Rock Slide Engineering Spy Photos

Tortooga Custom Works

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladator Launch Edition | 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
This thread died a while back. I’m very interested in these but curious how long they’ll operate, and whether dirt/dust will give them a short life. Whether after a year or two they just don’t work any more. My other big concern is being out on a trip, getting covered in mud/sand/whatever, then the steps get stuck out when I need the clearance.

Does anybody have any long term experience with these on another rig?

At $2800 for a set with the skid guards, this is a hard sale if they’re not rock solid for a very long time.
There are lots more reviews and threads on the JL Forums, since they've been around longer for the JL.

Here's a video from RSE:
Sponsored

AggieJeep

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Firecracker Red LE, 2012 JKUR Call of Duty, 1967 M715 (military Gladiator)
Vehicle Showcase
These are nice but I can’t get past the price, and what I feel is a bit of a hack with the extensions. I’ll wait to see what else comes along.

attworth

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘00 LR Disco II, ‘17 Toyota Sienna
These are nice but I can’t get past the price, and what I feel is a bit of a hack with the extensions. I’ll wait to see what else comes along.
The extension is a little weird, but doesn’t bother me that much. I just know when I’m on 37’s, my kids aren’t going to be able to get in with some standard sliders.

KrashEd

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
LE-Billet, 21 F150 Tremor, 98 Jeep XJ, 68 Bronco
The extension is a little weird, but doesn’t bother me that much. I just know when I’m on 37’s, my kids aren’t going to be able to get in with some standard sliders.
I put a set on this weekend. The extension doesn't bother me, and I don't know that it will matter if the skins are installed. Seems like smart manufacturing if you can make them work for two vehicles just by adding some bolt holes to the original slider then making extensions. They seem pretty heavy duty out of the box, but I wouldn't do anything crazy without the skins. Pricey, oh hell yes, but wife likes them to get in and out of her Jeep and that's seems like a good compromise to be able to lift the Jeep and put 37s on it. :turkey:

20190908_183024.jpg

attworth

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I put a set on this weekend. The extension doesn't bother me, and I don't know that it will matter if the skins are installed. Seems like smart manufacturing if you can make them work for two vehicles just by adding some bolt holes to the original slider then making extensions. They seem pretty heavy duty out of the box, but I wouldn't do anything crazy without the skins. Pricey, oh hell yes, but wife likes them to get in and out of her Jeep and that's seems like a good compromise to be able to lift the Jeep and put 37s on it. :turkey:

20190908_183024.jpg

Awesome! The only think I wish it had was a longer step so the wife can reach in the bed.

I’m assuming the top of the step is pretty sturdy? Will I be able to stand on the end near the rear tire and reach the top of a bed rack/cap for instance?

Sponsored

KrashEd

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Awesome! The only think I wish it had was a longer step so the wife can reach in the bed.

I’m assuming the top of the step is pretty sturdy? Will I be able to stand on the end near the rear tire and reach the top of a bed rack/cap for instance?
You can climb up the step to the top of the slider and reach the roof/front of bed. The slider stops just under the rear flare, so as long as you're holding onto something, you could step to the rear tire, just like any other slider. They are just as sturdy as anything else that mounts to the pinch seam/body mounts.

attworth

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You can climb up the step to the top of the slider and reach the roof/front of bed. The slider stops just under the rear flare, so as long as you're holding onto something, you could step to the rear tire, just like any other slider. They are just as sturdy as anything else that mounts to the pinch seam/body mounts.
Awesome, thanks for that!

Last question. Now that the money is gone and the steps are on, any regrets? It’s a big pill to swallow!

KrashEd

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Awesome, thanks for that!

Last question. Now that the money is gone and the steps are on, any regrets? It’s a big pill to swallow!
Negative. I took a look at what was available, ACE, Rock Hard, JCR, etc. All are nice and adequate for offroad. I even thought about making my own since we have the equipment, but wanted something low enough for her to comfortably get in when she's dressed up for work. Nothing really gave me that unless I made a detachable step for mine or someone else's slider. There are sliders/rails with steps out there, but I doubt they are up for anything but looking good. One brush with a rock takes care of that. Once I take care of some other things, I'll probably spring for the armor covers at some point, but not putting the side armor on as I don't want to drill into the tub.

The other thing I appreciate was the CS from Rock Slide. Had some questions during the install and they were super responsive and helped us out. I also left some feedback for them (markup in their instructions) which they said they would incorporate/ look at changing. Same with RubiTrux, who I bought the sliders from. They had them in stock and sent them out right away. Just good peeps all around.

attworth

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Negative. I took a look at what was available, ACE, Rock Hard, JCR, etc. All are nice and adequate for offroad. I even thought about making my own since we have the equipment, but wanted something low enough for her to comfortably get in when she's dressed up for work. Nothing really gave me that unless I made a detachable step for mine or someone else's slider. There are sliders/rails with steps out there, but I doubt they are up for anything but looking good. One brush with a rock takes care of that. Once I take care of some other things, I'll probably spring for the armor covers at some point, but not putting the side armor on as I don't want to drill into the tub.

The other thing I appreciate was the CS from Rock Slide. Had some questions during the install and they were super responsive and helped us out. I also left some feedback for them (markup in their instructions) which they said they would incorporate/ look at changing. Same with RubiTrux, who I bought the sliders from. They had them in stock and sent them out right away. Just good peeps all around.
Awesome! I really appreciate the in depth review.

smlobx

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR, F-350 diesel, Porsche Spyder, Model Y
Occupation
Semi retired consultant
Full disclosure- I have the AMP running boards on my F-350 with a 2” lift and love them...the platform is nice and wide providing plenty of support. Also since it’s on my crew cab full size truck I have no doubt that the Shorter Gladiator step could be easily supported.

So I just went on their site and it “appears” that they have a model that has in integrated rock rail..

https://www.amp-research.com/amp-re...board-specifically-designed-for-lifted-trucks

If someone is interested in a system like this a call to the manufacturer should be made to confirm.

BullDogge

First Name
Nope
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT, JK, WK2 TH, other Non-Jeeps.
Full disclosure- I have the AMP running boards on my F-350 with a 2” lift and love them...the platform is nice and wide providing plenty of support. Also since it’s on my crew cab full size truck I have no doubt that the Shorter Gladiator step could be easily supported.

So I just went on their site and it “appears” that they have a model that has in integrated rock rail..

https://www.amp-research.com/amp-re...board-specifically-designed-for-lifted-trucks

If someone is interested in a system like this a call to the manufacturer should be made to confirm.
Yeah powerstep xl. I looked at those. A. They are not meant to take the same beating as rse. B. Amps traditional boards have let me down enough that I quit using them on fleet vehicles and switch back to fixed steps.
Sponsored