Sponsored

Rear locker engaging automatically in 2H

NaughtyGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gator JTR
It's a widespread issue that goes back to JL rear ends, thus the override plug assembly. A lot of people have been denied a fix since they regeared their Rubi. Since FCA won't make the sensor available, people who have modified their vehicle are stuck living with it, replacing their rear end or using the plug. Seeing how far back this goes I'm shocked the FCA solution is still to replace the entire rear end.
Sponsored

Tecboy2000

First Name
caleb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
just went to the dealer in Wichita Kansas and they had not seen it happen to the JT yet. But they too said it was a whole rear axel swap because they could not get the part. I now have to live with it until mid November before they can get one delivered as hey are backorder. I am also having the steering mod done by them but they are only allowed to order one every 14 days and will not do the mod unless you say you are having a wandering or drifting issue.
Jeep Gladiator Rear locker engaging automatically in 2H 20200904_092705

Jeep Gladiator Rear locker engaging automatically in 2H 20200904_092708

Jaxmax

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps....... 2021 Mojave , 2019 Wrangler
Occupation
Electrical Manager
Still going on, Yesterday, saw the dash light blink on a second and twice had the dash indicator light up and the locker switch light was on, locker not locked! Bad news.......2021 Mojave with 94 miles on it and although I bought it to tow a few trailers, and a camper, yesterday was the first day I drove it since bringing it home, Mojave was ordered 7/17/20 and picked up 9/30/20!. I think I'm going to get the Z sensor item that eliminates the sensor, and wait for awhile until Jeep gets parts avalible. Damn!....Jack

Last edited:

Jaxmax

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Electrical Manager
Ordered the Z locker adaptor plug, I'll put it in hope it works, and buy me some time, not looking to swap out whole rear axle, I'll wait until replacement parts are available. Sort of bizarre to install a sensor in a rear axle assembly, ship to a guy with a sensor issue, then do what with the rear axle assembly, take apart and build again as new?, toss in dumpster? Why not just not build the axle assembly and just send the sensor ito the guy needing it instead?......Jack

Jaxmax

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Electrical Manager
Did continue having the locker light showing up 2-3 times a day, I did install the Z-locker plug in kit and issues have gone away, sensor is out of circuit. Locker locks and unlocks with switch , light on switch lights up and 4wd display shows locker locked and it does lock and unlock. I'll wait it out until a improved sensor comes out, the way it is is not really a long term problem either. ....Jack

Sponsored

Gladiatrix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon
Occupation
TV/Film Sound Utility Technician
Same exact thing happened to me, I wasn't towing but I did have a fully loaded bed heading out for a camping trip. Eventually the light stopped flashing but the lockers both said that they were locked. Then I hit a little bit of water getting onto the freeway in Southern California and I fishtailed like CRAZY! Thankfully I didn't hit anyone else and regained control.

Just dropped my truck off to the dealership today "it was the first one they've seen with this issue"...I don't believe that at all. We will see what happens.

Mickey1961

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Sales
just went to the dealer in Wichita Kansas and they had not seen it happen to the JT yet. But they too said it was a whole rear axel swap because they could not get the part. I now have to live with it until mid November before they can get one delivered as hey are backorder. I am also having the steering mod done by them but they are only allowed to order one every 14 days and will not do the mod unless you say you are having a wandering or drifting issue.

Mine has been doing this off an on for a month well it's at a jeep dealership now and there trying to tell me that they can't find anything wrong with it, now another issue my jeep is shutting off while driving past 3 days

Zdevil13

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Mine went out on the Friday before Labor Day. Was in the dealership the following Wednesday.
My dealership says part is still on order “with no ETA”.
It’s complete crap, I didn’t get a Rubicon just to have no lockers for three months. Especially since we are now in wheeling season in Arizona.
I hope @JeepCares is watching this thread. Maybe they can put pressure on Dana.

NaughtyGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gator JTR
@Zdevil13 , I understand your frustrations but you can put to bed any notions of @JeepCares changing anything on FCA's side. This is a problem that predates the JT and they haven't fixed it yet. It's highly unlikely they ever will. If it was going to be addressed it already would have but since it's not being flagged as a safety issue and dealers are often able to convince customers it's their fault, they're not going to fix it. Seeing as the entire rear end is being replaced over a $100 sensor, it's either very rare so that engineering a solution would cost more than replacing the rear ends or someone else is eating the cost.

Sponsored

Mickey1961

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Sales
Mine has been doing this off an on for a month well it's at a jeep dealership now and there trying to tell me that they can't find anything wrong with it, now another issue my jeep is shutting off while driving past 3 days

Riccochet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JKR | 2020 Ram 2500 | 2021 JT Sport
If it's like the JK the locker should still work. It's just the sensor. Light has been blinking on and off in my JKR for months. I can still engage and disengage the lockers with no issue.

You'll know if it's locked the first turn you make on dry pavement. The inside rear tire will hop. If that's not happening you're good.

12BNNT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
My rear axle has actually been swapped out twice now. First time was back in June? On my way back from Tennessee pulling the camper (see beginning of this thread). Replaced the axle and all was fine. Pulled the camper a shorter trip to Branson from St Louis area and back with no problems. Then took a longer trip to Yellowstone in August with the camper and the light came on again. Back to the dealer, ordered another axle. Went to Jamboree with the camper in September, light was on but lockers worked fine. Second axle came in and got replaced in October. Haven’t pulled the camper with this axle yet so we’ll see.

While at the Jamboree, talking to a guy with a JLR, found out that it’s been an issue with the JL’s as well. My thought was maybe the locker wasn’t strong enough for the JT’s towing capacity being as how pulling a camper or trailer seems to be a common theme but he told me there are guys with the sensor issue that never towed anything.

I know on the sport JK’s like I had (not sure about the sport JL’s) they had a Dana 30 front and a Dana 44 rear. I was kinda surprised Jeep didn’t go with a Dana 60 rear on the JT’s (especially the JTR) for the stronger rating given the higher towing capacity.

The more I’ve read on this, it seems to me that maybe it’s an issue with the locker not disengaging 100 percent. Disengages enough to not be locked in but doesn’t open enough for the sensor to read it being open. Lock and unlock on the locker itself works fine but when it opens, if it doesn’t open up that last tiny bit, the sensor freaks out thinking it’s still engaged and the locker light doesn’t go out.
Haven’t heard anything from anyone who replaced the factory locker with an upgrade using the stock axle, locker switch and sensor. That might give more clarity to the issue.

I can’t imagine a $3,982.14 axle swap would be cheaper than replacing a faulty sensor if that was the only problem. I guess if they want to lose that kinda money 2 or 3 times a year, every time I take a trip with my camper that’s their problem but I can say these axle replacement hassles are gonna get old quick!

Riccochet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JKR | 2020 Ram 2500 | 2021 JT Sport
Problem isn't the axle, locker or diff. It's the stupid sensor. It's been a problem on the JK's as well. The issue is that to replace the sensor the axle needs to be disassembled. Axles removed, carrier pulled. Then it needs to be reassembled properly. There's the issue. When dealers hire mostly parts chuckers that couldn't diagnose a clogged air filter without a computer the trust to reassemble a diff with the proper backlash just isn't there. So they have their parts chuckers remove and replace the entire assembly. It's cheaper from a warranty and lawsuit standpoint.

Renegade

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT
Build Thread
Link
I’m sure they also have failure clauses in their parts contracts with vendors. The axle probably isn’t costing Jeep anything, but is being provided by the supplier, Dana. Tearing down and repairing may be more labor-hours than a replacement.
Either a lot more people tow with their jeeps than I was aware of, or there seems to be an increased risk of this associated with towing. I still wonder if it’s an electrical issue caused by the use of the trailer plug.
Sponsored