First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT HA, 22 Volvo V60 CC, 76 Fiat 124,
Occupation
Heavy equipment operator
Never owned, a Suzuki (bike or otherwise)
I expect a 40 year old car with over 100,000 miles (193,000 for my SX4)
Well I assumed a SX4 was a Suzuki, which were a bit of a wrenches dream. My bad.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Cripton805

Cripton805

First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Willys
I went to the Jeep page and found this. lol

I wonder how these awards work. They're so new to even have an award yet.

Screenshot_20211023-072657.jpg

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Well I assumed a SX4 was a Suzuki, which were a bit of a wrenches dream. My bad.
It's ironic that mother MOPAR goes after individuals who reproduce small parts with the AMC logo and name on them for using a name MOPAR owns - and yet they let major companies use the SX4, Rogue and other trade names - also owned by MOPAR and used by AMC for years. Why prosecute or threaten a simple individual guy for making decals and battery covers with "AMC" on them and still allow corporations to use names on vehicles?

Rogue was a Rambler American special edition. Yet I think it was NISSAN that used the name in later years ->

Jeep Gladiator Quality Issues one-of-921-built-1967-rambler-rogue-convertible-85k-mi-1

This is the original SX4 - an Eagle SX4 - this one is mine.
Theories on the name include Spirit x4 and "Spirit Xperimental 4" and other things - could have simply been pulled out of the air, too. Made for only 3 years.

Jeep Gladiator Quality Issues sx4-at-amo-2

Jeep Gladiator Quality Issues sx4-at-amo-4

Josh00333

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Freedom
Build Thread
Link
Fact is the JT is one of the best new trucks there is, and it's got the best quality. We can all bitch and echo chamber "all" the issues. But they are good rigs. Stuff breaks, it is what it is, and ya there are no loaners, any where. Again 1st world problems and amazon next day delivery expectations are out of place. ;)

Like bitching at the service girl who is running a dining room alone because they are short staffed and your water took 5 minuets to get. Sit back, relax tip her well and slow done a little. :idea:

My company 2019 Cherokee is a pos, but not my car, and at least starts.

My 98 jeep was perfect.
2000 Vett had an abs controller go out at 6k miles.
2002 Dmax had a transmission position sensor go out at 80k miles, no other non service stuff.
2008 Subie had ac issues after 125k miles but really it was wear stuff.
2021 JT perfect so far.

:angel:

Drew18337

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Jeep Gladiator, 22 Mitsubishi Outlander
Occupation
Freight Train Conductor
I had a 2013 jk. That went through 2 transmissions and 2 starters before 80000 miles. I have a 21 gladiator the I’ve only been able to put about 60 miles on because it’s been back at the dealership getting repaired since the days I purchased it. I would say they are way past “quality issues” and they have moved into “junk”. Interestingly enough my 2015 Durango V6 had 140,000 trouble free miles. Ran like a champ all the way to to the day I traded it in for my Junk Gladiator which the dealer still has

Sponsored

sharpsicle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland, 2002 VTX1800
"Quality issues" take the whole population into consideration, not just the "squeaky wheels". Asking in the Issues section on a forum if people have experienced quality issues is like walking into a hospital and asking if anyone there is sick. No duh.

I don't mean to belittle anyone's issues, but individual experiences are hardly an indicator of a brand's overall quality. To suggest otherwise is to argue against the numbers. How many have had no issues? You don't hear from them as often....

OP
OP
Cripton805

Cripton805

First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
quality issues is like walking into a hospital and asking if anyone there is sick.

How many have had no issues? You don't hear from them as often....
I am basing this off of my own experience. From two brand new vehicles I bought off the lot.

2 out of 2 is not a good ratio. Especially both with issues within a combined 20k miles.

All of the issues within the first year of ownership on both. Corrosion really spreading rapidly after the first year on the Wrangler.

I'm not talking a clip, easy gasket, sensor, etc... Which are not as labor intensive.

These are all moderate to serious issues. Far more expensive to fix and some dangerous.

sharpsicle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I can understand the Wrangler issue, but the axle seal is not a Jeep thing, it's a Dana thing. It affects all vehicles that have it, not just Jeep. Seems pretty unfair to blame Jeep for it.

That's like blaming all the car manufacturers for the defective Takata air bags fiasco.

ScottBeach

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator sport s
Occupation
Engineer
2020 JT 12.4 k miles so far. Zero issues
Really expected some steering issues by now given frequent high speed sand running. But all good so far

OP
OP
Cripton805

Cripton805

First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I can understand the Wrangler issue, but the axle seal is not a Jeep thing, it's a Dana thing. It affects all vehicles that have it, not just Jeep. Seems pretty unfair to blame Jeep for it.
Most companies use third parties to manufacture parts. If there is an issue with any parts. It is up to Jeep to correct it.

For example. The paint issue has been around since the JK. The steering box should be a recall. Not a TSB. IMO

My Gladiators steering is far better. My mom and I got in a fight on our way back from a Cabin trip. She thought I was driving poorly. It was the Jeeps steering. My Ex refused to drive the Wrangler because she was scared to drive it. On top of the poor choice of gearing on the Sport. (Too slow for merging on CA Highways)

I have avoided any modifications or going offroad in the Gladiator. To test it's reliability before I invest into it and lose money.

I also consider myself pretty passive on being critical on cars. Since I can fix a lot of the minor to moderate problems myself. I would feel for those that have one car and get denied a rental / loaner due to defects.

This of course is my opinion.
Unless we voice our concerns. They won't be concerned until it starts to hurt their wallets to fix them, sales, and reputation.

Sponsored

sharpsicle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
As far as I know, Jeep is fixing the axle seal issues. Unfortunately it requires replacement of the axle, but that's out of their hands as well. Not sure what else they could do on that one honestly. Definitely doesn't mean that Jeep is a poor quality vehicle.

Trickster

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Heavy equipment operator
It's ironic that mother MOPAR goes after individuals who reproduce small parts with the AMC logo and name on them for using a name MOPAR owns - and yet they let major companies use the SX4, Rogue and other trade names - also owned by MOPAR and used by AMC for years. Why prosecute or threaten a simple individual guy for making decals and battery covers with "AMC" on them and still allow corporations to use names on vehicles?

Rogue was a Rambler American special edition. Yet I think it was NISSAN that used the name in later years ->

This is the original SX4 - an Eagle SX4 - this one is mine.
Theories on the name include Spirit x4 and "Spirit Xperimental 4" and other things - could have simply been pulled out of the air, too. Made for only 3 years.

D701B58F-872D-49CB-BCDB-0720F2690CC8.png

Trickster

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Heavy equipment operator
That’s what I had envisioned, the Suzuki SX4. Then I thought why would you want an old thing like that? Lol.
Yours is a classic that look better than new. Congrats.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Most companies use third parties to manufacture parts. If there is an issue with any parts. It is up to Jeep to correct it.
Would love to know how that works........ it's not as simple as you may or appear to believe. Especially since it's not a Jeep design, but a design Jeep is buying.

That's like saying if there was a problem with the Kelsey Hayes brakes used by GM or MOPAR, it's up to GM or MOPAR to fix or correct it.
They are buying systems engineered, designed, and manufactured by another company. There is a lot involved even if Jeep made the parts themselves. There's version control, and more. They can't just make a change and apply it. And if this design is used by other companies............ it's even more complex.

Dana also is likely manufacturing the axle/differential assemblies at a rate planned on months ago, with a certain number of components to be made as replacement parts. When an issue is found, suddenly they have to make changes in the rate of production. Jeep can look at the issue, work to help find the root cause, but it's not up to Jeep to fix it, and today more than ever, they can't simply say "we need 40,000 additional axle assemblies by next month". Ain't gonna happen that quick.

Look at the air bag situation - and some vehicle owners were told it would likely be a year, even two, before their vehicle could come in for the recall repair.
Imagine you are driving around in a GM pickup with a deadly air bag and being told it could be a year or more before it can be fixed.

OP
OP
Cripton805

Cripton805

First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Would love to know how that works........ it's not as simple as you may or appear to believe. Especially since it's not a Jeep design, but a design Jeep is buying.
I think you misunderstood what I meant. It's up to Jeep to make me whole. It's not on Dana. I can't just hit up Dana. I would go to Jeep and then they would figure it out. Regardless of the process. I know it is not easy to figure out, but if this continues to be a problem after 3 years and after the warranty. I would have more of an issue with it. An axle swap and labor is not cheap. +I would consider this to be a more serious issue than people make it out to be. For a few hundred miles I've been smelling something. I couldn't figure it out as it would come and go. No engine leaks, etc... Now I believe that the oil may have contaminated my brakes / rotor. It's a good considerable amount of oil. It's not a small seeping leak. It's a draining leak. I haven't been offroad at all and most of my miles were long distance highway. Now, what if I was towing, it set fire, or affected my braking? By the looks of it. It seems a lot of people are having the same issue. I don't know that statistics of it or when they announce TSBs or Recalls.

Now, my safety / passengers has been compromised on two Jeeps. Not one. Whether it's Dana or Jeeps fault. It doesn't matter.

I agree, the airbag recall was unfortunate. Luckily, it is a recall and people were informed.
Sponsored