Sponsored

Rubicon vs Mojave - Accurate video?

PetePetePete

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Freedom... looking at a Gladiator...

Thoughts?
Sponsored

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Delivery Driver
Great trucks! Or are you opening up the can of worms of Mojave vs Rubicon?

OP
OP

PetePetePete

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Great trucks! Or are you opening up the can of worms of Mojave vs Rubicon?
Trying to decide between the two. Identical pricing. I don't see us doing much in the way of rock crawling. So leaning toward Mojave.

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I drove both in the process of deciding.

I am coming from a Volvo and an Audi before that. The Mojave goes down the road MUCH better.

If you are going to use this as a daily driver and are not used to driving a Jeep, I suspect the Mojave will be easier to live with.

Just avoid the optional MT tires. ATs are much quieter.

I alluded to it above, but if some guy with 5 jeeps in his signature, who currently drives on 37" mudders tells you that his Rubicon drives better on the road than any other vehicle he's owned. Believe him. But that doesn't really say much. Ha.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Oh, no - not again!
Thread 23, which is better (subtitled, I'm trying to decide)

In the end after multiple threads and hundreds of posts - only the buyer can decide - by TEST DRIVING.
Anyone who owns one or the other will of course suggest one is better - the one they own! To say otherwise is admitting a less than perfect choice.

Basically, look at what the person who is responding actually owns - they don't have to say a word, that will be what they feel is best.

Sponsored

OP
OP

PetePetePete

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Oh, no - not again!
Thread 23, which is better (subtitled, I'm trying to decide)

In the end after multiple threads and hundreds of posts - only the buyer can decide - by TEST DRIVING.
Anyone who owns one or the other will of course suggest one is better - the one they own! To say otherwise is admitting a less than perfect choice.

Basically, look at what the person who is responding actually owns - they don't have to say a word, that will be what they feel is best.
That's a fair reply IMHO.

Coming at from a different angle. Which would say is a better "value"?

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Whats a better value is determined by whether the extras each offers actually adds any value for YOU.

I don't need lockers or detachable sway bars.
I do want the best possible ride and handling on the street while not giving up off road ability.

I also like to go fast. I raced motorcycles, cars, and bicycles. I wasn't necessarily good. But I enjoyed it.

If you buy the Mojave and will then have to install a 4:1 transfer case, front locker, and detachable roll bar, then the Rubicon is obviously the better value for you.

In my case, the difference between an overland configured the way I wanted and a Mojave configured similarly was close enough that the rear locker, better shocks, nicer seats, steering wheel, leather option color, cool hood, larger wheels and tires, was more than worth it.

Last edited:
OP
OP

PetePetePete

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Whats a better value is determined by whether the extras each offers actually adds any value for YOU.

I don't need lockers or detachable roll bars.
I do want the best possible ride and handling on the street while not giving up off road ability.

I also like to go fast. I raced motorcycles, cars, and bicycles. I wasn't necessarily good. But I enjoyed it.

Excellent thoughts. We will use it mostly on the road and towing a small fiberglass trailer. We will also go boondocking so some reasonable off-road but very minimal rock crawling and nothing like those "razor" rocks that the video has.

I really like the reviews as to how the Moj is on the road.

I do have another question.

Talk to me about those Fox shocks... seems like more "parts" that can fail. Is that a reasonable concern or pretty much a non-issue?

Trickster

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT HA, 22 Volvo V60 CC, 76 Fiat 124,
Occupation
Heavy equipment operator
May want to consider service costs if keeping it long term.
Not sure how long shocks will last for you but apparently the Mojaves
are an expensive touch.

Phishs

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 JTM, 21 JTR (traded)
I researched and test drove both extensively and the Rubicon was the clear winner for me. I’m surprised the Mojave is the same price as the Rubicon tbh.

Sponsored

OP
OP

PetePetePete

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I researched and test drove both extensively and the Rubicon was the clear winner for me. I’m surprised the Mojave is the same price as the Rubicon tbh.
Can you tell me what factors brought you to that conclusion?

OP
OP

PetePetePete

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
May want to consider service costs if keeping it long term.
Not sure how long shocks will last for you but apparently the Mojaves
are an expensive touch.
Can you elaborate?

Phishs

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 JTM, 21 JTR (traded)
Can you tell me what factors brought you to that conclusion?
Its all personal preference but for me, it was several things.
1. Tows 1,000 more lbs
2. The strengthened frame is never explained so it’s a guess on what it means.
3. The stronger knuckles are a non factor to me.
4. The OEM Mojave wheels are my least favorite out of all the trims.
5. The on road experience wasn’t all that different to me on the several test drives that I did.
6. The front locker and sway bar were worth more to me than the nicer shocks.

The things I did like better in the Mojave:
1. Higher 4L ratio
2. Shocks
3. Orange accents

It does seem like I’m in a minority on this forum. The Mojave seems to be the favorite on here as the latest and greatest. I would test drive them both if you’re able.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase

That's even more subjective. Value depends on what you need and how much YOU value it.
For example, for ME, neither was a better value. Why? Because I didn't truly NEED what either of them have.

Why would I need a Rubicon for why I wanted a truck and something that could hit a trail or dirt/rock path now and then? Electronic disconnect for the sway bar? Not in Iowa - and if I moved, I could add those manual disconnect.
Locker? Nope - there's been enough debate on that to up the temperature of the Earth's atmosphere 10 degrees for the next 20 years (no conclusion, but it appears unless you are truly hard-core, it's not "needed", just nice)
Mojave - ride? Again, subjective. My wife, our friends, my son and his family all agree my Overland rides like a car, comfortable as heck, easy on 8 to 11 hour drives. If ride was the only reason to buy one over the other - springs and shocks can handle a lot of that, but I feel my own truck as as "cushy" a ride as I've ever seen in a truck. Again, Mojave owners will argue that to the death in many cases because to admit mine rides great would be an admission their truck wasn't the very best for everyone.

Value is a personal thing - no one can tell you which is the better value unless you are talking should I buy the 28 pound box of Slide cat litter, or the 40 pound? In that case, the 40 is cheaper per ounce/pound. That's an easy one.

I really hope we don't get into that "this will "hold value better" bull crap talk again. That's only what people say to justify their choice - and it's been disproven, shown to be a fallacy.
Besides, in a pandemic world short on vehicles all over the world, short on employees, crazy stuff going on and only 2 years into things - how can an arm chair expert tell you what's what?

You must make a list of your REQUIREMENTS (not what you want, start with why you even need a pickup to begin with), and list how either of them, or even a different truck, meets your NEEDS.
Then go after wants - which will do what you WANT it to do. Where do you live, how do you drive, what are your roads or weather like.
If you wont someone to tell you which is the better value, ask someone who doesn't own one and has no horse in the race.
I say what I have is the better value - based on my use of a small truck, my needs, and finally my wants.
I don't need or even want either of the other - so they can't be a better value than what I have, and god only knows what prices will be like in 3 or 5 years (and anyone who buys based even in large part on "resale value" later isn't a wise buyer of vehicles, IMO)

There, that'll piss off the armchair economists and a few others.
Sponsored