Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR 6MT, 2013 Volvo XC90, 2003 LR Disco
Occupation
Liquor Attorney. So not all bad...
Hi,
If the temperature threshold is reached or exceeded, the launch RPM is limited. The engine output torque is initially reduced slightly only when the threshold is met. If the clutch temperature continues to rise, the software follows a table to determine how much to reduce the engine output torque. Clutch temperature is calculated based on clutch slippage and time. Hope this information help and for more technical information please speak to your dealer.

Rob
Jeep Cares
This lines up with my experience noted above. I got was feathering the clutch a bit too much backing up a trailer on a slight incline. I smelled hot clutch and got a warning message but experienced NO noticeable change in power. I must have done enough abuse to generate the warning but not enough to trigger any power reduction. Moreover, after parking for 10 mins when I restarted there was no warning and I appeared to continue to have full power.

For those of you bemoaning the recall - I can understand and am equally frustrated that I face the possibility of an exploding clutch. But I appreciate the early warning, and I appreciate that power cutting is not triggered when the warning first comes up. So for me (and for most normal drivers) I suspect we will never get to the power cut threshold. That means we a warning system designed to save our clutches before they burn up. To me that is a good thing at the end of the day and I am happy with the fix. Oh and the gear light indicator is helpful especially on those 6-4 downshifts...
Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT Rubi, 18 JLU Rubi, 2008 JKU Rubi, 07 Vette
This lines up with my experience noted above. I got was feathering the clutch a bit too much backing up a trailer on a slight incline. I smelled hot clutch and got a warning message but experienced NO noticeable change in power. I must have done enough abuse to generate the warning but not enough to trigger any power reduction. Moreover, after parking for 10 mins when I restarted there was no warning and I appeared to continue to have full power.

For those of you bemoaning the recall - I can understand and am equally frustrated that I face the possibility of an exploding clutch. But I appreciate the early warning, and I appreciate that power cutting is not triggered when the warning first comes up. So for me (and for most normal drivers) I suspect we will never get to the power cut threshold. That means we a warning system designed to save our clutches before they burn up. To me that is a good thing at the end of the day and I am happy with the fix. Oh and the gear light indicator is helpful especially on those 6-4 downshifts...
I agree. I think this will wind up being a great feature that should be on every manual transmission made.

Gatorized

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜06 CRV, ā€˜14 Mazda3, ā€˜20 JTR (Gator)
OK - I got the recall software flash done and all is cool. No change at all to the clutch feel (I didn't expect any but some in this forum seem to think there would be). The software upgrade includes a gear indicator - I made a short YT video showing what I mean.

IMG_0161.jpg
Does your paperwork indicate what flash they installed? I keep seeing members post that the dealers say the recall isnā€™t available yet and not supposed to be ready until June...
Thx.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Does your paperwork indicate what flash they installed? I keep seeing members post that the dealers say the recall isnā€™t available yet and not supposed to be ready until June...
Thx.
The Y07 is not available yet and will be ready in June it should cover 2018-19 and maybe 2020. The currently available flash covers 2021 and maybe 2020. I can't recall the code for that one.

JeepCares

First Name
JeepCares
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Family
Occupation
Customer Care
Thx.
Hi Gatorized,
2020 vehicles are listed under the Y07 recall. This software fix is not available until June. 2021 vehicles have a software flash that is available now. Hope this information helps.

Rob
Jeep Cares

Sponsored

syreeves

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Thx.
This is what I got from the dealership.

Also - now that I am looking more carefully at my invoice I recall seeing a lot of stuff about 6qt oil changes being wrong but my dealership is good and I trust them. Before I wade through pages of info anyone know for sure that JT 3.6L gas takes 6qts?

Jeep Gladiator Recall: Manual Transmission / Clutch Recall for 2020-2021 Jeep Gladiator (Notice: 21V-028) JTR service record - recall software and oil change 6qt_LI

jimbom

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 6-Speed Rubicon Gator Gladiator, 2015 Infiniti Q60 6-Speed Sport Coupe (wife's, really), 2003 5-speed Honda Civic Coupe, 1960-something Jeep Gladiator (Matchbox)

hawk14414

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Billet silver JTR 6 speed
Thanks Rob, this is helpful!

The
[/QUOTE]
[QUOTE="JeepCares, post: 69
Hi,
If the temperature threshold is reached or exceeded, the launch RPM is limited. The engine output torque is initially reduced slightly only when the threshold is met. If the clutch temperature continues to rise, the software follows a table to determine how much to reduce the engine output torque. Clutch temperature is calculated based on clutch slippage and time. Hope this information help and for more technical information please speak to your dealer.

Rob
Jeep Cares
[/QUOTE]

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This is what I got from the dealership.

Also - now that I am looking more carefully at my invoice I recall seeing a lot of stuff about 6qt oil changes being wrong but my dealership is good and I trust them. Before I wade through pages of info anyone know for sure that JT 3.6L gas takes 6qts?

Jeep Gladiator Recall: Manual Transmission / Clutch Recall for 2020-2021 Jeep Gladiator (Notice: 21V-028) JTR service record - recall software and oil change 6qt_LI
@jimbom is right. It is exactly the same 3.6 PUG (Pentastar Upgrade) as in the JL, so 5 quarts is the capacity. However, don't get too stressed if a dealer put 6 in there. All FCA engines are designed to pass all corporate tests either 1 quart low or 1 quart high.

syreeves

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
2020 manual says 5 Qts (w/ filter change.)
Thanks. I found my manual and looked that up. I called the dealership and basically they said "our techs probably did it right but our service dept probably wrote it wrong - don't worry about it too much since a little extra oil is OK..."

SO - since I'm not blowing smoke or experiencing crappier than usual mileage I'm going to be OK. But when I start paying for oil changes I'm going to make sure I don't get overcharged.

Sponsored

hawk14414

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Billet silver JTR 6 speed
I would not be comfortable running a full quart over. Check your dip stick, but running significantly too much oil can result in the oil frothing, which is not good.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I would not be comfortable running a full quart over. Check your dip stick, but running significantly too much oil can result in the oil frothing, which is not good.
I agree. Maybe 3 pints, but I wouldn't press the limit. But a friend who was one of the designers of the Pentastar said there is still a little margin of beyond 1 quart over. I had told him about all these dealers putting 6 quarts in and he specifically said to tell those who experience this, "They don't need to panic or worry about it."

2004blackwrx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 wrx, 2005 xterra, 2014 durango, formerly 1998 wrangler
I agree. Maybe 3 pints, but I wouldn't press the limit. But a friend who was one of the designers of the Pentastar said there is still a little margin of beyond 1 quart over. I had told him about all these dealers putting 6 quarts in and he specifically said to tell those who experience this, "They don't need to panic or worry about it."
My jeep manual says 5 quarts so thats what I do. My Dodge Durango also has the 3.6l Pentastar and the manual say 6 quarts so thats what I do. The CDJR dealers might just be used to putting 6 quarts in so many 3.6l pentastars in there lineup so they just do the same for the jeep. May not be a big deal but if the manuals says 5 I would want the dealer to do 5. If they dont follow the guidance in one area can I trust they are not slacking in another.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yep. Not a recommendation to overfill. I put 5 in mine and won't let anyone else change my oil. I only posted that so forum members won't worry that it will damage their engines. Not to recommend 6 quarts.

seven30

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTM 6spd, 2001 Cherokee, 1992 Comanche
Occupation
Programer
Its a thin disk of steel. A 2000degree steel tortilla. Because it has friction material on both sides. And no real contact points to anything else, but through the flanges at the end. So both sides produce friction, and as they are fiber, really wonā€™t help absorb heat away from the system. So that disc is in a hell of a position to keep cool. And temps rise quickly.

Add some heat cycling and boom. It shatters.

Its a thin intermediate pressure plate. See in this pic.
There was some speculation the D478 6spd does not have a pilot bearing input shaft but the new flywheel pictures appears to have one. Did you happen to notice whether the transmission in fact does have a pilot bearing input shaft?
Sponsored