Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT Rubi, 18 JLU Rubi, 2008 JKU Rubi, 07 Vette
Only a few manual transmissions are still offered in the automotive world, especially in suv/trucks and it is a shame FCA botched this transmission. In more ways than one, too.
I disagree completely. Mine preforms beautifully. But manual transmissions tend to generate widely varying opinions by nature.
Sponsored

Litfuse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Two Door Rubicon, 2017 Audi Q5, 2016 Ram, 2016 Yamaha XSR900
I disagree completely. Mine preforms beautifully. But manual transmissions tend to generate widely varying opinions by nature.
That is true. I had a 2018 manual JLR and just recently drove a manual JTR. There are many things I don’t understand about the choices made by FCA when developing this manual transmission. For me it is the gear spacing. A third gear that can go to 103 mph makes no sense. I thought it was really bad in my 18 Rubi, until I drove the Rubicon Gladiator.
But to the point of this thread, FCA had years to develop this transmission and test and tune it. We are talking about a manual transmission. To have issues in this day and age makes no sense.

seven30

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTM 6spd, 2001 Cherokee, 1992 Comanche
Occupation
Programer
Owning a couple of 4.0 jeeps I did not get the JT power band at first.
The key for me was not being afraid to spin the v6 right up to redline. It likes it and once you understand that power band, its easy to drive.

After owning a 6spd Mojave (4.10) for 7k miles the clutch is near perfect, the shifting is very pleasant indeed and the gear spacing works well. Not sure if its the 4:10 axle or what but I'm really happy with the whole setup. The more I drive the more I like it and Im not lying when I say this clutch, after break-in, is turning out to be one of the best I have ever driven.

jimbom

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 6-Speed Rubicon Gator Gladiator, 2015 Infiniti Q60 6-Speed Sport Coupe (wife's, really), 2003 5-speed Honda Civic Coupe, 1960-something Jeep Gladiator (Matchbox)
... it is a shame FCA botched this transmission. In more ways than one, too.
You'd get that impression just reading these negative threads -- people pissing about the recall, 1st being too low and 5th/6th being too high (maybe just 5th?) But IMO, driving it is a pleasure. An easy clutch that doesn't make your leg ache in traffic. 1st is low for a reason and crawling (especially w/ a Rubicon,) is a luxury compared to in a Toyota and, well, to your point, there really is nothing else left to compare it to.

This recall definitely sucks and I'd like to know what the real problem is. My *guess* is there are tolerance/quality problems and some are prone to slip. They tried to weed those out in the first recall, but still missed some (ie, some are still overheating) It seems this recall doesn't fix the slipping, rather tries to mitigate resulting fires and explosions if slipping is detected. I'm pretty sure I'd know if/when mine becomes prone to chronic slipping. Anyone who has used up a clutch knows what that's like.

This all seems very similar to the steering box problem. Some are terrible, some not. It's got to be more a quality problem than design issue. Mine was bothersome and I had the box replaced. Now it steers quite well, even at very high highway speeds (granted I now use a dedicated set of Pirelli Scorpians for daily driving and long highway trips.)

SelfmodJT

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 jeep JT Willys, 2005 350z con
Had the software recall done this week. It vastly improve the clutch take-up in first gear from a standstill. There now appears to be noticeably more torque off idle and less need to feed in the clutch using revs. I'm very pleased with the change. I did have the language change problem when I picked it up but the technician was able to return it to English by resetting the language in settings on the touch screen.. It took him two tries to make it stick though. Go figure !
So is this issue just happening in Canada? Havent done mine but I'm probably going this week to have a shock replaced so I'm curious.

Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The key for me was not being afraid to spin the v6 right up to redline. It likes it and once you understand that power band, its easy to drive.

After owning a 6spd Mojave (4.10) for 7k miles the clutch is near perfect, the shifting is very pleasant indeed and the gear spacing works well. Not sure if its the 4:10 axle or what but I'm really happy with the whole setup. The more I drive the more I like it and Im not lying when I say this clutch, after break-in, is turning out to be one of the best I have ever driven.
Exactly my feeling.

Choatecav

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Sales

You are right on the money with this comment. It took me a while to grasp that, but this engine does love to rev up and handles it well. The clutch is well suited for it, too. Only 2500 miles into my odyssey but I am learning it more every day.

2004blackwrx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 wrx, 2005 xterra, 2014 durango, formerly 1998 wrangler
Crap, I need an oil change and am worried they will insist on doing the recall update.
Yea i got an oil change and inspection in December. I dont want to cash in my recall until my clutch slips. I just told them I need to pick my kids up and have no time for anything extra.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Crap, I need an oil change and am worried they will insist on doing the recall update.
When I had mine in months ago for wave oil change and tire rotation they said my VIN popped up for an update - I had to approve them doing it.
They asked "should we go ahead and do that now"?

Whether or not you do your own oil change or have them do other things, it's all up to you.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
You are right on the money with this comment. It took me a while to grasp that, but this engine does love to rev up and handles it well. The clutch is well suited for it, too. Only 2500 miles into my odyssey but I am learning it more every day.
The LS engine in my 2011 Silverado loved rev's. I recall when I first towed with it and I hit the hills on I80 in eastern Iowa - the thing kicked down and wound up tight and freaked me out at first. Had I taken my car's engine up to those points I'd be looking for rods and a block.
I actually HATE it that these 3.6 engines run so SLOW on the highway. I hate it that they like 1600 RPM or less so much of the time. I'd prefer it if they at least kept up 1800-2000 rpm.

Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The LS engine in my 2011 Silverado loved rev's. I recall when I first towed with it and I hit the hills on I80 in eastern Iowa - the thing kicked down and wound up tight and freaked me out at first. Had I taken my car's engine up to those points I'd be looking for rods and a block.
I actually HATE it that these 3.6 engines run so SLOW on the highway. I hate it that they like 1600 RPM or less so much of the time. I'd prefer it if they at least kept up 1800-2000 rpm.
I regeared to 4.56 and took care of that. It's in a happier place now in top gear.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I regeared to 4.56 and took care of that. It's in a happier place now in top gear.
Mine is Overland - 3.73

be77solo

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Gladiator Willys Sport 6-MT, '19 Cadillac XT4
Have posted before, but still loving my '21 6 Speed Willys. And yes, I live in a big city with horrible traffic at times (but thankfully Mountains/trails or beach nearish too), and do car pool drop off or pickup daily for kiddo (a genuine test of the clutch lol). I can't say the clutch is slipping, I can chirp the rear tires on the 1-2 shift if desired no problem, it clearly holds..... so as far as I'm concerned, plenty of holding power?

Dunno, drives fine and is pure fun, but I'm only around 2K miles. But, I suspect a lot of the grief FCA gets is from those that have no idea how to drive a stick. Thankfully, my dad made me learn on one 25 years ago ha, so I've always gravitated that way.

be77solo

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Gladiator Willys Sport 6-MT, '19 Cadillac XT4
I'm running 35s. It wasn't a solid improvement over 4.10. would be night and day over 3.73. But it ain't cheap. But worth it IMO.
I've always been a gear guy in whatever I drive... it just improves everything.

I'm the crazy one that is going to 4.88's on 32's ha, just so I'm prepared for my eventual desire for 35's. I have regeared a few times, and never wished I went with a higher gear, ever.

I'm the guy driving my 6 speed in 3rd at 85 on the 485 loop totally happily lol.

EDIT: to clarify, I still have 3.73's..... so with 4.88's I'll have 3 more gears to enjoy!
Sponsored