Sponsored

Proximity door locks retrofit on Wrangler/Gladiator, someone figured it out (DIY writeup)

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Just checking before I order a kit. I have a 2021 sport s. This is the driver body side plug. The needed pins are the ones I put dots by, correct?

Side note... pulling on this too hard won't pop the plug from the body... it breaks the clip on the back of the plug. Time for some velcro. Two days old and I already broke something šŸ˜†šŸ¤£šŸ˜‚
20210513_145610.jpg
If that's all you broke............

Or, if it ain't broke, you're not trying........
Sponsored

BEERviper

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator SS eco Diesel
Occupation
Real Estate
Ooooooo I hope so!
Ordered mine April 15 and I just got the shipping notice on June 3 so they are definitely holding to that 45 day waiting period. Oh and the price is up $23 over what I ordered, not a huge price jump but it's something.

Erievon

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JTR., 2021 JLU Altitude
Occupation
International Banker
Ordered a set for the Wife's JL on May 19th, just got the email with shipping notification, yay!

I'm guessing they order them in cycles. I just happened to be mid to late in the cycle.

garzilla

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Software Engineer
Ordered mine April 15 and I just got the shipping notice on June 3 so they are definitely holding to that 45 day waiting period. Oh and the price is up $23 over what I ordered, not a huge price jump but it's something.
I got my shipping notice today also!!! It went into my promotion folder. Stupid Google. They'll be here Sunday!

Sponsored

iSED8

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 GMC Yukon
Occupation
Healthcare
One hour and what I would call 3/10 for difficulty. The body clips do require a good amount of force to dislodge. Other than that just follow the install video step by step. Thanks to JEEP RUMBLER on YouTube for the video. And thanks to allMoparparts.com for making an easy to order kit. So grateful to this forum and itā€™s members!

Erievon

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
International Banker
Thanks for the feedback. Mine just arrived this afternoon but my garage is about 90 degrees right now. It can wait for next weekend.

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21' Gladiator
Occupation
Masonry Trade instructor
If you order only the driver side kit, would all the doors unlock when used if you set up in settings? Or do you need driver and passenger side kit? Thanks.

Erievon

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
International Banker
They have confirmed on the JL thread you can install just one. In the radio settings you'd have to be set to "unlock all doors" on 1st press of the key fob.

Jjhild

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator, 80th anniversary
I received my kit about 1 week ago. Installation was extremely easy following the video on page 1 of this thread.

one important tipā€¦

if something isnā€™t working properly (lock button, side mirror adjustments, etc), check the main connectors for bent pins before ripping apart the door. I would have saved myself from taking the doors apart 3 times and an hour of troubleshooting.

I ended up with 3 bent pins on drivers side, and 1 bent pin on passenger side.
Everything works flawlessly now.

This is the same connector for removing doors.

Sponsored

Erievon

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
International Banker
There's also a bad run of caps going around. I installed the kit on the wife's JT this weekend. The swing gate worked fine, but neither door worked. I swiped the passenger side cap (prox came factory) from my JT to test it, soon as I installed that cap in either handle, that handle worked. Couple people from the JL forum have had this problem.

Kevin_D

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S, 1971 J4000, a bunch of other stuff
There's also a bad run of caps going around. I installed the kit on the wife's JT this weekend. The swing gate worked fine, but neither door worked. I swiped the passenger side cap (prox came factory) from my JT to test it, soon as I installed that cap in either handle, that handle worked. Couple people from the JL forum have had this problem.
Probably forgetting the magnet.

Kevin

Erievon

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
International Banker
That's exactly what it is. If you take a kitchen magnet and put it up against the door handle it works.

hekhl00

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S
Very new member and Gladiator owner here. Iā€™ve got a 2021 Sports S with Max Tow. I do NOT have wires in space 15 and 16 in the existing wiring coupler in the drivers side door. (As best I can tell the tow package has something to do with this as you canā€™t even build a sport with max tow and add proximity key)

Can someone please point me to directions for getting around this issue so I can add the aftermarket harness? Many thanks!!,

Redbear

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Very new member and Gladiator owner here. Iā€™ve got a 2021 Sports S with Max Tow. I do NOT have wires in space 15 and 16 in the existing wiring coupler in the drivers side door. (As best I can tell the tow package has something to do with this as you canā€™t even build a sport with max tow and add proximity key)

Can someone please point me to directions for getting around this issue so I can add the aftermarket harness? Many thanks!!,
I added it to my Sport S Max Tow. Had to swap out the door harness, but it plugged right in...works like a champ!
Sponsored