the parts installed?
You didn't say what you want the dealer to do -
Install the parts
or
configure the BCM (Body Control Module)
or
Both?

If the parts are in place, then you can have them add the GXD sales code to your truck's VIN and do a flash with the new download from Jeep.
It will likely cost you - I've heard from $50 to $100 because it does involve the dealer contacting Jeep, Jeep has to make the changes, then the dealer downloads the new configuration and flashes your truck with it.
They aren't going to just go in and check the boxes to make it work, their process will be to get the sales code added to your VIN and then flash it in.
So - don't ask them to "program" anything, tell them you want to pay them to have the sales code GXD added to your truck's VIN, and then flash the truck.

This is from notes I made a couple of years back, copied from another post ->

The dealers have to call either their technical advisor or their area manager in order for the code to be added from Chrysler.
After that, once it's added in Chrysler's system, the dealer has to perform a restore vehicle configuration which is just a PCM flash like they would use to add any other software, and then it will appear.

abe57

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave
Occupation
retired
Vehicle Showcase
Piece of cake using JSCAN or AlfaOBD. Either work great and aren't expensive if you want to do it yourself.

Do you have the parts installed?
You didn't say what you want the dealer to do -
Install the parts
or
configure the BCM (Body Control Module)
or
Both?

If the parts are in place, then you can have them add the GXD sales code to your truck's VIN and do a flash with the new download from Jeep.
It will likely cost you - I've heard from $50 to $100 because it does involve the dealer contacting Jeep, Jeep has to make the changes, then the dealer downloads the new configuration and flashes your truck with it.
They aren't going to just go in and check the boxes to make it work, their process will be to get the sales code added to your VIN and then flash it in.
So - don't ask them to "program" anything, tell them you want to pay them to have the sales code GXD added to your truck's VIN, and then flash the truck.

This is from notes I made a couple of years back, copied from another post ->

The dealers have to call either their technical advisor or their area manager in order for the code to be added from Chrysler.
After that, once it's added in Chrysler's system, the dealer has to perform a restore vehicle configuration which is just a PCM flash like they would use to add any other software, and then it will appear.
You may run into some problems with this as I did . With a self install my Dealer will not enter any codes or add simply for the fact that once entered into the vin for this self install it becomes a Factory warranted product for the life of your warranty on your truck. Once entered into the system Dealers have no idea if your unit CAME in new like this or added after the fact and have no idea if it was "Dealer installed" ... If Dealer installed this Would give you FULL warranty for the life of your Factory warranty" and if self installed would fall into PARTS Warranty only and that would be 12 months .... Good luck !! Your best bet would be to get a programmer as stated above. And Benny feel free to back me up on this..I worked in several New Car Dealerships in the parts departments so I know how these things work.

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
You may run into some problems with this as I did . With a self install my Dealer will not enter any codes or add simply for the fact that once entered into the vin for this self install it becomes a Factory warranted product for the life of your warranty on your truck. Once entered into the system Dealers have no idea if your unit CAME in new like this or added after the fact and have no idea if it was "Dealer installed" ... If Dealer installed this Would give you FULL warranty for the life of your Factory warranty" and if self installed would fall into PARTS Warranty only and that would be 12 months .... Good luck !! Your best bet would be to get a programmer as stated above. And Benny feel free to back me up on this..I worked in several New Car Dealerships in the parts departments so I know how these things work.
2 years - 24 months, not 12, if dealer installed, parts AND labor covered for 2 years - OR the remainder of the truck's warranty if longer. If you have only 12 months left on your truck warranty then the part and the install is warranted for 24 months.

If self-installed, warranty is for parts only, exchange only - 24 months, regardless of if the truck has 35 months warranty left.

If the dealer does the code in the VIN - it's entered as dealer installed.
When I traded my 2020 the sales guy said "you did it right, I looked up the vin on your trade and it showed passive entry and is part of the truck now". When I looked it said "dealer installed" because the dealer entered the sales code into the VIN.
Apparently it's considered dealer installed if you do it that way and fully covered, but it's self-installed for parts only if you don't have the code added.
Future flash/updates could require that you go in and activate it again if the sales code isn't added.
I looked at my truck's service history online after they did the VIN code update and flash and it showed passive entry as being dealer installed.
The shop that did the sales code adding was not at all related to where I traded.
The place I traded looked up my 2020 equipment and found it had passive entry. The guy there was pleased as they plan on selling my trade as a Jeep certified used vehicle and stuff like that needs to be kosher to be covered under that blanket.

It was similar for the trailer brake controller - I installed it, I told them I installed it, and yet the guy spent over 2 hours working on the issue Jeep had before the ABS update to handle 3rd party trailer brake controllers.
They said doesn't matter who installed it, the part is covered and they needed to figure out where the trouble was.

Their accessories guy said that if they install MOPAR parts, it's covered for the remainder of the truck warranty OR for the 2 year warranty, whichever is better for the customer - it becomes part of the truck if a MOPAR shop installs a MOPAR part.
I was amazed and looked it up - the accessories guy was spot-on!
If you get a new JT and 1 month later have a dealer install a MOPAR lift kit, it's covered under the remaining 35 months just like the rest of the truck -

Mopar Parts and Magneti Marelli Offered by Mopar parts replaced on an FCA US LLC vehicle still covered by the FCA US LLC New Vehicle Basic Limited Warranty are warranted for the remainder of the 3-Year/36,000-Mile New Vehicle Basic Limited Warranty, or for the Mopar 24-Month Basic Limited Warranty from the original installation date, whichever is more favorable to the customer.

Darel

First Name
Darel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Military
I'll install everything, I would just need a dealer to do the GXU sales code. Honestly it's not even worth asking one of the amoebas around here so I was hoping there was a list of dealers who it was verified had done the sales code thing and was willing to do it. I'd make a day trip to get the programming done, as long as I knew going into it that it would be done.

Kevin_D

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S, 1971 J4000, a bunch of other stuff
For under $100, you can get and use JScan for the programming. You don’t need the expensive MX+ OBDII reader, one of the $35 readers on JScan’s accepted list will work for this.

Kevin

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I'll install everything, I would just need a dealer to do the GXU sales code. Honestly it's not even worth asking one of the amoebas around here so I was hoping there was a list of dealers who it was verified had done the sales code thing and was willing to do it. I'd make a day trip to get the programming done, as long as I knew going into it that it would be done.
Dewey Ram/Jeep in Ankeny, Iowa did mine. They didn't argue, they didn't balk, they didn't hesitate, they just did it.
I suspect if I talked real nice to Scott (sales guy where I bought both the 2020 and the 2022) or Tony (a service guy there) that they'd do it out there, too, but I have it as standard in my 2022 Overland so no need. It's loaded so nothing to add that I can see so far.

For under $100, you can get and use JScan for the programming. You don’t need the expensive MX+ OBDII reader, one of the $35 readers on JScan’s accepted list will work for this.
Yeah - this one on Amazon (Vgate iCar Pro for $32) will do almost anything with jscan just fine. There's little it can't do and I'd bet most would never bump a limitation.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XGB4873

The MX+ is required for AlfaOBD, the one they will guarantee will work with their app for all functions.

So I bought both - the iCar Pro first and used with jscan for many things, but ran into headwinds with AlfaOBD so a couple of months later bought the M+
I didn't tell my wife as she'd have chewed on me for not buying it first.

abe57

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave
Occupation
retired
Vehicle Showcase
2 years - 24 months, not 12, if dealer installed, parts AND labor covered for 2 years - OR the remainder of the truck's warranty if longer. If you have only 12 months left on your truck warranty then the part and the install is warranted for 24 months.

If self-installed, warranty is for parts only, exchange only - 24 months, regardless of if the truck has 35 months warranty left.

If the dealer does the code in the VIN - it's entered as dealer installed.
When I traded my 2020 the sales guy said "you did it right, I looked up the vin on your trade and it showed passive entry and is part of the truck now". When I looked it said "dealer installed" because the dealer entered the sales code into the VIN.
Apparently it's considered dealer installed if you do it that way and fully covered, but it's self-installed for parts only if you don't have the code added.
Future flash/updates could require that you go in and activate it again if the sales code isn't added.
I looked at my truck's service history online after they did the VIN code update and flash and it showed passive entry as being dealer installed.
The shop that did the sales code adding was not at all related to where I traded.
The place I traded looked up my 2020 equipment and found it had passive entry. The guy there was pleased as they plan on selling my trade as a Jeep certified used vehicle and stuff like that needs to be kosher to be covered under that blanket.

It was similar for the trailer brake controller - I installed it, I told them I installed it, and yet the guy spent over 2 hours working on the issue Jeep had before the ABS update to handle 3rd party trailer brake controllers.
They said doesn't matter who installed it, the part is covered and they needed to figure out where the trouble was.

Their accessories guy said that if they install MOPAR parts, it's covered for the remainder of the truck warranty OR for the 2 year warranty, whichever is better for the customer - it becomes part of the truck if a MOPAR shop installs a MOPAR part.
I was amazed and looked it up - the accessories guy was spot-on!
If you get a new JT and 1 month later have a dealer install a MOPAR lift kit, it's covered under the remaining 35 months just like the rest of the truck -

Mopar Parts and Magneti Marelli Offered by Mopar parts replaced on an FCA US LLC vehicle still covered by the FCA US LLC New Vehicle Basic Limited Warranty are warranted for the remainder of the 3-Year/36,000-Mile New Vehicle Basic Limited Warranty, or for the Mopar 24-Month Basic Limited Warranty from the original installation date, whichever is more favorable to the customer.
Like I said with less words !

Sponsored

caraddictionisreal

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Freedom
Occupation
Sales
Now I'm confused...

According to this post on the JL Forums, it says that Sport S needs additional wiring installed for this mod to work... I've ripped/uploaded the photo from that post below:
XY600AIP.jpg

Yet, when I look at the driver side connector on my Sport S, it appears as follows:
20201118_145624.jpg

Edit: Passenger side:
20201118_153344.jpg

Does this mean my Sport S already has the wiring in place???
I was going to ask then same question. My Sport S/Freedom Edition harness looks just like this. Praying it's prewired.

Kevin_D

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S, 1971 J4000, a bunch of other stuff
If you've got pins in 15 & 16, you're all set for the main harness wiring.
My 2021 Sport S had the pins.
There are a few differences between the Gladiator & the Wrangler...

Kevin

Darel

First Name
Darel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Military
Dewey Ram/Jeep in Ankeny, Iowa did mine. They didn't argue, they didn't balk, they didn't hesitate, they just did it.
I suspect if I talked real nice to Scott (sales guy where I bought both the 2020 and the 2022) or Tony (a service guy there) that they'd do it out there, too, but I have it as standard in my 2022 Overland so no need. It's loaded so nothing to add that I can see so far.

Yeah - this one on Amazon (Vgate iCar Pro for $32) will do almost anything with jscan just fine. There's little it can't do and I'd bet most would never bump a limitation.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XGB4873

The MX+ is required for AlfaOBD, the one they will guarantee will work with their app for all functions.

So I bought both - the iCar Pro first and used with jscan for many things, but ran into headwinds with AlfaOBD so a couple of months later bought the M+
I didn't tell my wife as she'd have chewed on me for not buying it first.
I'm sorry I've gone so far out of y way to avoid ever having to use one of those plugin programmers that I never researched anything about them. As I've said here many times, the warranty is the most important part of my truck....

Anywhoo with that $32 one, so that will enable the proximity locks? And, do you have to leave it in all the time or does it "load" the program and then you take it back out? And do you have to "unload" the program when you take your truck in for service so they can't claim a warranty violation?

The last thing I want to do is start playing around with that, but for $32 and having it done in a weekend vs. $200 and even just trying to find and explain it to a dealer while waiting 3 months to get an appointment.....I kinda get it.

To be clear the proximity lock programming would be the ONLY thing I would use this for, so it'd be nice to be able to just dump the "program" and then dump the unit......

TTU03

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Granite Willys
Added this to the drivers side today as a Christmas present for myself. Very nice video in the thread made this simple. Programmed with jscan and it works! I have not seen any changes in my 8.4 screen settings yet but maybe the truck needs to set a bit for the system to fully reset. I did active the module for the radio.
With jscan I did turn on both left and right side smart switch as I was not sure which side is considered the drivers side. I guess it won’t really matter if one side is set to on but does not have the new harness/handle.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Added this to the drivers side today as a Christmas present for myself. Very nice video in the thread made this simple. Programmed with jscan and it works! I have not seen any changes in my 8.4 screen settings yet but maybe the truck needs to set a bit for the system to fully reset. I did active the module for the radio.
With jscan I did turn on both left and right side smart switch as I was not sure which side is considered the drivers side. I guess it won’t really matter if one side is set to on but does not have the new harness/handle.
The CSM changes can take some time to appear in the "radio" . Mine took until the next day, as I recall, a good 24 hours.
Then keep in mind, the setting as to what happens with the other doors applies to this as well - unlock only driver, or unlock all.
I have mine set to all so that it unlocks the tailgate and the passenger door for my wife to get in.
Sponsored