Sponsored

Proximity door locks retrofit on Wrangler/Gladiator, someone figured it out (DIY writeup)

Weben555

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
This means programming is required, The sales code GXD needs to be added. From all of the installs we have seen programing is always required. This can be done by your dealer or 3rd party tools like the tazer and Alpha Obd.

- Benny
Benny thank you very much
I actually had the dealer doing the installation for me and they said they can’t get it work
Sponsored

AllMoparParts.com

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Benny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT's!
I actually had the dealer doing the installation for me and they said they can’t get it work
So not only does the code GXD need to be added to the vehicle build data but then a reconfiguration needs to be performed which the dealer "should" know to do. If the option is not there I'm guessing it was not performed correctly.

-Benny

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
AlfaOBD or JSCAN, etc. - these settings -

(this is from notes I made 2 years ago)
With JScan you need to enable the passive entry,
turn on the UConnect passive entry setting,
and enable the appropriate antennas.

These are the changes, no matter which tool you use (except tazer, it assumes and makes the top two changes for you when you add passive entry present):

AP1 Left front > smart switch

AP2 right front > smart switch

Passive entry present > yes/ active

Passive entry CSM > yes/ active
<- this one makes the customer menu selection appear in the radio settings menu.

As far as the sales code GXD, that's optional if you have already configured these settings. If they don't add the sales code and the BCM is flashed, the settings get lost. If they do add the code, then your VIN is on record as having passive entry and future updates or flashes will have the settings in place and they won't get lost and have to be reconfigured again later.

abe57

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave
Occupation
retired
Vehicle Showcase
Well I wanted the sales code added after I installed it and talked to a Dealer and they stated if YOU installed it they will NOT add the code to your vehicles VIN. Because then if there is a problem with it and the sales code is entered to your VIN Factory warranty would pick it up." If as some had said here had the dealer get the code in for them with a self install well you have on Hell-of-a dealer so stick with them "! With no code in the system attached to your VIN they will know you added it and anything to do with the passive entry will not be under the Factory warranty... So my thoughts is any updates or anything of the sort will have no adverse affects after the install be it dealer programed or Tazer..ect.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Well I wanted the sales code added after I installed it and talked to a Dealer and they stated if YOU installed it they will NOT add the code to your vehicles VIN. Because then if there is a problem with it and the sales code is entered to your VIN Factory warranty would pick it up." If as some had said here had the dealer get the code in for them with a self install well you have on Hell-of-a dealer so stick with them "! With no code in the system attached to your VIN they will know you added it and anything to do with the passive entry will not be under the Factory warranty... So my thoughts is any updates or anything of the sort will have no adverse affects after the install be it dealer programed or Tazer..ect.
Sorry, that was hard to follow - especially the last part - I guess I didn't get the point of the last sentences - but anyway -

They are so wrong! Your dealer is full of crap.
For one thing, the parts are covered by the MOPAR warranty, and as my dealer, and even accessories guy told me - install a MOPAR part that integrates into the truck, it's covered of course by the MOPAR parts warranty, but better yet - it's part of the truck and covered by the remaining truck warranty if that's better. So if you buy a new truck, have 3/36 warranty, and add these parts - it's part of the truck and covered according to them, worst case - 2 years.

If YOU messed up, say you cut or pinched a wire or busted a part - that's on you, but the parts and system are otherwise covered. The passive entry is already all in there, just a matter of parts and selecting to turn it on in the BCM.

Several on the forum have had it added - some have had to pay, others not pay. I am not the only one. Look back. Even Benny talked of having it added. It is done, dealers do it, your dealer sucks.

I went in and asked the local dealer if they would do such a thing if I added passive entry. Yes, the service writer wasn't sure but thought there would be a minimum of $50 charge, as high as $100.
I bought the parts (thanks, Benny) - before he even had a "kit", and I added the hardware, and use my software to change the settings and selections to active/yes, etc.
It worked great.
I went in with some other work to be done, a couple of minor warranty things, and talked to a different service writer this time - the other guy was busy - and told him of the stuff I wanted done and explained that using all of the correct and proper MOPAR parts, I had added passive entry and auto high beam to my truck. I asked him if they could look into having those sales codes added to my VIN, I said I realized that because I added the parts and it wasn't a warranty thing that I would have to pay and told him if there's a charge, consider that I have agreed to pay that charge. I also told him I had wanted passive entry all along but the sales guy missed checking that box and I myself failed to catch it when I reviewed the list of options so it was really my bad.
I went to get the truck. The service writer wasn't busy and met me with the paperwork and as we walked to the cashier, I asked him how much.
He showed me the papers - $0 - no charge.
He said they called Jeep, got the code added to my VIN, that caused new configurations to be built for my truck's VIN, they downloaded the new files and flashed them to my truck to make sure everything worked.
It did - EXCEPT for the auto high beam.
The reason that didn't work is because it was not an option in November 2019. It WAS an option for December 2019 but my VIN would not accept that piece so auto high beams had to be put back in the system manually (big deal, a few simple settings) but the passive entry is there in my VIN.
So if my truck gets any updates that could impact that part of things, the passive entry settings won't get lost, they'll be part of any new flash. And fully covered under warranty. The parts, being MOPAR, are covered in any case. If the driver door stops unlocking now, it's a warranty thing. If the button on the door handle refuses to lock the doors when pressed, it's a warranty thing.
And this is not the only dealer that's done this.

This is part of my notes from 2 years ago - another member posted this because they had done it, and it's proof that dealers WILL and DO do it ->

Step 8 - go to dealer and have them add sales code GXD and program vehicle

GXD sales code

The dealers have to call either their technical advisor or their area manager in order for the code to be added from Chrysler. After that, once it's added in Chrysler's system, the dealer has to perform a restore vehicle configuration which is just a PCM flash like they would use to add any other software, and then it will appear.

Sponsored

Weben555

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
AlfaOBD or JSCAN, etc. - these settings -

(this is from notes I made 2 years ago)
With JScan you need to enable the passive entry,
turn on the UConnect passive entry setting,
and enable the appropriate antennas.

These are the changes, no matter which tool you use (except tazer, it assumes and makes the top two changes for you when you add passive entry present):

AP1 Left front > smart switch

AP2 right front > smart switch

Passive entry present > yes/ active

Passive entry CSM > yes/ active
<- this one makes the customer menu selection appear in the radio settings menu.

As far as the sales code GXD, that's optional if you have already configured these settings. If they don't add the sales code and the BCM is flashed, the settings get lost. If they do add the code, then your VIN is on record as having passive entry and future updates or flashes will have the settings in place and they won't get lost and have to be reconfigured again later.
Thank you
In this video it looks like as soon as he finished installation it worked without doing anything else

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Thank you
In this video it looks like as soon as he finished installation it worked without doing anything else

If you read all of the comments (or even a lot of them) you'll see where he talks of having a dealer do the programming and adding the sales code.
Others talk of having a dealer do that, one mentions tazer, you can use jscan, alfaobd, tazer, whatever.
And be careful - because some of the comments are wrong. One guy says dealers can't or won't because they aren't aware it can even be done. If this was 3 or even 2.5 years ago, I might agree - but in the last couple of years, dealers have learned a lot about this ability.

The comment from his video (below) is interesting - adding the settings takes only minutes, but adding the sales code to the VIN does take longer and involves an actual flash if they do it that way.
Two ways - manually make the selections in the system,
or,
have the sales code added to the VIN and then flash it - that makes the same changes that you make manually, but ensures that future flashes won't remove the settings.
(or do both - you make the changes using jscan, alfaobd, whatever, and then have a dealer add the sales code to your VIN)

Jeep Gladiator Proximity door locks retrofit on Wrangler/Gladiator, someone figured it out (DIY writeup) 1655391832910

abe57

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave
Occupation
retired
Vehicle Showcase
Sorry, that was hard to follow - especially the last part - I guess I didn't get the point of the last sentences - but anyway -

They are so wrong! Your dealer is full of crap.
For one thing, the parts are covered by the MOPAR warranty, and as my dealer, and even accessories guy told me - install a MOPAR part that integrates into the truck, it's covered of course by the MOPAR parts warranty, but better yet - it's part of the truck and covered by the remaining truck warranty if that's better. So if you buy a new truck, have 3/36 warranty, and add these parts - it's part of the truck and covered according to them, worst case - 2 years.

If YOU messed up, say you cut or pinched a wire or busted a part - that's on you, but the parts and system are otherwise covered. The passive entry is already all in there, just a matter of parts and selecting to turn it on in the BCM.

Several on the forum have had it added - some have had to pay, others not pay. I am not the only one. Look back. Even Benny talked of having it added. It is done, dealers do it, your dealer sucks.

I went in and asked the local dealer if they would do such a thing if I added passive entry. Yes, the service writer wasn't sure but thought there would be a minimum of $50 charge, as high as $100.
I bought the parts (thanks, Benny) - before he even had a "kit", and I added the hardware, and use my software to change the settings and selections to active/yes, etc.
It worked great.
I went in with some other work to be done, a couple of minor warranty things, and talked to a different service writer this time - the other guy was busy - and told him of the stuff I wanted done and explained that using all of the correct and proper MOPAR parts, I had added passive entry and auto high beam to my truck. I asked him if they could look into having those sales codes added to my VIN, I said I realized that because I added the parts and it wasn't a warranty thing that I would have to pay and told him if there's a charge, consider that I have agreed to pay that charge. I also told him I had wanted passive entry all along but the sales guy missed checking that box and I myself failed to catch it when I reviewed the list of options so it was really my bad.
I went to get the truck. The service writer wasn't busy and met me with the paperwork and as we walked to the cashier, I asked him how much.
He showed me the papers - $0 - no charge.
He said they called Jeep, got the code added to my VIN, that caused new configurations to be built for my truck's VIN, they downloaded the new files and flashed them to my truck to make sure everything worked.
It did - EXCEPT for the auto high beam.
The reason that didn't work is because it was not an option in November 2019. It WAS an option for December 2019 but my VIN would not accept that piece so auto high beams had to be put back in the system manually (big deal, a few simple settings) but the passive entry is there in my VIN.
So if my truck gets any updates that could impact that part of things, the passive entry settings won't get lost, they'll be part of any new flash. And fully covered under warranty. The parts, being MOPAR, are covered in any case. If the driver door stops unlocking now, it's a warranty thing. If the button on the door handle refuses to lock the doors when pressed, it's a warranty thing.
And this is not the only dealer that's done this.

This is part of my notes from 2 years ago - another member posted this because they had done it, and it's proof that dealers WILL and DO do it ->

Step 8 - go to dealer and have them add sales code GXD and program vehicle

GXD sales code

The dealers have to call either their technical advisor or their area manager in order for the code to be added from Chrysler. After that, once it's added in Chrysler's system, the dealer has to perform a restore vehicle configuration which is just a PCM flash like they would use to add any other software, and then it will appear.
Long story short...Yes PARTS would be covered under their oem after the fact purchase and still in the PARTS warranty period BUT if something goes wrong down the road lets say the handle not activating and needs a new part and still under the parts warranty the part would be covered and not labor because it did not come with the truck when landed on the lot and it was a self install and not a dealer install. This would also go for the brake controller and multi switch that I had also installed.

Weben555

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
If you read all of the comments (or even a lot of them) you'll see where he talks of having a dealer do the programming and adding the sales code.
Others talk of having a dealer do that, one mentions tazer, you can use jscan, alfaobd, tazer, whatever.
And be careful - because some of the comments are wrong. One guy says dealers can't or won't because they aren't aware it can even be done. If this was 3 or even 2.5 years ago, I might agree - but in the last couple of years, dealers have learned a lot about this ability.

The comment from his video (below) is interesting - adding the settings takes only minutes, but adding the sales code to the VIN does take longer and involves an actual flash if they do it that way.
Two ways - manually make the selections in the system,
or,
have the sales code added to the VIN and then flash it - that makes the same changes that you make manually, but ensures that future flashes won't remove the settings.
(or do both - you make the changes using jscan, alfaobd, whatever, and then have a dealer add the sales code to your VIN)

1655391832910.png
This is exactly my dealer response and it’s not from 2 years ago it’s today.

I needed to convince them so many time to install it and they kept saying it will not work
When the installation is completed they say we did what you asked but it’s not working..

i will probably go with icar and jscan
Any pros/cons ?

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
This is exactly my dealer response and it’s not from 2 years ago it’s today.

I needed to convince them so many time to install it and they kept saying it will not work
When the installation is completed they say we did what you asked but it’s not working..

i will probably go with icar and jscan
Any pros/cons ?
The only "con" is that if it's flashed for any updates or fixes in the future, and the flash touches those settings (not real likely, but possible) you'd have to put them back. No big deal, just do what you did the first time.

Pro - cheaper, you'll learn about your truck, you can use those things - like jscan, for example, in the future or for other things, read the codes if you have a check engine light, etc. So you may not use it for weeks or months, but like I have done - I have recorded settings, changed the tire size when I changed tires, and you can read error codes.

Odd about some dealers - have you printed and showed them what's been done here?

Sponsored

Weben555

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Thank
The only "con" is that if it's flashed for any updates or fixes in the future, and the flash touches those settings (not real likely, but possible) you'd have to put them back. No big deal, just do what you did the first time.

Pro - cheaper, you'll learn about your truck, you can use those things - like jscan, for example, in the future or for other things, read the codes if you have a check engine light, etc. So you may not use it for weeks or months, but like I have done - I have recorded settings, changed the tire size when I changed tires, and you can read error codes.

Odd about some dealers - have you printed and showed them what's been done here?
Thanks for all the information
Really appreciate it

JLM007

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sport S, 1989 YJ (RIP), 1977 J10 (Sold)
Wondering if someone can assist with an issue I'm having. Since I did the install over a year ago, all doors lock and unlock correctly except the rear drivers side door. I've checked all the codes in JSCAN, checked for bent pins, confirmed the end cap magnets are positioned correctly and tried different fobs. Nothing. The rear driver door doesn't unlock when using the passive entry at both the driver side and the passenger side. Any ideas on what the issue could be?

Erievon

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JTR., 2021 JLU Altitude
Occupation
International Banker
Does that door lock and unlock when pushing the fob buttons or the switch on the inside of the front doors? Is it only failing on proximity use or on any lock/unlock method?

JLM007

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sport S, 1989 YJ (RIP), 1977 J10 (Sold)
Only failing on proximity use.

Erievon

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JTR., 2021 JLU Altitude
Occupation
International Banker
Maybe someone else has an idea. If all the settings are correct in JSCAN (I'd double check maybe the AP1-AP5, I know we don't have the tailgate but I'd turn on all 5 anyway to be safe) Then I'm lost. Once activated, the lock cylinders themselves wouldn't know the difference between a fob button press, an interior button press, or a proximity activation, so I don't think it's a bent pin or broken wire in the door harness.
Sponsored