Sponsored

Reaching out to those doing their own shock tuning?

OP
OP
CrazyCooter

CrazyCooter

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.overlandvehicledynamics.com
Vehicle(s)
1991 JEEP YJ, 2021 JTR Ecodiesel
Occupation
Specialty Off Road Shop Owner
I have not pulled the trigger on the SDIs yet because I'm already invested into the Foxs and I'm pretty happy with how I have them tuned. Pretty sure from what others have posted, you probably wouldn't be happy with Fox out of the box or Accutune?

I might go SDI if I have not already gone down this road and was needing an immediate solution, but I can't give you any personal feedback yet.

The guy on the forum that has them doesn't seem to drive his rig all that much and doesn't seem super technical, so couldn't really get any usable feedback from what he posted.
Sponsored

Knox

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 gladiator rubicon
Occupation
Engineer
Jeep Gladiator Reaching out to those doing their own shock tuning? 04E49DDC-D749-46FD-838C-02F557E8A48E

I successfully changed the rebound damping in my rear shocks after receiving them back from Accutune. My new rebound valving made a huge difference, but it could possibly use more damping. There’s also a rebound free bleed shim on the compression stack; and I left it there. Clearly they’re not tuning these for trucks with heavy springs. I’m not sure I need a rebound flutter shim and/or free bleed shim. And I’m not sure why after I told them that I think there’s not enough rebound damping, and I tell them my corner weight, they equip them with such light valving, and didn’t want to change it up when I told them it needs more. Oh well. I’ll try it for a few weeks before going back in. Maybe it will be fine now.

Last edited:
OP
OP
CrazyCooter

CrazyCooter

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
We just got back home from a 3200 mile dual sport trip but in mountain terrain this time!

Now that the sand/desert terrain feels pretty dialed in, the high speed damping firmness that showed itself in the rocky backroads needs to be addressed!

Also jumping up to 38s, so hoping that doesn't change much.......

Sponsored

OP
OP
CrazyCooter

CrazyCooter

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
into the deep end! This will be a fun next phase.
I'm hanging on to my Fox's for now.....Just ordered the last of the shims I needed to complete the fine tuning before making the full swap. I might even be able to ditch my air bumps too......

I really think these SDI's will just be extra icing on the cake! I decided to Go E-Clik Pro for "The Full Monty" instead of the universal retrofit to my Fox's since the Pro kit uses data from the OBD2 port and uses it to react before the chassis has a chance to get out of shape...........

OP
OP
CrazyCooter

CrazyCooter

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
@ajkaz (Didn't want to clog up your thread about the trans leak) and anyone else looking to install the SDI E-Clik shocks........Clearance is at a premium with the piggyback resi's!

This pic is with 17x8.5 Method 313's 4.75BS and 38x12.50 Nitto Ridge Grapplers. SDI recommends 3.25" BS for JT/JL's in the specs, but spec is likely for a narrow axle "Non Rubi, Mojave, or Max Tow". She is tight and I might have to adjust steering stops and give up a couple of degrees of turning radius. The left coil just kisses the frame rail, so I may also shorten the track bar 1/8-3/16" and will allow that much more clearance.

I'll be installing another set of E-Cliks for a client with Method 703's with 5.75BS on 35x12.50 Ridge Grapplers. Not sure if the shorter tire will allow more clearance moving the bulge closer to the centerline or if I will have to back out his steering stops as well.

Jeep Gladiator Reaching out to those doing their own shock tuning? 20221012_125501

ajkaz

First Name
Arun
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JTRD
@ajkaz (Didn't want to clog up your thread about the trans leak) and anyone else looking to install the SDI E-Clik shocks........Clearance is at a premium with the piggyback resi's!

This pic is with 17x8.5 Method 313's 4.75BS and 38x12.50 Nitto Ridge Grapplers. SDI recommends 3.25" BS for JT/JL's in the specs, but spec is likely for a narrow axle "Non Rubi, Mojave, or Max Tow". She is tight and I might have to adjust steering stops and give up a couple of degrees of turning radius. The left coil just kisses the frame rail, so I may also shorten the track bar 1/8-3/16" and will allow that much more clearance.

I'll be installing another set of E-Cliks for a client with Method 703's with 5.75BS on 35x12.50 Ridge Grapplers. Not sure if the shorter tire will allow more clearance moving the bulge closer to the centerline or if I will have to back out his steering stops as well.

Jeep Gladiator Reaching out to those doing their own shock tuning? 20221012_125501
This is good info thanks! I am currently running Kenda Klever 35 x 10.5's on the factory 17's. I get rubbing on the reservoir on both sides at full lock. Added 1/4" to the steering stops on both sides and it barely kisses now, just enough to ruin the stickers.

I am going to run a 1.75" wheel spacer up front and likely add the metal cloak outboard lower shock mounts. Hoping to find a sweet spot between getting that turning radius back and moving the shock body out a little without hitting. Its great running the narrow tires, the clearance is awesome and the on road ride is fantastic.

OP
OP
CrazyCooter

CrazyCooter

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
This is good info thanks! I am currently running Kenda Klever 35 x 10.5's on the factory 17's. I get rubbing on the reservoir on both sides at full lock. Added 1/4" to the steering stops on both sides and it barely kisses now, just enough to ruin the stickers.

I am going to run a 1.75" wheel spacer up front and likely add the metal cloak outboard lower shock mounts. Hoping to find a sweet spot between getting that turning radius back and moving the shock body out a little without hitting. Its great running the narrow tires, the clearance is awesome and the on road ride is fantastic.
What is the stock wheel width and BS? 17x8 5.75?

Sponsored

OP
OP
CrazyCooter

CrazyCooter

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
17x7.5, 6.25" BS on Rubicon wheels, if my notes are correct. Don't know if there are variations between different trim wheel BS though...
Ya, that's going to be a clearance issue with the SDI's. That 10.50 wide tire @ajkaz has helping though.

jsalbre

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 Sarge Mojave, ‘21 VW Tiguan SEL-P RLine
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Security Engineer, First Sergeant
17x7.5, 6.25" BS on Rubicon wheels, if my notes are correct. Don't know if there are variations between different trim wheel BS though...
It’s not much, but Mojave wheels would give 1/4” more clearance than Rubicon wheels.

OP
OP
CrazyCooter

CrazyCooter

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I'm just going to leave this pic here and let some ponder on the possibilities for those who don't want a lift kit........Hmmmmm

Jeep Gladiator Reaching out to those doing their own shock tuning? 20221018_093418

rharr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JTRD 3" RKK lift, (former) 95 XJ 5sp 8" lift
You are one step ahead, i was thinking about pulling mine apart since they have little value on the resale side and see what makes them tick.

That looks like a blank canvas full of possibilities.

Is that black dot up at the head above the silver strip the nitrogen fill hole? That was the biggest worry i had was how to get nitrogen back into them.

Did you measure the amount of oil that came out?
Sponsored