Sponsored

Reaching out to those doing their own shock tuning?

OP
OP
CrazyCooter

CrazyCooter

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.overlandvehicledynamics.com
Vehicle(s)
1991 JEEP YJ, 2021 JTR Ecodiesel
Occupation
Specialty Off Road Shop Owner
You are one step ahead, i was thinking about pulling mine apart since they have little value on the resale side and see what makes them tick.

That looks like a blank canvas full of possibilities.

Is that black dot up at the head above the silver strip the nitrogen fill hole? That was the biggest worry i had was how to get nitrogen back into them.

Did you measure the amount of oil that came out?
LOL.....nitrogen fill......It was a nitrogen "drain" that I drilled. This was one of the shorter front shocks that I figured I could sacrifice to the shock gods in order to find where I could/should drill the hole to add a schraeder or needle valve. I figure a person that would level their truck only would like to use 4 rear shocks for the 26" length?

The bearing head nut was red locktited in so had to almost destroy it to get it apart. Would need to find a product to soften the locktite and maybe a little heat would do the job better text time. The shaft nut was not peened over, so it looks like standard .504" fox shims would be used. The IFP is plastic and the piston wear ring does not look replaceable like my 2.5's.

I did not measure the oil because it's not all that important. The big thing would be the IFP depth, but didn't measure because I had jacked around with it enough that I couldn't trust that it was in the correct location when I disassembled.
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
CrazyCooter

CrazyCooter

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
(Edited a few times to add some more benefits)

An update on the SDi E-Clik shocks......

I tried them on my truck and they did not play well (My opinion) with the vehicle's weight combined with the heavy springs.....This was expected since they indicated extensive testing had not been done on the diesel models with springs this heavy. They wanted me to test the production offering first and then provide feedback based on what I experienced. I have swapped my Fox's back on since I have an overlanding type trip weekend with some super twisty roads

I did however install a set on a client's Rubi gas JT which is currently equipped with OE rear springs, 3/4" spacers, OEM Diesel front springs, 1.75" spacer, and longer front sway bar links and I think it worked well with my limited testing.......I joked with him about being on my way our to the jump spot during the roadtest. :) Of course if I was driving it for 1000's of miles, I have my own tweaks that I would probably add in.

The ride was adjustable from overly soft or pretty firm on the pavement, but zero notable body roll or brake dive especially after dialing in the setting in the pro menu to my liking. Settings in the pro menu like pitch, roll, turn sensitivity, brake dive, payload, and throttle anti-squat (some of those are my dumbed down terms) allow for aggressive driving and collision avoidance maneuvers without sacrificing strait line ride quality. Pretty cool setup overall.........

I'm currently working with SDi on a custom calibration that will work well for those of us owning the diesel platform, heavy springs, and max GVWR numbers. There is talk about sending my Fox shocks to them to dyno so that we can duplicate the damping curve that I have created without it taking months of testing and 20 shock R&R's to get back to where I'm at right now combined with their advanced electronics for in cab and live adjustments. I have provided my Fox valving recipe to them and currently waiting for parts to swap into the SDi shocks themselves, so I'll have something close to drive around on while my Fox's are en route to/from them for the dyno testing.

The wiring harness and hardware is super nice, looks to be OE level, or better quality. I provided my feedback after installing 2 kits.......1) Better/updated instructions/videos as there have been upgrades in the shifter knob since the first introduction and 2) They could provide a few more zip ties (10) for those doing the install at home and may not have any laying around like I do at the shop. I'd say that's a pretty short list? One other consideration is the system....I suspect it's data hungry. My OBD Fusion app had a hard time competing with the E-Clik cable plugged into the OBD2 port....... I'm not sure if I can live with that or not at this point.......Have to make a choice.

They list 3.25" BS on the wheels as a maximum and this I think would hold true for a narrow track JL/JT. On My Rubi, I run a 4.75" BS 17x8.5 wheel with a 38x12.50 tire and it's real close at full twist and lock! The gas Rubi is running a 5.78BS 17x8.5 with a 35x12.50 tire and I had to shim his steering stops a bit. That said I would say for best results, plan on at least 4.75" BS or less depending on the sidewall of your selected tire and wheel width. Example:All things like tiure width being equal, a 1" wider wheel should be able to run .5" less offset.......17X9 wheel with 5" offset should be just like my truck.

Pic for illustration of my clearance.

I made a few more tweaks this weekend on the Fox tune and I think it's done! Just in time for the next challenge huh?

Jeep Gladiator Reaching out to those doing their own shock tuning? 20221012_125505

Last edited:

PackMule

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 SingGray JTRD, 2012 Dozer JK, 2014 GC
Occupation
InfoTech Retired
I'm hanging on to my Fox's for now.....Just ordered the last of the shims I needed to complete the fine tuning before making the full swap. I might even be able to ditch my air bumps too......
Was this last shim order because you are going to 38's, or some other reason? Sounded like after your post #214 you had it dialed in pretty good with 37's.

Mind sharing your final 37" stack, as that is probaby what I'd target in mine, as I'm pretty close to yours in total weight and springs, as well as similar usage. I have the 2.5 Clayton diesel springs, 37's, ... only difference is I have a Smartcap for 180lb additional static weight, but no winch or steel bumper (yet).

OP
OP
CrazyCooter

CrazyCooter

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Was this last shim order because you are going to 38's, or some other reason? Sounded like after your post #214 you had it dialed in pretty good with 37's.

Mind sharing your final 37" stack, as that is probaby what I'd target in mine, as I'm pretty close to yours in total weight and springs, as well as similar usage. I have the 2.5 Clayton diesel springs, 37's, ... only difference is I have a Smartcap for 180lb additional static weight, but no winch or steel bumper (yet).
I was referring to making the final changes to the Fox shocks before I swapped permanently to the SDi E-Clik shocks. I have Fox's "now discontiued" shim kit, but it was just enough to get me started......I had to add a lot more weird less common sizes and bleed shims the farther I got into this and wanted a certain result.

I wanted that tune to be ready for those who have the same setup. I had to soften up the fronts a little so that the clickers would be more in the center position allowing the end user to have some adjustment either way for their liking. The 38's seemed to soften the low speed damping while at the same time making the high speed more harsh. When swapping my 35's on it for the week while I was painting wheels/mounting the 38's.....I felt the 35's had the opposite effect, so I wasn't imagining things.

As it turned out, I Installed the SDi's but they didn't play well with my truck's weight and the heavy Clayton springs as delivered, so I had to swap my Fox's back on the truck for the trip until I can get the info and parts for SDi's to get it how I like. We sort of expected this outcome and would need some adjustments.

Yes, I feel this tune would serve you perfect since the rears are valved to run with the standard Clayton springs w/ airbags installed from the unloaded state (no clicks) all the way to to 600lb plus a 700lb hitch weight travel trailer in tow (low speed clicker full tight). As of right now, I can't give any of my shock tuning info up..........I've got way too much time, expense into this, and have obligations to others riding on this work.

I also signed on as a dealer for Clayton Offroad products this week since I believe in their products for the type of vehicle use and roads we have in our area. I got a complete Overland Plus system w/ HD rear springs on order which will require yet another round of tuning for the rear shocks as the HD springs are 10% firmer than the standard springs. So many of the other manufacturers are just selling us the same ol' left over stuff from JK's and it was working "OK" for most till people started "overloading" with the diesel JT's that already had a spring rate/shock valving issue out of the box. Thankful they stepped up for us!

Last edited:
OP
OP
CrazyCooter

CrazyCooter

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I've reached out the forum management about site sponsorship and at this point, its not going to cover the expense if everyone wants my recipe for free. If anyone thinks I have a product or service that fits your situation, reach out to me.......As soon as I see support from the members, I can justify sponsoring the site........ I just have to see some kind of ROI or its just a charity right?

I'd also like to add that I've really tried to walk that thin line between letting people know that I'm in the business while also not pimping my stuff out with stepping up as a site sponsor. I'm sure the mods will let me know if I've stepped over the line here........

While I didn't start this thread with the intentions of getting into the suspension tuning business......I just wanted something I could not find available anywhere, so I jumped in to create a solution. @Glamisfan was gracious enough to offer up enough info to get me started down this road........which I'm not sure if this is a curse or a blessing! ;) Lots of nights lying awake trying to figure out my next moves in order to accomplish getting rid of that little nagging quirk under certain road conditions. My phone probably feels like my therapist talking to it as I'm hauling ass down some desert road taking notes about what my suspension is doing so I can analyze that thought/feeling later.

Sponsored

OP
OP
CrazyCooter

CrazyCooter

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
This weekend's project while it was raining. Clayton Overland Plus 3.5" w/ HD rear springs. Not terribly technical, but part of the suspension progression.

I noted a serious improvement in the ride quality over the small chop? Probably from the front geometry correction drop brackets? Rear shocks are a tad short, but will gain another 2'3" droop out back w/ the SDi's.
Jeep Gladiator Reaching out to those doing their own shock tuning? 20221106_144058
Jeep Gladiator Reaching out to those doing their own shock tuning? 20221106_132828
Jeep Gladiator Reaching out to those doing their own shock tuning? 20221106_120855
Jeep Gladiator Reaching out to those doing their own shock tuning? 20221106_132737
Jeep Gladiator Reaching out to those doing their own shock tuning? 20221106_120850
Jeep Gladiator Reaching out to those doing their own shock tuning? 20221105_154932

Escape.idiocracy

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jt
Occupation
Hitchhiker
My guess its that you have a gas truck? I would recommend calling Fox and providing feedback........They told me they had not gotten any feedback either way. They will never make a change if they don't get feedback right? 3k retail for these things, so they should perform decent out of the box in my opinion.

My front clickers were 100% turned in and I was still bouncing off my air bumps at low speeds especially with the tires aired down. I also felt they needed more rebound damping on the street which will probably get worse when I install firmer springs.......Any air in the bags it's much worse.

The front is much better after this tune I installed last week, but I'll be making changes to the rear again. Hard since I don't want to make more than one change to each circuit at a time with my inexperience.

I'm not the guy who want to pound the whoops at 80mph, just need a good street driver than can make 700 mile weekends of lighter overland desert driving a better experience than stock.
3k retail? Can you provide a link???

OP
OP
CrazyCooter

CrazyCooter

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
3k retail? Can you provide a link???
Huh? They are $1450 Rear/1500 Front pair everywhere? Did you come here to troll or did I misunderstand the question?

Escape.idiocracy

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jt
Occupation
Hitchhiker
Huh? They are $1450 Rear/1500 Front pair everywhere? Did you come here to troll or did I misunderstand the question?
Take it easy big guy… it was a ligit question. When I posted for some reason I thought they were $2k+ a pair… my memory serves fox 3.0’s @ $4700.00…

ill try to do better in the future….

OP
OP
CrazyCooter

CrazyCooter

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Take it easy big guy… it was a ligit question. When I posted for some reason I thought they were $2k+ a pair… my memory serves fox 3.0’s @ $4700.00…

ill try to do better in the future….
OK cool....

I have the 2.5's and they are $2950 for a set. 3.0's are more money........SO GLAD the guy at Fox talked me out of those or I'd be even more pissed about the poor performance?

Sponsored

OP
OP
CrazyCooter

CrazyCooter

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
LIttle project I've been working on the past couple of weeks. Figured I should put something together to improve cleanliness and efficiency if we're going to be servicing shocks more regularly?

Was lucky enough to have the brake lathe table and tool chest to re-purpose. 2 vises mounted side by side can hold a body in one for teardown/assembly and shaft in the other. Had the single bottle mount left over from when I added the spool gun to the Miller years back.....
Jeep Gladiator Reaching out to those doing their own shock tuning? 20221117_150642

Jeep Gladiator Reaching out to those doing their own shock tuning? 20221117_150014

Last edited:

rharr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JTRD 3" RKK lift, (former) 95 XJ 5sp 8" lift
LIttle project I've been working on the past couple of weeks. Figured I should put something together to improve cleanliness and efficiency if we're going to be servicing shocks more regularly?

Was lucky enough to have the brake lathe table and tool chest to re-purpose. 2 vises mounted side by side can hold a body in one for teardown/assembly and shaft in the other. Had the single bottle mount left over from when I added the spool gun to the Miller years back.....

View attachment 283514
Jeep Gladiator Reaching out to those doing their own shock tuning? 20221117_150014
Perfect setup!

Just need a old kitchen sink plumbed to a bucket to dump out the oil.

OP
OP
CrazyCooter

CrazyCooter

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Perfect setup!

Just need a old kitchen sink plumbed to a bucket to dump out the oil.
I was thinking about having the sheet metal shop across the way bend me a drip pan for under the vises too. So far I haven't had many shocks apart that needed a full oil change/rebuild so I guess the large pan had not entered my mind yet.

I suppose if the demand increases enough, I'd have to dedicate a corner of the shop to a more elaborate setup.

ajkaz

First Name
Arun
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JTRD
I was thinking about having the sheet metal shop across the way bend me a drip pan for under the vises too. So far I haven't had many shocks apart that needed a full oil change/rebuild so I guess the large pan had not entered my mind yet.

I suppose if the demand increases enough, I'd have to dedicate a corner of the shop to a more elaborate setup.
Did you get your SDi’s installed? Curious what you think of them straight out of the box. I was hoping for a softer initial rate, they are firmer than I wanted at Zero. Maybe a revavle is in my future. I’m adding the Metal Cloak outboard lower mounts to
Move them out and up 1.5”, the factory diesel bumps won’t allow me full compression. I should have 1/4” left at full
Bump now.

OP
OP
CrazyCooter

CrazyCooter

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Did you get your SDi’s installed? Curious what you think of them straight out of the box. I was hoping for a softer initial rate, they are firmer than I wanted at Zero. Maybe a revavle is in my future. I’m adding the Metal Cloak outboard lower mounts to
Move them out and up 1.5”, the factory diesel bumps won’t allow me full compression. I should have 1/4” left at full
Bump now.
Top secret squirrel sheeiit....... :)

Yes I got them revalved and installed yesterday with the tune and pistons they sent. Noticed a little improvement, but not nearly enough to cover the vehicle's weight and spring rate. SDi was generous to also send me an assortment of shims, seals, and misc parts so that I could get "creative"....... WHAT COMPANY IN THE INDUSTRY DOES THIS ANYMORE? The wait has been tough for me because I'm so high strung and wanted to just get this done, but worth waiting for. I know the schedule of trade shows spring, summer, and fall has them running nonstop.

Last night I did a little machine work on the spare pistons and wrote a new tune.......I really need more shims because I literally ran out of shock shaft having to use so many thin shims to get the results I was looking for.

For the first try on a new to me shock platform, I'm REALLY happy with how it came out. It took me probably 18 revisions to get to the point with the Fox's, so my learning curve has been super steep! During my outings, I dictate notes to my phone as I feel quirks that I do or do not like in the way the truck feels under certain conditions. Then I can come home and go to work on ironing those out.

The next post will be a couple of clips on the same roller where I was playing with the flutters on the Fox shocks. This time I tried it uphill at higher speed just to see how it handled landing on the uphill side of the dip.......
Sponsored

Last edited: