Sponsored

Reaching out to those doing their own shock tuning?

OP
OP
CrazyCooter

CrazyCooter

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.overlandvehicledynamics.com
Vehicle(s)
1991 JEEP YJ, 2021 JTR Ecodiesel
Occupation
Specialty Off Road Shop Owner
Ads racing shocks and sdi suspension are a few options if the big guys suck.
I was on the phone with SDI for 2+ hours yesterday and thinking we will be working with them in the near future. Both reps I talked to were friendly, informed, and sounded very passionate about the product......something you just don't get with the "phone answerers" when you call the big guys.

I'm a little apprehensive about the electronics and more potential failure points, but overall it looks like a great package. At first I was thinking about the universal add on kit since I've already done the tuning, but the plus side of going with the entire E-Clik Pro system is the real time data acquisition like steering angle, brake pressure, and throttle position from the Jeep's OBD port that allows dynamic changes BEFORE the chassis even has time to react makes me want to go that route.

I serious mixed feeling about bbailing on the current Fox project as it's right on the verge of being dialed in to my preferences, but can't help to think what else the E-Clik could provide me in comfort and safety.....not to mention the cost!
Sponsored

Knox

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 gladiator rubicon
Occupation
Engineer
I was on the phone with SDI for 2+ hours yesterday and thinking we will be working with them in the near future. Both reps I talked to were friendly, informed, and sounded very passionate about the product......something you just don't get with the "phone answerers" when you call the big guys.

I'm a little apprehensive about the electronics and more potential failure points, but overall it looks like a great package. At first I was thinking about the universal add on kit since I've already done the tuning, but the plus side of going with the entire E-Clik Pro system is the real time data acquisition like steering angle, brake pressure, and throttle position from the Jeep's OBD port that allows dynamic changes BEFORE the chassis even has time to react makes me want to go that route.

I serious mixed feeling about bbailing on the current Fox project as it's right on the verge of being dialed in to my preferences, but can't help to think what else the E-Clik could provide me in comfort and safety.....not to mention the cost!
I understand the pain. The racers are adopting the electronic suspension with incredible improvements in times. In five years, we will all be riding on electronic shocks. Right now it’s tough to find shocks, so you could sell yours.

OP
OP
CrazyCooter

CrazyCooter

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I understand the pain. The racers are adopting the electronic suspension with incredible improvements in times. In five years, we will all be riding on electronic shocks. Right now it’s tough to find shocks, so you could sell yours.
The need for tuning will always be there, but the light to med changes that have taken me hours to dial in under 100's of different conditions can be tuned out with the electronics.

Yes, I was thinking it would probably be easy to find a home for my current shocks considering that they are pretty well dialed and impossible to get right now. I have a couple gallons of oil, seals, and wear bands to freshen them up for the sale should I end up going this other route.

Have a 2700+ mile dual sport trip coming up next month, so I'd like to make the jump before then if possible. IF the SDI's are that awesome, I'd sure like to give them some good feedback and reports on here as someone who has some experience in trying a lot of things over the years and 10,000's of off road miles experience in so many types of machines. It just appears the people buying these things aren't using them or providing good feedback.

I also have so many clients in mind with ill driving vehicles (My opinion)that could benefit from tuning or SDI's.

OP
OP
CrazyCooter

CrazyCooter

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Went back out to the test spot this morning. Wish I had someone to hold the camera and get the same angle, but this video illustrates that the mid range valving changes took care of the bottoming. I had 7/8-1" bump travel left over with the clickers full tight and the thumping from bottoming is gone. It was a little on the firm side some of which could be that it was 41° up there this morning.......

I'm happy for now considering these whoops are pretty deep and spaced just wrong for the JT's wheelbase!

Last edited:

Knox

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 gladiator rubicon
Occupation
Engineer
I think that would be smoother at 105 mph and 30” of wheel travel.
update on my end, Accutune paid for round trip shipping to go through my shocks since I found one piston upside down.
i got the tool to open them, and have all the heavier shims, but I’ll try it out after they fix them and go from there.

Sponsored

OP
OP
CrazyCooter

CrazyCooter

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I think that would be smoother at 105 mph and 30” of wheel travel.
update on my end, Accutune paid for round trip shipping to go through my shocks since I found one piston upside down.
i got the tool to open them, and have all the heavier shims, but I’ll try it out after they fix them and go from there.
Yep, definitely limited by a packaging!

Glad they are taking care of you. Not surprised as all of the feedback I see has been positive. I seriously doubt you will be happy even after all the parts are installed properly......You see how much more metal I had to put in mine to make it work! I'd love to talk to Ryan about what I have been doing vs his stuff, but he didn't even call me back when I was looking for parts.

You might go ahead and get Part# 071-08-180 bleed shim coming too.....It's a 4 port .008" that should help with low speed wiggles. Might take Fox a while to get them out to you. I run them F/R. I tried to get others so I would have an assortment, but none of the other part #'s I wanted were available.

Knox

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 gladiator rubicon
Occupation
Engineer
Yep, definitely limited by a packaging!

Glad they are taking care of you. Not surprised as all of the feedback I see has been positive. I seriously doubt you will be happy even after all the parts are installed properly......You see how much more metal I had to put in mine to make it work! I'd love to talk to Ryan about what I have been doing vs his stuff, but he didn't even call me back when I was looking for parts.

You might go ahead and get Part# 071-08-180 bleed shim coming too.....It's a 4 port .008" that should help with low speed wiggles. Might take Fox a while to get them out to you. I run them F/R. I tried to get others so I would have an assortment, but none of the other part #'s I wanted were available.
Good news I have bleed shims. But with the 1.6” diameter ports facing the 1.8” diameter bleed shim, it wasn’t doing anything.
Jeep Gladiator Reaching out to those doing their own shock tuning? 2824094E-CB2A-4513-8DBB-FD1C110AF9FA

OP
OP
CrazyCooter

CrazyCooter

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Good news I have bleed shims. But with the 1.6” diameter ports facing the 1.8” diameter bleed shim, it wasn’t doing anything.
Jeep Gladiator Reaching out to those doing their own shock tuning? 2824094E-CB2A-4513-8DBB-FD1C110AF9FA
That's an 8 port bleed shim though....probably the OEM one. I went with a 4 port to tighten up things on the road manner end of it.

Yes, how that was installed, you had an effectively small rebound bleed, and a massive compression bleed with the 1.6" shim over the 1.8" ports.

Knox

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 gladiator rubicon
Occupation
Engineer
That's an 8 port bleed shim though....probably the OEM one. I went with a 4 port to tighten up things on the road manner end of it.

Yes, how that was installed, you had an effectively small rebound bleed, and a massive compression bleed with the 1.6" shim over the 1.8" ports.
Jeep Gladiator Reaching out to those doing their own shock tuning? E787D985-0E69-4065-816D-061B77E0633B

I actually had zero rebound damping at all. This is the 1.6” rebound shim on the 1.8” port facing the rebound stack. So it was open flood gates on rebound.

OP
OP
CrazyCooter

CrazyCooter

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
E787D985-0E69-4065-816D-061B77E0633B.jpeg

I actually had zero rebound damping at all. This is the 1.6” rebound shim on the 1.8” port facing the rebound stack. So it was open flood gates on rebound.
Ya, not much restriction going on there!

Easy mistake to make, but you wouldn't think someone with experience would make it? Could have been sick or otherwise distracted that day.Was this on both shocks or just one? Seems like that would create all kinds of weird chassis movements.

Sponsored

ajkaz

First Name
Arun
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JTRD

Curios as to your direction with the Fox 2.5's or SDI... I just came across them last week while researching shock options. I am very interested in Active Pro setup. They have discontinued the active mid tier setup, so your either going with the manual 3 way switch or the pro.
I was considering the Fox 2.5's with some Hydro Bumps or the Bilstein 8800's without bumps. The SDI kit is a small amount more and after going through your thread, I'm basically turned off on the Fox 2.5's. I was going to pickup a set tuned from Accutune. For the money I want to be impressed with both on road and off road rides, sounds like I won't get there on the 2.5's.

The SDI kit is dead on the with pricing of the 3.0's, such a hard choice.

Escape.idiocracy

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jt
Occupation
Hitchhiker
Is anyone running 8100’s or similar?

Knox

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 gladiator rubicon
Occupation
Engineer
Curios as to your direction with the Fox 2.5's or SDI... I just came across them last week while researching shock options. I am very interested in Active Pro setup. They have discontinued the active mid tier setup, so your either going with the manual 3 way switch or the pro.
I was considering the Fox 2.5's with some Hydro Bumps or the Bilstein 8800's without bumps. The SDI kit is a small amount more and after going through your thread, I'm basically turned off on the Fox 2.5's. I was going to pickup a set tuned from Accutune. For the money I want to be impressed with both on road and off road rides, sounds like I won't get there on the 2.5's.

The SDI kit is dead on the with pricing of the 3.0's, such a hard choice.
One thing I like about Bilstein is they share every detail about their tune. I don’t know of another brand that shares the valving specs.

ajkaz

First Name
Arun
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JTRD
Is anyone running 8100’s or similar?
I am now between the 8100's with the external bypass or the SDI, but I cant find anyone except Lite Bright running them sadly. Loving the rebound adjustability, hoping to find someone to speak to the range of variation between max and min.

rharr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JTRD 3" RKK lift, (former) 95 XJ 5sp 8" lift
There is a guy who has done SDI on here, should come up in a search. in short he really liked them with the limited testing he did.
Sponsored