Sponsored

Rear locker engaging automatically in 2H

LaterGator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator Gladiator
Rear locker sensor was acting up on my JT, so I pulled cover, cleaned everything and refilled with fresh gear fluid. Problem hasn't come back. Nothing unusual from the inspection. I have 5.13 gears so I wasn't going to the dealer to address the problem. I now have the z auto harness to "fix" the problem if/when it comes back.
Sponsored

PDiddy

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Architectural Illustrator
Rear locker sensor was acting up on my JT, so I pulled cover, cleaned everything and refilled with fresh gear fluid. Problem hasn't come back. Nothing unusual from the inspection. I have 5.13 gears so I wasn't going to the dealer to address the problem. I now have the z auto harness to "fix" the problem if/when it comes back.
I got the issue from towing a travel trailer all the time. I too just bought the Z auto harness and moved on. I figured if I got the axle replaced, I would just run into the same issue, after I towed with it a few more times after that. I’ll get it warrantied once I’m not towing with it or the warranty is about to run out.

Jeep’s warranty fix should just be the z auto harness.

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon Launch Edition
Occupation
CPA
Same issue for me while towing my off-road trailer. Initially the rear locker light was flashing and I could hit the disengage button and it would go away but eventually the locker showed on the dash as engaged and pressing the button did not work. I know have a message to service the rear axle and am taking it to the dealer this week. I have about 19k and have towed on several prior trips without an issue. The off-road pages show both the front and rear lockers as locked but they clearly are not.

zprovo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator BMW-R1150GS Toyota-FJ60 Porsche-914
Occupation
Architect
Same issue for me. No towing. First showed up driving back to Tennessee from Maine on the fourth of July. Yesterday dealer said they ordered a new rear axle. No ETA.

usnavycdr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Willys Sport S, 99 WJ
Occupation
Psych RN
I seem to remember a discussion at my local Jeep shop about the electric lockers sensor being fooled by small metal particles from wear suspended in the gear oil shorting the sensor switch. I don't know if it is only the Mopar lockers or affects Eaton etc too.

Sponsored

LaterGator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator Gladiator
I seem to remember a discussion at my local Jeep shop about the electric lockers sensor being fooled by small metal particles from wear suspended in the gear oil shorting the sensor switch. I don't know if it is only the Mopar lockers or affects Eaton etc too.
I think the same thing. I haven't had any more lights since I changed the fluid. Lot less expensive than changing the rear-end.

Happy Waver

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Retail
Vehicle Showcase
Same issue for me. No towing. First showed up driving back to Tennessee from Maine on the fourth of July. Yesterday dealer said they ordered a new rear axle. No ETA.
Funny enough, same thing happened to me driving back from east Tennessee to Arkansas. Hasn't happened again until yesterday I took it 1.5 hours away into the Ozark Mountains. Seems like a hilly road trip triggers this thing?

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
CPA
Mine has now been at the dealership for almost 2 weeks. They replaced the sensor alone and that did not solve the problem. They are now going to replace the entire rear-end but apparently the parts are not available and it could be up to 45 days.

zprovo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Architect
Mine has now been at the dealership for almost 2 weeks. They replaced the sensor alone and that did not solve the problem. They are now going to replace the entire rear-end but apparently the parts are not available and it could be up to 45 days.
Damn. That's a long time. They weren't able to get me an ETA. I did eventually get a loaner, that helps.

Whatthepuck

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Meat and seafood wholesale
I have the same problem, BUT, my dealer says they can not do anything cause it is not throwing any codes and they cannot duplicate it. It only seems to happen to me after a long drive (over 1 hour drive) and I have recorded it on video. What should I do or who should I talk to? My rubicon is stock and I dont trailer anything. Any and all advice would be appreciated.

Sponsored

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
CPA
I would take it to the dealership, if you go through the posts you will see that it often starts with the light flashing from time to time but eventually the light will be solid and you will get a service axle message. With mine they tried to replace the sensor but that did not clear the problem although I thought it would. The dealership was initially told by Jeep that they would need to rebuild the rear differential. I contacted Jeep and told them that I wanted the entire rear end replaced hoping that the problem was related to the date mine was manufactured(November 2019) and that it has been corrected at this point. They agreed to replace the rear end although the downside is it will take up to 45 days. They have agreed to compensate me for the time without the truck although the compensation is yet to be determined. I also told Jeep Wave that this is obviously a common issue and others have had their axle replaced.

zprovo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Architect
I have the same problem, BUT, my dealer says they can not do anything cause it is not throwing any codes and they cannot duplicate it. It only seems to happen to me after a long drive (over 1 hour drive) and I have recorded it on video. What should I do or who should I talk to? My rubicon is stock and I dont trailer anything. Any and all advice would be appreciated.
Mine wasn't consistent at first either. When I first dropped it off they couldn't duplicate it. Though they did replace the Transfer Case Control Module...
About a week and a half later the light was fairly constant. I also texted them a video of the light.
Mine was initially also only after an hour or so on the highway.

zprovo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Architect
Did you ever get that replacement axle? Mine's been at the dealer 6 weeks now.

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
CPA
Did you ever get that replacement axle? Mine's been at the dealer 6 weeks now.
Yes, it finally was replaced after 30 days at the dealership and I have the truck back now. Fingers crossed it is not a problem again in the future. I did not need a rental car so Jeep agreed to give me a hard tri-fold tonneau cover. I already had the soft cover but it was not in good shape.

wbreza

First Name
Wallace
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
I had this issue as well multiple times after towing through the mountains. Last time it happened it didn't fix itself like previous occurrences. I have upgraded to 5.13 gears after the first incident and just decided to go with the ZAutomotive Z Locker OEM which fixed the issue and it hasn't come back since.

https://www.zautomotive.com/product/z_lkr_oem/
Sponsored