Sponsored

Proximity door locks retrofit on Wrangler/Gladiator, someone figured it out (DIY writeup)

PAULIEWANKENOBI

First Name
paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
So, did this mod about a year ago. Used JScan to activate. Everything worked perfectly, till about 3 months ago. My truck kept locking the doors by itself, running, idling, driving, off in the driveway. Brought to dealership, they replaced both factory key fobs. It worked after that for about a month, then slowly stopped. One day it wouldn't unlock with handle grab, but would lock with handle button press, then one day nothing from handle or unlock button but key fobs work. I took door card out and inspected the wiring all good. Checked settings on JScan no change. I ordered a new magnetic cap since that was cheapest and it didn't fix anything. So my long winded question is, do I replace the door handle or just deal with it not working? Does anyone think the handle replacement would fix it?
Sponsored

Kevin_D

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S, 1971 J4000, a bunch of other stuff
So, did this mod about a year ago. Used JScan to activate. Everything worked perfectly, till about 3 months ago. My truck kept locking the doors by itself, running, idling, driving, off in the driveway. Brought to dealership, they replaced both factory key fobs. It worked after that for about a month, then slowly stopped. One day it wouldn't unlock with handle grab, but would lock with handle button press, then one day nothing from handle or unlock button but key fobs work. I took door card out and inspected the wiring all good. Checked settings on JScan no change. I ordered a new magnetic cap since that was cheapest and it didn't fix anything. So my long winded question is, do I replace the door handle or just deal with it not working? Does anyone think the handle replacement would fix it?
Does it act the same on both front doors?

Kevin

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Only bought the driver's door. Don't need the other 3 to be proximity.
There's no passive entry/proximity for the rear doors or tailgate anyway.
The only choices are the front doors. No other option.

Kevin_D

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S, 1971 J4000, a bunch of other stuff
Only bought the driver's door. Don't need the other 3 to be proximity.
Okay…
BTW, there’s never been a provision for the rear doors.
I’d try disconnecting both batteries, and allowing the system to reboot, then start with JScan and undo the settings, then reboot again, then reset the JScan settings.

Kevin

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
You can also use JSCAN to do a "reset ECUs" or whatever it's called.

Patsfan5433

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator Willy S
Occupation
Retired
You can but custom wiring will be needed. Attached is a photo showing what needs to be done. I would search some of threads for any tips and shortcuts some other owners have been doing.

Please let me know if you have any questions.
Thanks,
-Benny

JL JT PASSIVE ENTRY.jpg
Do you know the male and female pin sizes for the XY600A & XY315A?
thanks

AllMoparParts.com

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Benny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT's!
Sorry Jay we do not as mopar does not sell just the terminals. I know there have been guys who have been able to find these online, I believe through Molex? Might want to ask on the Wrangler forums as well.

- Benny

4S50

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Sportsman of Leisure
I installed mine (driver door only) day before yesterday and it was very straightforward. My window bolts were not recalcitrant, but the door panel clips/pins were stout and needed more prying and pulling than I expected.
The Tazer activated it fine and it has been working great! This has been a welcome modification as I hated the process of getting the fob out of my pocket, pushing the button, then putting it back in my pocket and regretted not ordering proximity locks initially.
I took my Gladiator to the dealer for the first time ever last week to have them track down a coolant leak and perform the computer updates. I unmarried the tazer that has been in there continuously since 2020 and requested that the technician activate the passive door handle in the Jeep’s computer. They said sure, $185.
A couple of days later they call me to advise that they tried to activate the passive lock, and it did not work. The key fob no longer unlocks the doors and check engine light is on, and they are unable to figure out how to restore it. They reached out to the mothership and will get back to me.
A few days later the solution I am presented with is that I buy a body PCM and pay them to install it.
I suggested that they keep looking, because I do not think that is the best solution.
Later in the day they called and said a Chrysler service person was able to remote into my truck and restore it.
Back to the tazer!
FYI

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I took my Gladiator to the dealer for the first time ever last week to have them track down a coolant leak and perform the computer updates. I unmarried the tazer that has been in there continuously since 2020 and requested that the technician activate the passive door handle in the Jeep’s computer. They said sure, $185.
A couple of days later they call me to advise that they tried to activate the passive lock, and it did not work. The key fob no longer unlocks the doors and check engine light is on, and they are unable to figure out how to restore it. They reached out to the mothership and will get back to me.
A few days later the solution I am presented with is that I buy a body PCM and pay them to install it.
I suggested that they keep looking, because I do not think that is the best solution.
Later in the day they called and said a Chrysler service person was able to remote into my truck and restore it.
Back to the tazer!
FYI
JSCAN or AlfaOBD can change those settings in minutes, and they are then permanent until or unless the dealer has to flash the BCM back to how they have record of your VIN.
In my case, they added the functionality to my VIN so if the truck was flashed, it would retain the settings i had put into it. That was on my 2020 - my 2022 came with it so no biggy.
I thought tazer could go in and change those settings and make them permanent? If not - why not? It's not a live function at all! It's a software setting even the two I mentioned above can do.
I bet tazer can make the change - and allow tazer to be removed without losing the settings. If not, that sucks.

AllMoparParts.com

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Benny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT's!
Back to the tazer!
FYI
We had this happen to a customer in FL, I believe what caused it was the wrong/multiple sales codes being flashed into it.

-Benny

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
We had this happen to a customer in FL, I believe what caused it was the wrong/multiple sales codes being flashed into it.

-Benny
I found out something interesting - if a feature or option was not available when your truck was made, it apparently can't be added to the VIN.
Dealer that added the passive entry sales code to my 2020's VIN could not add the auto high beam to the VIN.
passive entry was an option when mine was bought, we just failed to ensure that box got checked. Auto high beam was not an option. They were not able to add it. But then, no big deal because if a flash had removed those settings, I could simply reconnect with JSCAN or AlfaOBD and put the settings back.
A flash had no impact on the passive entry - it was successfully entered into the VIN.
Later when I checked on the stuff for my Jeep under the jeep dot com site, my garage, my JT and looked at the work history - the dealership had entered that THEY added passive entry.
So the nice side effect of all that was that it appeared as if it was done by a dealership.
When I traded it, the sales guy was impressed as when he looked up my 2020 JT for trade-in info.
Sponsored