Sponsored

Rock Rails Thread

j.o.y.ride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Gladiator Overland
Just read the whole thing, all 52 pages. I need a very functional step and want solid protection. While we don't wheel often, we do want to get into the granite in the Sierras a lot more frequently this summer.

One question is, how do the frame mounts interfere with underbody armor? Is there any armor that plays well, or has like 1 body common body mount that could be cut off from the sliders as 3 of the 4 is probably plenty strong?

The best ones that I would want are the Gen Rights but wow the price! Though their tubing is a full 0.25" thick vs some that are 0.188 or so and still need paint.

https://genright.com/products/jeep-gladiator-jt-rocker-guards-w-step.html
Jeep Gladiator Rock Rails Thread 1614794289044

The Motobilts are nice and different but tie the frame to the body rocker panels.

Frog Fabs are alright and cover the channel too, which is very nice
Jeep Gladiator Rock Rails Thread 1614794738873

DV8 would be similar and nice price but not frame mounted

Mojave MOPAR ones not bad either

Still so lost lol
Sponsored

mx5red

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Firecracker JTR; 2020 DGC JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Just read the whole thing, all 52 pages. I need a very functional step and want solid protection. While we don't wheel often, we do want to get into the granite in the Sierras a lot more frequently this summer.

One question is, how do the frame mounts interfere with underbody armor? Is there any armor that plays well, or has like 1 body common body mount that could be cut off from the sliders as 3 of the 4 is probably plenty strong?

The best ones that I would want are the Gen Rights but wow the price! Though their tubing is a full 0.25" thick vs some that are 0.188 or so and still need paint.

https://genright.com/products/jeep-gladiator-jt-rocker-guards-w-step.html

The Motobilts are nice and different but tie the frame to the body rocker panels.

Frog Fabs are alright and cover the channel too, which is very nice

DV8 would be similar and nice price but not frame mounted

Mojave MOPAR ones not bad either

Still so lost lol
Those genright ones have more connection points on the bottom of the frame than Iā€™ve seen on most..
I believe I read some people having overlap between skids and steps, usually mounting the belly skids after the step.
A lot of people love the Rock Hard steps, they are very strong and have many mounting points to the pinch seam and body bolts, leaving the frame clear. People debate on here but after drilling and bolting a bunch of holes for my TNT sliders, I am not convinced itā€™s any stronger than the Rock Hard method. A couple of my bolts stripped out the frame when I bolted them in and had to drill/tap holes for bigger bolts. The frame is pretty thin, so thereā€™s not a lot of material for the bolts to grab.
Welding them on would be ideal, Iā€™m not ready for that.
You can look at pics of belly skids and try to get a sense of any overlap.
These rock hard ones would overlap the one mount (front-most) on mine that wraps under the bottom of the frame like all the genrights do. Most of the tnt mounts are just on the side of the frame

Jeep Gladiator Rock Rails Thread 4D88437D-8F9A-4BD4-BDBF-AE0BD6BC4A5B

j.o.y.ride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Gladiator Overland
Those genright ones have more connection points on the bottom of the frame than Iā€™ve seen on most..
I believe I read some people having overlap between skids and steps, usually mounting the belly skids after the step.
A lot of people love the Rock Hard steps, they are very strong and have many mounting points to the pinch seam and body bolts, leaving the frame clear. People debate on here but after drilling and bolting a bunch of holes for my TNT sliders, I am not convinced itā€™s any stronger than the Rock Hard method. A couple of my bolts stripped out the frame when I bolted them in and had to drill/tap holes for bigger bolts. The frame is pretty thin, so thereā€™s not a lot of material for the bolts to grab.
Welding them on would be ideal, Iā€™m not ready for that.
You can look at pics of belly skids and try to get a sense of any overlap.
These rock hard ones would overlap the one mount (front-most) on mine that wraps under the bottom of the frame like all the genrights do. Most of the tnt mounts are just on the side of the frame

Jeep Gladiator Rock Rails Thread 4D88437D-8F9A-4BD4-BDBF-AE0BD6BC4A5B
Thats a super clean looking belly pan but why did they leave the open area on the bottom side of the drive shaft in the pic? Is it because aluminum wouldn't be strong enough on it's own there but steel is like Motobilt has sealed off?

Jeep Gladiator Rock Rails Thread 1614808441683

mx5red

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Firecracker JTR; 2020 DGC JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Thats a super clean looking belly pan but why did they leave the open area on the bottom side of the drive shaft in the pic? Is it because aluminum wouldn't be strong enough on it's own there but steel is like Motobilt has sealed off?

Jeep Gladiator Rock Rails Thread 1614808441683
Good question! Uhh maybe there isnā€™t anything that vital over there and they just tried to protect the exhaust? Their steel version looks the same.
I have nothing against motobilt, just passing along something I read from @Cypher
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/skid-plate-options-and-choices.40834/post-1091168

Sponsored

j.o.y.ride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Gladiator Overland
UGH. Why does Gen Right have to be exactly what I am looking for?! With shipping, tax, and install it's gonna be like $2,500! But I also was watching some trails we plan to go on where you need to use the slider as a pivot at some points. And I just told my wife you can save $1000 on the slider but then it doesn't do what you need and you end up with $4,000 in body damage.

Gen Right checks every box... frame only, bare metal, solid tubes (thicker than anyone else at .25" not 0.1875"), protudes far enough I don't need any side molding panels, hides the pinch seam, and has a wide step for the wife and kid.

Jeep Gladiator Rock Rails Thread 1615481837532

Jeep Gladiator Rock Rails Thread 1615481861741

TheSolarWizard

First Name
Memphis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3.0 JT
Occupation
Solar & EV infrastructure
UGH. Why does Gen Right have to be exactly what I am looking for?! With shipping, tax, and install it's gonna be like $2,500! But I also was watching some trails we plan to go on where you need to use the slider as a pivot at some points. And I just told my wife you can save $1000 on the slider but then it doesn't do what you need and you end up with $4,000 in body damage.

Gen Right checks every box... frame only, bare metal, solid tubes (thicker than anyone else at .25" not 0.1875"), protudes far enough I don't need any side molding panels, hides the pinch seam, and has a wide step for the wife and kid.

1615481837532.png

1615481861741.png
https://www.expeditiononestore.com/Jeep JT Gladiator 2019+ Rocker Guards ..Bare Metal

https://www.expeditiononestore.com/Jeep JT Gladiator 2019+ Rocker Guards ..Bare Metal

syreeves

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR 6MT, 2013 Volvo XC90, 2003 LR Disco
Occupation
Liquor Attorney. So not all bad...
For anyone that has the RockHard 4x4 sliders - I'm interested in opinions regarding angled up vs. angled down. Does either version work better as a side step too? I'm 5'10" and with a Mopar 2inch lift and 35s I'm just a tich too short to get out of my vehicle gracefully.
Pics below are from their website. I'm leaning toward an angled down version, in bare metal so I can coat with line-x before installation... any thoughts?
Jeep Gladiator Rock Rails Thread 1615482940630
Jeep Gladiator Rock Rails Thread 1615482813294

Jeep Gladiator Rock Rails Thread 1615482858997

My wife (former gymnast) at 5'2" looks good getting in and out no matter what... so I may not put a step on the passenger sidešŸ˜

Sponsored

DeezJT

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pending
Occupation
Process Engineer
I just emailed Roam right now regarding of the status if any. Last conversation i had with them was Aug 3rd 2020... A little over 7 months ago which they indicated "we do not have information on the JT steps yet but we will work on them soon". lol

Toyfrog

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave
For anyone that has the RockHard 4x4 sliders - I'm interested in opinions regarding angled up vs. angled down. Does either version work better as a side step too? I'm 5'10" and with a Mopar 2inch lift and 35s I'm just a tich too short to get out of my vehicle gracefully.
Pics below are from their website. I'm leaning toward an angled down version, in bare metal so I can coat with line-x before installation... any thoughts?

My wife (former gymnast) at 5'2" looks good getting in and out no matter what... so I may not put a step on the passenger sidešŸ˜
I was wondering the same thing? Looking at getting them, just donā€™t know if I want up or down.

Eazye

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Information Technology
Just added Rock Hard angled up to the Gladiator this evening. Other than the pucker factor from the possibility of breaking a body mount bolt, it was extremely easy and I was able to do it by myself in about 30-40 min (already had the stock sliders off). I was a little worried about the height using them as a step but I had no issues and my 9 year old was able to use them as well. Yes, they are body mounted but they seem like they will take some abuse! Pics arenā€™t great, finished when it was dark and didnā€™t take pics until the Grand Cherokee was back in the garage.

Jeep Gladiator Rock Rails Thread 07CA720B-5E8F-4C15-9DC9-AA25F717F6DE

Jeep Gladiator Rock Rails Thread 6DC2E2E8-9C59-46D1-97B2-2B4F4CB3C083

Jeep Gladiator Rock Rails Thread 2339F687-8455-4FE3-8256-A40A4BE04096

Jeep Gladiator Rock Rails Thread 1EE31527-50E1-42A5-9DE4-7222D357D0E5

Last edited:

Dav6662

First Name
Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Ribicon
Vehicle Showcase

I like those....have you looked at The Shrockworks sliders? They are extremely strong as well. They are made in Houston and I was able to pick them up and save the freight. They come powder coated and even with shipping I think you would be lower in price and get just as good of protection......

62CBAE8B-BF0D-4D5D-951C-CC5DFEDE945D.jpeg
Sponsored