1996XJ

1996XJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Cherokee , 2021 JTMojave (punjabi), 22 gobiator
Occupation
Hot Dog proprietor
gonna fly out on the 8th. I thought it would take like 6 hours to fly there.... Nope its a 11 hr flight because of layovers!!! :( So Im losing a day to go play. I could only take 10 days total
How long is your drive home going to be?
Sponsored

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Having gotten advice from engine builders and engineers I'm amazed to say that the jeep break in procedure is just about the best advice I've seen in an owners manual.

Bottom line - moderate long term load broken up with brief full throttle bursts.

The motor is going to be tight, so you need to give things like bearings a chance to shed heat as everything seats.

But high combustion pressures are necessary to seat rings. This is where the brief full throttle bursts come in.

In a vehicle with modest power like the Gladiator, if you are on the highway going 65 and put it in manual then hold it in 8th gear and give it full throttle, the truck will accelerate slowly since it can't kick down a gear or three. But that full throttle will help to break in the engine.

After a few seconds let off and drive for a couple of minutes.

The key is to press the gas right until it kicks down but not before. Because even if its held in 8th it will down shift if you push it all the way to the floor. But you can feel for the kick down point and stop before then.

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm also picking up at Gupton. Its 1100 miles back to Boston. Though we may stop in Louisville and do a bourbon tour or two.

Jocww

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Website
thewongwindingroad.blogspot.com
Vehicle(s)
73 Fj40 lq9 on 38s 2021 JTRD Gecko Green on 37s
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Flight Instructor
How long is your drive home going to be?
I was hoping for 10 days, but most likely 8 days. My dad wants to come for a little part of the drive so I am still mapping it out. We want to go to Bowling Green and look at the vettes. I am seriously thinking about heading to the Atlantic either via NC or Mass/Virginia so I can say that I drove coast to coast. I have never done that before. I might head up north to do some MI and Wi National Parks and BOH, but that is still up in the air. Since I just started my new position last week I have no real time off so i was lucky to get 2 days off which I am taking on my short week so I can do the 8-18th. It only took me 11 days to do the entire r66 and back on 80 this spring. So I am thinking I can get home from the Atlantic coast in 8 or 9 days... I just wont be able to spend a bunch of time hitting the BOH or NPs I will have to only do the ones I really want to see or do. I do want to hit Moab, and Yellowstone, I can no longer obviously hit it for 5 days at each place like I originally planned/wanted to do.

OP
OP
1996XJ

1996XJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Cherokee , 2021 JTMojave (punjabi), 22 gobiator
Occupation
Hot Dog proprietor
I was hoping for 10 days, but most likely 8 days. My dad wants to come for a little part of the drive so I am still mapping it out. We want to go to Bowling Green and look at the vettes. I am seriously thinking about heading to the Atlantic either via NC or Mass/Virginia so I can say that I drove coast to coast. I have never done that before. I might head up north to do some MI and Wi National Parks and BOH, but that is still up in the air. Since I just started my new position last week I have no real time off so i was lucky to get 2 days off which I am taking on my short week so I can do the 8-18th. It only took me 11 days to do the entire r66 and back on 80 this spring. So I am thinking I can get home from the Atlantic coast in 8 or 9 days... I just wont be able to spend a bunch of time hitting the BOH or NPs I will have to only do the ones I really want to see or do. I do want to hit Moab, and Yellowstone, I can no longer obviously hit it for 5 days at each place like I originally planned/wanted to do.
Sounds like a fun time! Mine will just be literally driving straight home if i do it.

Sponsored

Jocww

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Website
thewongwindingroad.blogspot.com
Vehicle(s)
73 Fj40 lq9 on 38s 2021 JTRD Gecko Green on 37s
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Flight Instructor
Sounds like a fun time! Mine will just be literally driving straight home if i do it.
what day are you going? If your bringing the wife and leaving the pets you should make it an extra day or 2 to take in some sights... IMO anyway. Or maybe you could fly with your pets. My ex gf did that with her dog.

Delhux

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator - Overland - Gator
So you hit the freeway I take it but you just kept it in slow lane the whole way home? Or did you just take normal roads?
I drove from NC to DE, stopped overnight then went on to Boston.

Between NC and DE I drove probably about the first 10-miles on side roads, then kept it at a maximum of 55MPH on the highway.

On the second leg from DE to MA, I drove pretty normally—occasional overtaking, etc—but kept it fairly conservative overall. Again, mostly highway.

VolatileA

First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Website
bit.ly
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sting-Ray Gladiator Mojave
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Trader & Educator + A/V
Take it off road in a few medians on the way home and call it a day.

redrider

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1 truck 5 motorcycles
The best thing is to vary the rpm. Connecting rods stretch. Those folks that never exceeded 50% of max rpm were the ones that became oil burners once the engines were run up to max/redline after the "500 mile" break in. Modern materials and assembly have improved reliability. After 20 -30 miles, wring it's neck to redline with a touch of softness.

Sponsored

IamPro2A

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'95 YJ, '07 Ram, '16 JK, '21 Sport S Max Tow
I followed it almost to a T. Something like 65 miles of mostly secondary highways from dealer to my my house. Next day it was about the same to reach the interstate, and then 200 miles of slow lane highway to my work condo.

Mightytalldude

First Name
Rob aka MTD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GCM Sport S, 6spd manual, subtle mods.
Occupation
Retail Management Hell
Did it 2 years ago from Spirit Lake Iowa back to Denver with a stop at Mount Rushmore/Crazy Horse. Only thing I didn't do was use the cruise control, just varied my speed and went between 4th 5th & 6th gear to vary the engine speed, and that was way overkill IMO.

FloridaMan655321

First Name
Lieutenant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave, 1973 F-100 - both manual
Occupation
Lieutenant (not really)
I had my BMW delivered to the Spartanburg SC location and did their tour. I then drove to Asheville, stayed in some mountain cabin, then drove it back to FL. In any maps program you can have it avoid highways. Speed limits were 55, even if you used the cruise control it was only for 20 minutes or so before you needed to slow down to go through a town. It ended up being one of the best drives I've had. So much less stress than driving on Interstates. Was able to take a few cool pics that I wouldn't have had the chance to otherwise. https://1drv.ms/u/s!AuTB6VRum3l0-hpXH0IG-GjjXaVL?e=XQ805a (lawnmower guy was very drunk....)

So my suggestion, do the same, put the freedom tops in the back seat (separate with a towel as to not scratch the paint) and enjoy driving the back roads home. It will be a very nice relaxing drive. Don't rush it, if you need to stay somewhere in between, find a nice place out of the way.

TNJeeper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Nissan Xterra
For anyone who purchased their gladiator far from home. For instance those flew out to Gupton and drove it home. Ive heard its bad to drive a brand new car at highway speeds without breaking it in or seating the rings for a few weeks. I even seen a member on here, say they avoided the highway and drove side roads and streets all the the way home from the dealer for hours. Did you guys just say screw it and get on the freeway? Is it really all that bad for a brand new Gladiator? I was looking to have mine shipped to me but shippers are like a 6 week wait from when mine will be able to be picked up so im considering driving it back across the country. Thanks In advance.
I live in Nashville, TN and bought a Jeep from Koons Chrysler in Virginia. 657 miles one way. I flew there. Drove it back. Highway speeds. Cruise control. Kept the Jeep until 150k miles and then sold it. Never had any issues with it. I think the people who go on and on about break in and this and that....I won't say there is no truth to it, but I think it is over-hyped and think about the average consumer and automotive buyer that doesn't do this nor are the dealers or auto manufacturers who have to pocket warranty costs telling the consumers to do this.

Willys2Gladiator

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Vehicle Showcase
Dealers move vehicles from others. What do you think they do?

Drove mine 640 miles from purchasing dealer. Just alternated the RPM and didn't floor it. Been problem free.
Sponsored