Sponsored

Proximity door locks retrofit on Wrangler/Gladiator, someone figured it out (DIY writeup)

thebk

First Name
BK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2021 Gladiator
Occupation
IT
Well, in short I didn't look at the parts list closely enough when ordering to notice the difference in passenger and driver side wiring looms. So when I opened the kit, I assumed they were the same because I got TWO for the passenger side :(
Sponsored

AllMoparParts.com

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Benny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT's!
Hi Benny,

If I don't have pin 15 and 16 present, I can't add the proximity kit to my Gladiator?
You can but custom wiring will be needed. Attached is a photo showing what needs to be done. I would search some of threads for any tips and shortcuts some other owners have been doing.

Please let me know if you have any questions.
Thanks,
-Benny

JL JT PASSIVE ENTRY.jpg

Silverglad

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator
Occupation
Retired
I ordered the parts to add proximity locks to my Gladiator 3 months ago. They just came in today. I have no need for them as I have traded for a new Gladiator with this option already there. For sale $300.00 plus actual shipping costs.
Jeep Gladiator Proximity door locks retrofit on Wrangler/Gladiator, someone figured it out (DIY writeup) 20210308_152302

sblaine

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator Willys - Red
Occupation
Security Alarms
I ordered the parts to add proximity locks to my Gladiator 3 months ago. They just came in today. I have no need for them as I have traded for a new Gladiator with this option already there. For sale $300.00 plus actual shipping costs.
Jeep Gladiator Proximity door locks retrofit on Wrangler/Gladiator, someone figured it out (DIY writeup) 20210308_152302
For anyone even thinking about this, this is one of the best decisions I made. I love this mod if you don't already have the proximity/passive entry on your Gladiator. And many times there is a wait time to get these parts. This would be perfect for you!

Sponsored

bjeans523

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Sahara
For the passive entry door handles can the GXD code be added to the vehicle prior to installing the parts? I probably will just find a dealer to add the code I don’t have all that fancy equipment needed to do it myself

sblaine

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator Willys - Red
Occupation
Security Alarms
For the passive entry door handles can the GXD code be added to the vehicle prior to installing the parts? I probably will just find a dealer to add the code I don’t have all that fancy equipment needed to do it myself
I think that the "GXD" code is only added so that it shows that you have "Passive Entry" on the build sheet of the Jeep. So if you ran a window sticker off of the Vin # it would show that the Jeep has that feature added. I didnt do this.

Really I believe what you are asking is, "Can the dealer program my Jeep to have Passive Entry activated prior to installing the actual new prox door handles and wire harness?" And the answer is Yes.

I would highly recommend buying a 12+8 cable and a bluetooth reader, and using the JSCAN app. It is pretty cheap and I have used mine for multiple things already.
There are some fun things that you can do.

For example, I have been switching my lights over to LED, and you can tell your Jeep that these are present. I also recalculated my tire size so that my speedometer is accurate.
And of course, I enabled my passive entry (which has been one of my favorite mods), and I only installed the drivers side (which is possible, as you don't have to install both sides).

The Jeep dealer will charge you for each time you bring your Jeep in to make a programming change. Not to mention, the hassle of time of waiting at the dealer for these things to be done.

Hope this helps.

bjeans523

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Sahara
I think that the "GXD" code is only added so that it shows that you have "Passive Entry" on the build sheet of the Jeep. So if you ran a window sticker off of the Vin # it would show that the Jeep has that feature added. I didnt do this.

Really I believe what you are asking is, "Can the dealer program my Jeep to have Passive Entry activated prior to installing the actual new prox door handles and wire harness?" And the answer is Yes.

I would highly recommend buying a 12+8 cable and a bluetooth reader, and using the JSCAN app. It is pretty cheap and I have used mine for multiple things already.

For example, I have been switching my lights over to LED, and you can tell your Jeep that these are present. I also recalculated my tire size so that my speedometer is accurate.
And of course, I enabled my passive entry (which has been one of my favorite mods), and I only installed the drivers side (which is possible, as you don't have to install both sides).

The Jeep dealer will charge you for each time you bring your Jeep in to make a programming change. Not to mention, the hassle of time of waiting at the dealer for these things to be done.

Hope this helps.
Hope this helps.
Thanks so much!

BEERviper

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator SS eco Diesel
Occupation
Real Estate
Isn't this what they cost new at AllMoparParts? I'm interested...

Sleighman

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys Gladiator
Occupation
Retired LEO
Vehicle Showcase
Best mod I have done so far. Next best was Sun Rider for hard tops.

Sponsored

Speed1969

First Name
Moe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Sport
Occupation
Clerk
I'm sharing this to help out since I just recently managed to add proximity to a 2019 JLU Sport S and a 2020 Gladiator Sport S. A lot of this is copied over from my post on the JL forum but is still applicable here.

The install has gone really smoothly. The entire Wrangler is done, and I only did the driver's side on the Gladiator (for science) so that we can get an answer to whether or not it will work without the entire system installed (it does). I checked, and it looks like my JLU and JT both have all the requisite antennas that were known to exist on the Sahara and Rubicon, so check on that. I did not have the harnesses that support the handle on either Jeep, but the install is pretty simple, and the parts are relatively cheap. I will make a video on this when I add it to the other side of the Gladiator.

Hardware = done, but now it's time for the hard part. Getting this enabled in your computer is a bit of a chore, and one that I'm still working, but I think I have licked now (knock on wood). I first attempted it with the Jscan OBD app as it has been mentioned that it had a proximity setting that could be triggered. Whenever I altered the setting with the 7-inch radio, the proximity setting popped up under the doors and locks page, and I thought I had a simple way to get this done. Unfortunately, the setting would not take. I think it is because it enables it on the radio group, but doesn't program the RF module to be looking for the keys to trigger the locks from the handles. As a side note, on my 8.4-inch radio, the setting wouldn't ever appear from the Jscan, so that was a very dead end.

I had also reached out to Tazer since that's what I have been using to calibrate for the tire size on the Gladiator to ask if they wanted me to test out any firmware that might enable the option since we know that it can be done now. I never heard back from them on that. Not a knock on them since I'm sure they get tons of messages about features, and there's no way for them to vet it all.

This left me with the option of going to the dealer. We have seen that people have had mixed success with this, and I am no different here. My local dealer agreed to give it a shot, but communication with them has been hard since this seems to be such an unorthodox ask for them. Kudos for trying, but the first time I took it in and showed them this thread, they tried to program it from their system and told me that GXM was the only code that popped up and the couldn't add GXD. They gave me a number to call for Jeep corporate to have it added, but it was a dead-end on 3 separate calls, as they had no idea what I was talking about and thought I was trying to get an individual recall added.

At a dead end again, I found a dealership that had successfully done this in the past. The people up front on the phone had no idea what I was talking about but said they'd have the shop foreman give me a call. Surprisingly he did and explained to me what goes on behind the scenes for this. He has gotten this to work on Jeeps and Ram trucks that they have at the dealership. The dealers themselves can not add the GXD sales code because MOPAR doesn't sell a kit for the dealers to add it as an option. The dealers have to call either their technical advisor or their area manager in order for the code to be added from Chrysler. After that, once it's added in Chrysler's system, the dealer has to perform a restore vehicle configuration which is just a PCM flash like they would use to add any other software, and then it will appear.

Armed with this, I called two other local dealers, but they still had no idea how they would attempt this and told me it couldn't be done. I went back to my original dealer with these instructions, and they were still unable to make it happen for me. Luckily, the dealer I had spoken with that had done it offered to put me on his list to add it just to help me out. This will update the options for my VINs in the database and all my local dealership has to do is flash the system. He did say that he's working with Chrysler to get this added as an option for the dealers to be able to change without Chrysler's assistance, so there may be a much easier way in the future. It'll be no different than adding AUX switches or changing tire sizes. I am not listing the Service Center as they asked me not to since they can't handle all the traffic that would probably come from this, but they are working on making it easier for everyone.

The other dealer worked! I got my Gladiator back with only one handle on and the proximity works just like it was factory installed! I later got home and added the second handle (Seen below), and it worked right off the bat too.

This would be very difficult to add to the tailgate because of the way that it works. I'm sure someone much smarter than I could make it work, but I'd wager that you'll have much more effort in it than opening the tailgate for the rest of the time you own the truck.

TL;DR It is going to be very dealer dependant on whether you can get this to work or not. If it were not for me being slow at work due to COVID, I probably wouldn't have had the time to run all of this down.

Video is Linked Here
I have spoken to numerous service people and they tell me it cannot be done.

Clv22p

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave
My parts from allmoparparts came in today. Less than a week from order to delivery for me.

They were actually faster than Amazon. I ordered the Bluetooth OBD reader and security gateway Sunday for next day and it still hasn’t showed up. :mad:

Hoping I can sneak away this weekend and get it installed.

Kevin_D

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S, 1971 J4000, a bunch of other stuff
Isn't this what they cost new at AllMoparParts? I'm interested...
AllMoparParts has raised their price since they first introduced the kit.
His asking price + shipping will be pretty close to AMP's price.

Kevin

Clv22p

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave
Installed mine today. Used JScan to reprogram. Everything works as intended.
Parts arrived in less than a week from @AllMoparParts.com

Jjhild

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator, 80th anniversary
rdere

is this still available? I’m interested.
Sponsored