Sponsored

Proximity door locks retrofit on Wrangler/Gladiator, someone figured it out (DIY writeup)

ecidiego

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
IT
Awesome, thanks!

Ack forgot one other thing, after reading many opinions - what is the BEST security bypass cable to use in combo with the OBDLink MX+?
Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase

IamPro2A

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'95 YJ, '07 Ram, '16 JK, '21 Sport S Max Tow
Ack forgot one other thing, after reading many opinions - what is the BEST security bypass cable to use in combo with the OBDLink MX+?
WTH happened to the price of that OBDLink MX+???
I looked at it a few months ago and it was like $70. Have a $50 Amazon gift card and I was thinking of grabbing it, just since my current reader is like 10+ years old, and will probably crap itself if I plug it into the Gladiator. Went on Amazon, and now it's $140?!?

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I looked at it a few months ago and it was like $70. Have a $50 Amazon gift card and I was thinking of grabbing it, just since my current reader is like 10+ years old, and will probably crap itself if I plug it into the Gladiator. Went on Amazon, and now it's $140?!?
8' 2x4 was $2.50, now $8.50
Perhaps they are having trouble getting chips for the adapter?

My wife has been telling me "if you think we might need it and can afford it, grab it now".

ecidiego

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
IT
8' 2x4 was $2.50, now $8.50
Perhaps they are having trouble getting chips for the adapter?

My wife has been telling me "if you think we might need it and can afford it, grab it now".
Dude my projects......install all factory options I want but don't have has commenced. Assed out on prox locks for 45 day backorder but just ordered ALL OEM parts for front trailcam install and aux switches install. May God have mercy on my soul.

Jeep Gladiator Proximity door locks retrofit on Wrangler/Gladiator, someone figured it out (DIY writeup) Screenshot_20220311-221907_Gmail

Fishee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Willys NACHO
Dude my projects......install all factory options I want but don't have has commenced. Assed out on prox locks for 45 day backorder but just ordered ALL OEM parts for front trailcam install and aux switches install. May God have mercy on my soul.

Jeep Gladiator Proximity door locks retrofit on Wrangler/Gladiator, someone figured it out (DIY writeup) Screenshot_20220311-221907_Gmail
I wanted to do OEM trail cam but the parts were like $1000 and a huge pain. Just got the Zautomotive one when I got my tazer. Good luck

Kevin_D

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S, 1971 J4000, a bunch of other stuff
I bought this one:
Viecar Bluetooth 4.0 OBD2 Diagnostic Scanner https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MTKSCEJ/
And it works well for the normal JScan functions.
I did end up buying the OBDLink MX+ later, to be able to use the extended functions. Last July it was $80, not $70.
If you want to program the Passive Entry, set LED lamps, program tire size, the, “Normal,” JScan functions are sufficient.

Or you could buy AlfaOBD for ~$60, and use the less expensive adapter. But I’m not sure if the adapter will limit AlfaOBD.

Kevin

IamPro2A

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'95 YJ, '07 Ram, '16 JK, '21 Sport S Max Tow
I bought this one:
Viecar Bluetooth 4.0 OBD2 Diagnostic Scanner https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MTKSCEJ/
And it works well for the normal JScan functions.
I did end up buying the OBDLink MX+ later, to be able to use the extended functions. Last July it was $80, not $70.
If you want to program the Passive Entry, set LED lamps, program tire size, the, “Normal,” JScan functions are sufficient.

Or you could buy AlfaOBD for ~$60, and use the less expensive adapter. But I’m not sure if the adapter will limit AlfaOBD.

Kevin
It was $80, but there was a promo code to bring it down to $67.74 on Amazon.
I can use the Tazer for anything JScan can do, so I'm good with all the "normal" stuff on the Gladiator. I was more looking at AlphaOBD for the enhanced stuff and the fact I have multiple vehicles it will work on. And currently, the ONLY adapter currently available that AlphaOBD recommends for a JL/JT is the OBDLink MX+. That or another one with the same capabilities also makes sense since any future vehicle is also likely to use the faster bus speeds. I was mostly just bitchin, because $20 ($70 minus $50 gift card) is impulse buy for me. $90/$140 is wait until I need it.

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
It was $80, but there was a promo code to bring it down to $67.74 on Amazon.
I can use the Tazer for anything JScan can do, so I'm good with all the "normal" stuff on the Gladiator. I was more looking at AlphaOBD for the enhanced stuff and the fact I have multiple vehicles it will work on. And currently, the ONLY adapter currently available that AlphaOBD recommends for a JL/JT is the OBDLink MX+. That or another one with the same capabilities also makes sense since any future vehicle is also likely to use the faster bus speeds. I was mostly just bitchin, because $20 ($70 minus $50 gift card) is impulse buy for me. $90/$140 is wait until I need it.
The MX+ is a faster unit. In electronics, computers, speed can matter. I've seen it said that some functions need the speed of the MX+ to communicate changes to some areas. Everything I researched used the word "speed".
I got AlphaOBD for multiple reasons - works on any FCA vehicle, a single license allows you to install it on any of your Android devices (I wanted it on my TABLET) and I could use it on my wife's Jeep without another license, or could even help out someone else with a RAM or Jeep product.
At my age and with my eyes, the 10" tablet blows away the best phone screen........... large screen, stylus, multiple vehicles, all reasons I went with it. Nothing wrong with JSCAN at all - it's a great product and if you have one Jeep, it's obviously cheaper. I've used jscan and like it and frankly, for simple things like tire size changes, it's actually more intuitive - easier to quickly get to things in the way it's organized.
Every tool has its place, every tool has something that's better or worse than any other tool.

When I bought the MX+ 2 years ago it was about 70, then last year someone asked what I bought, I found the link in my purchase history and it was then 80........ and each time I've looked it up for someone who asked what I had, it was up more.

Last edited:

abe57

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave
Occupation
retired
Vehicle Showcase
Ahh Inflation ..ain't it Great !!

ecidiego

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
IT
I wanted to do OEM trail cam but the parts were like $1000 and a huge pain. Just got the Zautomotive one when I got my tazer. Good luck
I can tell you I thought about it for months! We will see how it goes.

redman43

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT Sport S MaxTow White
Got the drivers side installed the other day and activated with Taser, works great. This really should be standard, or at least an add-on option. As with others, the passenger side harness is on backorder right now, which just makes me sad.

Inside lock/unlock switches aren't working on the drivers door, but I think (I hope) I just forgot to re-connect the new harness to the door panel itself. No big deal at this point. When I have some time and some decent weather, I'll pull it off and confirm.
Sponsored