Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
3.73 is probably too tall for the manual tranny IMO. Interestingly 6th gear with 4.56 gears is like running in 5th with a 4.10.

This is fun to play with: http://www.grimmjeeper.com/gears.html
If I had a stick I probably wouldn't hit 6th very often. Even my little Eagle rarely sees 5th gear unless I'm doing over 60 (T5, 4th is high or direct)

I really wish Jeep would lock 8th out unless it detected a light load, level road and no wind.

seven30

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTM 6spd, 2001 Cherokee, 1992 Comanche
Occupation
Programer
If I had a stick I probably wouldn't hit 6th very often. Even my little Eagle rarely sees 5th gear unless I'm doing over 60 (T5, 4th is high or direct)

I really wish Jeep would lock 8th out unless it detected a light load, level road and no wind.
I guess your auto is hunting between 7/8 frequently?

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I guess your auto is hunting between 7/8 frequently?
You got it. Understatement.
Any hill at all it drops down 1 or 2 gears. One time heading home going east on I80/35 it was windy and I was doing 65-70 and it never left 7th even on the flats.
Pulling my EMPTY flat bed (1500 pounds) it stayed mostly in 5th and 6th, hit 7th on mild hills and only hit 8th on the flat or downhill.
Empty - it's in 8th only on flats. Iowa is far from flat unless you get to Belmond or Goodell.
I counted the down/up shifts driving NW Iowa heading to Spirit Lake - it stayed in 8th only about 5 seconds or so at a time and in a single minute may shift 3 or 4 times or more.

Choatecav

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Sales

Yeah, trust me, you would not go for 6th often. I call it my "interstate gear" as it is the only time I go there.

Sponsored

seven30

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTM 6spd, 2001 Cherokee, 1992 Comanche
Occupation
Programer
Any hill at all it drops down 1 or 2 gears. One time heading home going east on I80/35 it was windy and I was doing 65-70 and it never left 7th even on the flats.
Pulling my EMPTY flat bed (1500 pounds) it stayed mostly in 5th and 6th, hit 7th on mild hills and only hit 8th on the flat or downhill.
Empty - it's in 8th only on flats. Iowa is far from flat unless you get to Belmond or Goodell.
I counted the down/up shifts driving NW Iowa heading to Spirit Lake - it stayed in 8th only about 5 seconds or so at a time and in a single minute may shift 3 or 4 times or more.
Doesn't the auto have a manual override mode? If so it may be more fun to take over. While autos respond almost instantly to conditions WE can respond BEFORE the conditions occur! Magic!

Gobistick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Landrover 110 and Gladiator Sport S
So is this issue just happening in Canada? Havent done mine but I'm probably going this week to have a shock replaced so I'm curious.
Well I'm in Vancouver BC and I received my recall by mail. It is a country wide recall I'm told. I love my manual transmission and really only ever had concern about clutch engagement from a start. This software update was is a big improvement IMHO. For those of you reluctant to go and have this recall performed I can tell you it worked great for me. Arguments about ratios and a useless 6th gear have validity but this software update obviously won't address those.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Doesn't the auto have a manual override mode? If so it may be more fun to take over. While autos respond almost instantly to conditions WE can respond BEFORE the conditions occur! Magic!
Pop the lever to the left while in drive and you control the up and down shifts. Sounds like a number of people here do that while towing.
I love the automatic, but not the shift points and mapping. It seems to want to keep the RPM about 1400-1600 and that's just TOO LOW.
I used "manual mode" on Pike's Peak last month and it was a dream. Hardly used brakes, and I kept it from hunting on the constant curves and such.

I never got to drive a manual JT so don't know at all what they are like - and since I tow a car hauler I needed all the capacity I could get and hate backing and maneuvering with a stick - otherwise.......

Molaram

First Name
Gord
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland
Well I'm in Vancouver BC and I received my recall by mail. It is a country wide recall I'm told. I love my manual transmission and really only ever had concern about clutch engagement from a start. This software update was is a big improvement IMHO. For those of you reluctant to go and have this recall performed I can tell you it worked great for me. Arguments about ratios and a useless 6th gear have validity but this software update obviously won't address those.
Greetings from Fernie! Received my recall notice in the mail last week (2020 Overland Manual T) and was booked in today for the Y07 update. My dealer called me yesterday and told me to hold off for a few weeks until they fix the SW bugs that have cropped up (language issues, blank screens)in this update. Have you experienced any of those issues since your update? I was a bit surprised they asked me to hold off given the recall notice made it sound like a significant safety issue. Can you explain a bit further about what you have noticed since the update with clutch engagement from stand still? Any comments are appreciated. Thanks again.

jimbom

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 6-Speed Rubicon Gator Gladiator, 2015 Infiniti Q60 6-Speed Sport Coupe (wife's, really), 2003 5-speed Honda Civic Coupe, 1960-something Jeep Gladiator (Matchbox)
Had the software recall done this week. It vastly improve the clutch take-up in first gear from a standstill. There now appears to be noticeably more torque off idle and less need to feed in the clutch using revs. I'm very pleased with the change. I did have the language change problem when I picked it up but the technician was able to return it to English by resetting the language in settings on the touch screen.. It took him two tries to make it stick though. Go figure !
Did your update add the on-screen display of what gear you're in? Anyone with a recent update, please feel free to chime in.

Sponsored

jimbom

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 6-Speed Rubicon Gator Gladiator, 2015 Infiniti Q60 6-Speed Sport Coupe (wife's, really), 2003 5-speed Honda Civic Coupe, 1960-something Jeep Gladiator (Matchbox)
Does your auto have a "tow" button? My Ram had that and it lessened its eagerness to incessantly upshift. I never towed, but used it on hilly roads often.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Does your auto have a "tow" button? My Ram had that and it lessened its eagerness to incessantly upshift. I never towed, but used it on hilly roads often.
Hell no - I MISS that feature! Even my 95 F250 had that feature. My 2011 Silverado had that.
In both it changed the shifting and if I recall correctly, on the ford it prevented overdrive. It also extended the turn signal lane change from 3 to 5 flashes on both trucks.
I don't understand why a truck that the company BRAGS is made for towing, comes with a tow package - doesn't have features that were in other trucks 10 - even 16 years ago.
Mine behaves EXACTLY the same with or without a trailer behind it. I detected no difference what-so-ever. Not a bit. The shifting was exactly the same and it kept trying to use the top OD gears while towing - on hills.

4xjeepr

First Name
DON
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Gladiator Sport, 06 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 95 Wrangler Rio Grande
Did your update add the on-screen display of what gear you're in? Anyone with a recent update, please feel free to chime in.
Had my Y07 update done a few weeks ago. I have not had the issue others have had in reference to the blank screen or language changes. And yes, I now have a display above the odometer that shows what gear I am in, 1-6 or N=Neutral. Haven't taken any pics of the display but can if you would like one.

jimbom

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Had my Y07 update done a few weeks ago. I have not had the issue others have had in reference to the blank screen or language changes. And yes, I now have a display above the odometer that shows what gear I am in, 1-6 or N=Neutral. Haven't taken any pics of the display but can if you would like one.
No pic needed. Some who had the earlier update (for newer trucks, IDK???) posted what it looked like. It took a long time for this update to become available for my truck, so I was just interested if it also added that feature. I'm really looking forward to that change!

4xjeepr

First Name
DON
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Gladiator Sport, 06 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 95 Wrangler Rio Grande
Cool. Yes it does add it. I have looked at it a few times. It's a nice add on, just not something I notice much. I've had many MTs over the years and I have always tried to know what gear I'm in lol
Sponsored