Rubicon 392 hood going on my JT DZL

Clv22p

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave
They look the same. Hard to tell with the underside blocked. I wonder if you can get just the hydroguide

OP
OP
MNDZLJT

MNDZLJT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator 80th Anniversary Diesel
Occupation
Jeep Technician
They look the same. Hard to tell with the underside blocked. I wonder if you can get just the hydroguide
You can yes but cost is $600++ and it dumps on the driver side so the functional intake would be useless on a gas engine JT

Clv22p

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave
You can yes but cost is $600++ and it dumps on the driver side so the functional intake would be useless on a gas engine JT
Are you going to try and make it functional for your EcoDiesel?

Sponsored

OP
OP
MNDZLJT

MNDZLJT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Jeep Technician
Reactions: A 2

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Sport S Max Tow; Honda Element
The air intake on the 3.6 is on the passenger side. Wouldn't you want water dumped on the driver side, away from the air intake, batteries, and fuse box?

OP
OP
MNDZLJT

MNDZLJT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Jeep Technician
The air intake on the 3.6 is on the passenger side. Wouldn't you want water dumped on the driver side, away from the air intake, batteries, and fuse box?
My gladiator is a diesel so my intake is on the driver side

Sponsored

Jaxmax

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps....... 2021 Mojave , 2019 Wrangler
Occupation
Electrical Manager
I spent time at my dealer looking over a 392 Wrangler to see what is involved in putting the HydroGuide on my hood, I feel I could fairly easily make it cold air function on a 3.6, the actual throttle body is very close to same location, although I just want a functional hood scoop, to get some air through engine compartment and out. Only thing I could not confirm it the mounting studs or nuts are the same for both hoods, guess check of part number should show that. That is awesome you got the hood!....Jack

OP
OP
MNDZLJT

MNDZLJT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Jeep Technician
I spent time at my dealer looking over a 392 Wrangler to see what is involved in putting the HydroGuide on my hood, I feel I could fairly easily make it cold air function on a 3.6, the actual throttle body is very close to same location, although I just want a functional hood scoop, to get some air through engine compartment and out. Only thing I could not confirm it the mounting studs or nuts are the same for both hoods, guess check of part number should show that. That is awesome you got the hood!....Jack
All of the intake parts alone run $600-700 😲

Jaxmax

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps....... 2021 Mojave , 2019 Wrangler
Occupation
Electrical Manager
Yes, I heard that, I already have the Mopar CAI and like it, I might just look over the parts list and get a couple of the pieces I need to get air into engine compartment or I’ll go with modifying the removable rear of Mojave scoop grill, and fabricate a thin stainless plenum to divert the air. Dealer said the hood was crazy heavy with Hydroguide, but I pointed out it is a steel hood did not feel that much heavier.

Last edited:

rharr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JTRD 3" RKK lift, (former) 95 XJ 5sp 8" lift
maybe this is a dumb question but what does ram air do for you on a turbo'd motor?...nothing the turbo will be building the pressure it needs regardless of rammed air.

You would do better to have the rammed air dump over a 2nd intercooler to help better cool the turbo charge like how the early 2000's WRX's did. The rammed air hood will just be a glorified cold air intake. This still goes out the window some what with the fact the EGR dumps hot unfresh air back into the intake anyways. Cold air intake and rammed air induction seem more appropriate for a gas motor not a diesel.

The ecoD intercooler already has full access to rammed air, as it sits in front of the radiator behind the ac condenser (the one with the V name on the sticker)

It's a interesting project, take plenty of photos, I plan to open up my Rubicon hood vents help give the hot engine bay air another path to escape.

I will make a correction to this post, i was piggy backing off someone saying ram air, after looking up Hydro Gluide it helps keep water out of the intake when bashing through deep water.

MPMB

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR - SG
Occupation
Check your inbox.
maybe this is a dumb question but what does ram air do for you on a turbo'd motor?...nothing the turbo will be building the pressure it needs regardless of rammed air.

You would do better to have the rammed air dump over a 2nd intercooler to help better cool the turbo charge like how the early 2000's WRX's did. The rammed air hood will just be a glorified cold air intake. This still goes out the window some what with the fact the EGR dumps hot unfresh air back into the intake anyways. Cold air intake and rammed air induction seem more appropriate for a gas motor not a diesel.

The ecoD intercooler already has full access to rammed air, as it sits in front of the radiator behind the ac condenser (the one with the V name on the sticker)

It's a interesting project, take plenty of photos, I plan to open up my Rubicon hood vents help give the hot engine bay air another path to escape.

I will make a correction to this post, i was piggy backing off someone saying ram air, after looking up Hydro Gluide it helps keep water out of the intake when bashing through deep water.
The straighter you can make the air the better. Less time being heated by the engine and turbo, etc.
Sponsored