Quality Issues

Mjolnir

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Willys, 2020 Gladiator
Had major issues with brand new vehicles before too.

- Chevy
- Ford
- Subaru
- BMW
- Jeep JK

Sorry but these things happen. I had no corrosion on my JK that wasn't caused by me. I really wouldn't get too frustrated over it. The axle seal leak is not widespread. There is a poll somewhere on this forum. Obviously it is a small sample size, but about 80% of people on this forum do not have the issue.

I get it, 20% is still nuts. With hundreds of thousands of Gladiators sold though, that number shrinks considerably.
Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Big problem with online polls, including, maybe even especially forum polls.
There's nothing scientific about them and the sample includes only people who are looking for those key words (such as "axle leak") or those who accidentally stumble on the poll and decide to respond.
If I don't have an axle leak, I won't be doing any searches for "axle leak" and likely would not see any such poll - so if I don't have a leak, I won't respond.
If I do have an axle leak, I'll be searching for those words to see if there's a solution or other information, I'll find the poll and respond.
So if it looks like 20% do have a leak - that's dead-wrong. Thousands who don't have an axle leak will never have found that thread, unless they happen to check out "recent threads" or "new threads" or are here frequently enough and are curious and end up seeing it.
Take that 20% down a whole lot.
Some are also lurkers and won't ever respond unless something impacts them or they believe they have something to say about it.
I administer a forum - of the thousands of members, only a fraction are active and of those, only a fraction of them will respond to posts or threads that are of direct interest to them.

You can't possibly use the internet in general or forums specifically to get any indication of the real/true scope of any given issue unless you temper it with psychology and few numbers to get to the reality.

And if you think buying a big dollar luxury car with the best engineering in the world will resolve your woes - think again. Ask the 1,000,000 Mercedes owners who face a recall for the sun roofs that fly off while you drive down the highway. One of my friends is a Mercedes tech in Germantown by DC - he's correct in that they have resolved issues other car makers scratch their heads over, and the Mercedes engineering and solutions are among the best in the world, he does have a job and all but guaranteed hours because they, too, have their problems.

Mjolnir

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Willys, 2020 Gladiator
Big problem with online polls, including, maybe even especially forum polls.
There's nothing scientific about them and the sample includes only people who are looking for those key words (such as "axle leak") or those who accidentally stumble on the poll and decide to respond.
If I don't have an axle leak, I won't be doing any searches for "axle leak" and likely would not see any such poll - so if I don't have a leak, I won't respond.
If I do have an axle leak, I'll be searching for those words to see if there's a solution or other information, I'll find the poll and respond.
So if it looks like 20% do have a leak - that's dead-wrong. Thousands who don't have an axle leak will never have found that thread, unless they happen to check out "recent threads" or "new threads" or are here frequently enough and are curious and end up seeing it.
Take that 20% down a whole lot.
Some are also lurkers and won't ever respond unless something impacts them or they believe they have something to say about it.
I administer a forum - of the thousands of members, only a fraction are active and of those, only a fraction of them will respond to posts or threads that are of direct interest to them.

You can't possibly use the internet in general or forums specifically to get any indication of the real/true scope of any given issue unless you temper it with psychology and few numbers to get to the reality.

And if you think buying a big dollar luxury car with the best engineering in the world will resolve your woes - think again. Ask the 1,000,000 Mercedes owners who face a recall for the sun roofs that fly off while you drive down the highway. One of my friends is a Mercedes tech in Germantown by DC - he's correct in that they have resolved issues other car makers scratch their heads over, and the Mercedes engineering and solutions are among the best in the world, he does have a job and all but guaranteed hours because they, too, have their problems.
I agree with the forum polls. Just stating in general.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I agree with the forum polls. Just stating in general.
Some of us get it - like you in all of these things - but sadly, too many see complaints and polls and believe it indicates huge problems for most owners.
We (you, I, some others) need to stress to those looking on the internet - use it as a guide to find what MAY be a problem, what are the possibilities, things to look for when buying used vehicles, but never take it that most owners are seeing or even will see these issues.
So far, mine has experienced the steering issue - dealer took care of me, loose saggy tonneau cover (dealer took care of me with help from JeepCares - apparently that's since been resolved on the whole as I don't see people talking about it any more), HVAC update (which ended up with a different problem but it's not presented itself again lately), and that's been it.
But based on the internet, I should have engine misfires, engine shaking, weird noises, leaks, things coming loose, inability to drive it at high speed, rear window leaks and more.

Trust me - I ain't that lucky! If bad things are going to happen, I'm the one they happen to.

OP
OP
Cripton805

Cripton805

First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Willys
Dropped off my truck at the dealer today. The service advisor seemed like a real nice guy and genuinely happy to talk to me in general. I was kind of surprised he didn't try to rush me out since I could only make it 30 mins before closing time. Took his time and was real excited about talking about Modified Jeeps they have worked on. Specifically gear and locker swaps. DV8 products they sell. The positive attitude really helps a shitty situation.

Crossing my fingers.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Cripton805

Cripton805

First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@ShadowsPapa I saw your thread on the auto / climate. My BMW used to do the same thing. It seemed like it would be colder or warmer depending on the ambient temp. Unreliable. I like the traditional old school dial like the base model.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
The weird part is that it worked perfectly the last two times I've driven it - but those were shorter drives so still unsure.............

OP
OP
Cripton805

Cripton805

First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The weird part is that it worked perfectly the last two times I've driven it - but those were shorter drives so still unsure.............
I think it's based on the climate. So if its colder out, it will come out hotter to attempt to match the desired temp quicker and vice versa for cooling. I eventually got used to it and used it accordingly. Still annoying.

OP
OP
Cripton805

Cripton805

First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Update.

Dropped off the truck last Tuesday. Late last week I was advised that they would replace the entire axle.

Advisor told me that the brakes had been contaminated in oil and they would be cleaned with brake cleaner.

I've never had gear oil on my brakes. I would imagine that they would need to be replaced. Anybody know if that is ok? I'm going to make sure they document that.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Update.

Dropped off the truck last Tuesday. Late last week I was advised that they would replace the entire axle.

Advisor told me that the brakes had been contaminated in oil and they would be cleaned with brake cleaner.

I've never had gear oil on my brakes. I would imagine that they would need to be replaced. Anybody know if that is ok? I'm going to make sure they document that.
Replace.
I'd only ever clean if the lube was barely on the lining - meaning hadn't been on long and was only on a small portion (like if grease gets on them while working on it and has no time to soak in). With a leaking seal, I doubt that's the case.
Brake cleaner isn't going to penetrate and get it all out. Once the material gets hot, I'd bet on more grease being released.
Since this is warranty and the damage was caused by the axle leak - I'd expect new brakes.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Cripton805

Cripton805

First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Replace.
I'd only ever clean if the lube was barely on the lining - meaning hadn't been on long and was only on a small portion (like if grease gets on them while working on it and has no time to soak in). With a leaking seal, I doubt that's the case.
Brake cleaner isn't going to penetrate and get it all out. Once the material gets hot, I'd bet on more grease being released.
Since this is warranty and the damage was caused by the axle leak - I'd expect new brakes.
I brought it up because I could smell a burnt oil smell occasionally. I'm going to bring it up when I pick up my truck. If they want that kind of liability. I'm going to make sure they document that. I'm sure it was completely covered in oil. It was so much oil, that the entire dust cover looked like it was a drain vs. a small leak.

Montana_Wildcat

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Ram Power Wagon
Occupation
#BBN #RaiderNation
I traded in a 2011 Nissan Titan that I had owned since new with ZERO issues. It had been the perfect truck, but it was going to need work soon. Nevertheless, it was an amazing truck. I researched the Gladiator up and down before making my decision. Every vehicle has issues here and there, but a couple of the things I heard gave me pause. I had always wanted a Wrangler, and now Gladiator, but didn't want to get a bag of problems. What I kept telling myself was that we always hear of the problems people have with vehicles, but we rarely ever hear of the hundreds of thousands of vehicles with NO issues whatsoever. Buying a vehicle is always a risk. I'm happy with my purchase and will take any issue that arises in stride. (Plus, I have the extended warranty)

OP
OP
Cripton805

Cripton805

First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I traded in a 2011 Nissan Titan that I had owned since new with ZERO issues. It had been the perfect truck, but it was going to need work soon. Nevertheless, it was an amazing truck. I researched the Gladiator up and down before making my decision. Every vehicle has issues here and there, but a couple of the things I heard gave me pause. I had always wanted a Wrangler, and now Gladiator, but didn't want to get a bag of problems. What I kept telling myself was that we always hear of the problems people have with vehicles, but we rarely ever hear of the hundreds of thousands of vehicles with NO issues whatsoever. Buying a vehicle is always a risk. I'm happy with my purchase and will take any issue that arises in stride. (Plus, I have the extended warranty)
Trust me. Even with the issues I've had. I love my Jeeps. I hate this Cherokee loaner though. lol

I just want my truck back.

OP
OP
Cripton805

Cripton805

First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Update:
I got the Jeep back. Entire axle replacement. The dealer seemed to do a good job. Service advisor insisted that the brakes were ok to be cleaned. I'm not going to fuss about it unless I run into issues.

Side Note:
Enterprise gave me a Jeep Cherokee loaner. It was a turd. Horrid engine power, suspension, and brakes. One of the worst vehicles I've driven. It stalled on me last night at a red light. I called Enterprise this morning to get it replaced with another loaner. Luckily the dealer called me to let me know my truck was ready. I went to drop off the Cherokee. About a 30 mile drive. I was able to gas up and stalled on me 3x. I was barely able to pull up to the Enterprise lot before it died one last time. I had already called them and told them I was having issues with the rental. The rep came out to the car and couldn't get it to start anymore. They gave me a ride back to the dealership because yet another Jeep left me stranded at their lot. Either I have the worst luck? My Coworker just quit and moved out to Tennessee from CA. Her Jeep Grand Cherokee died on the way there. I think it's an issue with the start stop system. Anyway, she's considering getting rid of it and I returned the rental. Too bad it didn't die before I put gas in it.

jeepmojo

First Name
joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gladiator
Occupation
electrician
So new to this forum just bought gladiator sport loaded up with options but sport pay cash deal and drive away so at hotel and 200 miles I’m looking at all my lights and condensation in all including my directionals on fenders call the jeep dealer sure bring it buy we will look at it ! They claim to order all new lights seeing the problem I’m ok with a issue they were going to take care of. then I leave next morning I’m looking underneath to see what the underside looks like and wet on wheel , touch and a wiff and it’s gear oil leaking call them tell them they say bring it in we’d. i going have my little military trailer attached no where to leave it so they say we’ll bring it by tomorrow we will take the trailer off no prob . Can be done and moved by hand less than 400 pounds . They pull it in the shop with trailer on still and I’m waiting and I mentioned I just read some are having issues with this on line : they claim nope first we’ve heard lol yeh ok well I say ok well I now had it back at 200 miles for lights and 400 miles for axle leak would you just document this for me Heard the response —- Om not here to accommodate your every Fn need no I won’t you want that take it where you want but get it the F out of my Fn shop / opens the door from his office and yells to his workers — Someone get this fn truck the f out of my fn shop now . I know this dealer has had a poor review pattern but this was absolute disgrace to costumer that just dropped 47 grand to them 2 days before never looked at it they backed it out and I got on it and drove away calling jeep and bringing it to another dealer in newhampshire . Next dealer was very understanding of what I had asked for from the dealer I bought it from had no issue logging things in. Course now parts have to be re ordered after the actually see it in by appointment in a few days SInce that day I also discovered other issues as well
Things I’m reading about that others also have experienced im not new To jeep world.Sport 2 door to a rubicon 2 door I had for over 10 years I know jeeps fairly well But I just gave up my2012 rubiconand dropped a lot of money to be treated like dirt from some ignorant dealership service manager that doesn’t know much about anything to be quite honest this sets a bad tone to start out with a new jeep truck Not even a day to actually look and admire it, in a sense Jeeps gonna have to satisfiy me on this one or. It will. Be traded and or last jeep product in my possession

5BADF613-8174-473A-8C54-067C86D18E09.jpeg
Sponsored