First Name
Stanley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon 2021
Occupation
Safety Consultant
Actually...... having this issue right now!!

was looking to see if anyone else had the same issue and what it was. Going down the highway at 70 towing the camper home from vacation and the locker light popped on. That’ll wake ya up at 1:30 am on an empty interstate! While off-roading, I would engage the rear to help climb a muddy hill and turn them off again once I was up. Rolling slowly I would get the message “disengaging“ then “axel lock disengaged” and the light went out. I tried to engage the lockers in 4 high once and it said “not available“ or “4 lo necessary” or something to that effect.

right now .... I’m in a big parking lot, got under and looked, everything ‘looks’ fine but when I hit the switch, it does lock the axel in 2h (I can tell by the tire scrub turning in a circle) and showed locked. Hit the unlock switch and it says unlocking, light blinking, and no tire scrub.

BTW had my first oil change at 5K just two weeks ago before this trip and I’m pretty sure they did some kind of computer flash to it because I noticed all my apps on the Uconnect were rearranged as I was leaving the dealer. Now this!!!

arg!! I’m gonna keep looking into this and will watch this thread and post if/when I get any answers.
Well, the traction control has to be in full off in order to engage the rear locker. So my guess is a combination of the traction control sensor and the switch for the locker
Sponsored

Mtpisgah

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTM, 2018 JLR
Occupation
Engineer
i may have missed it, but does anyone have the part number for the sensor/cable? I am considering buying an extra to have on hand just in case.

Jaxmax

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps....... 2021 Mojave , 2019 Wrangler
Occupation
Electrical Manager
Mtpisgah, why not get the Z Auotomotive sensor bypass for about $180, any problem anywhere just insert it between the connector on differential and the wire harness connector in a couple minutes good to get back on the road or trail, I don't have the part number but the dealer said it would be about $450 or so.....Jack

Mtpisgah

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTM, 2018 JLR
Occupation
Engineer
Mtpisgah, why not get the Z Auotomotive sensor bypass for about $180, any problem anywhere just insert it between the connector on differential and the wire harness connector in a couple minutes good to get back on the road or trail, I don't have the part number but the dealer said it would be about $450 or so.....Jack
Generally I am not a fan of bypasses, but if that really is the best, and easiest option when on the trail (no diff fluid change), I will look into it.

Sponsored

CrazyCooter

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.overlandvehicledynamics.com
Vehicle(s)
1991 JEEP YJ, 2021 JTR Ecodiesel
Occupation
Specialty Off Road Shop Owner
I've installed the bypass for 2 different clients and they are still working over 2 years later. Easy fix......

Last edited:

BlackDog

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting Gray JTR / 2005 Grand Cherokee
Does the dealer now replace the sensor or do they still swap the entire axle? I got a new axle last time this happened. The last comment in that thread implies they can now replace the sensor, which is my hope.
Got my Jeep back and they were able to replace the sensor this time instead of swapping the entire axle. 👍

Green_Gladiator

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Mojave, 22 NX350 F-Sport
Occupation
Commercial HVAC
Getting my Rear axle lock sensor replaced today. Finally stayed on the dash long enough to show the dealer.

They stated lock head bolts on the rear axle need replaced with the sensor … Jeep says they do not tighten all the way and support minor leakage… Haven’t heard/read about the lock head bolt not tightening enough on the rear axle being an issue …

Anyone else have The bolts replaced for this reason???

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Getting my Rear axle lock sensor replaced today. Finally stayed on the dash long enough to show the dealer.

They stated lock head bolts on the rear axle need replaced with the sensor … Jeep says they do not tighten all the way and support minor leakage… Haven’t heard/read about the lock head bolt not tightening enough on the rear axle being an issue …

Anyone else have The bolts replaced for this reason???
It's funny sometimes the explanations they come up with for things.
Those are one time use bolts, yes, technically, but not for that reason. They do not "support minor leakage". They are torque to yield if I recall - meaning to do it correctly, by the book, you replace them every time the cover comes off.
So for a dealership to do the work, if they follow the directions in the docs, they replace the bolts. But if your lock sensor is a warranty thing, then those bolts are also covered as it's part of the process for remove and replace internal parts - such as the sensor.

Green_Gladiator

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Mojave, 22 NX350 F-Sport
Occupation
Commercial HVAC
It's funny sometimes the explanations they come up with for things.
Those are one time use bolts, yes, technically, but not for that reason. They do not "support minor leakage". They are torque to yield if I recall - meaning to do it correctly, by the book, you replace them every time the cover comes off.
So for a dealership to do the work, if they follow the directions in the docs, they replace the bolts. But if your lock sensor is a warranty thing, then those bolts are also covered as it's part of the process for remove and replace internal parts - such as the sensor.
🫡 Thank you sir! Makes sense, yes it is under warranty …and I am glad to hear it’s being done properly … agreed he could have left out the minor leakage comment for sure …. Especially since it’s not costing me anything smh

AstroZombie

First Name
Arthur
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon, '04 Tacoma PreRunner
Occupation
Tech Support
I had this happen, maybe last year but it went away. It has returned last evening 1300 miles into my 1500 mile trip. Hope this part is still under warranty. Hahaha
Sponsored