Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Plus you need to have the factory link the option into the UConnect software. (Perhaps using the TAZER system, it can be linked but I don't know for certain).
Jscan software, AlfaOBD software, or probably even tazer. Jscan and AlfaOBD can make any of those settings changes. It's a menu choice in the BCM (not in UCONNECT), yes/no, present/not present, that sort of thing. And then the settings will appear in the UCONNECT settings menu.
Settings changes are not made in UCONNECT like people seem to believe.
Uconnect is the OS/Operating System for the radio and so on, and is where you see customer settings choices and menus.
The actual changes - the options, settings to enable things or tell the truck something is present, are in the modules such as the BCM - Body control module. There are several such modules or systems that all work together.
When you add switches, you aren't programming or changing uconnect, you are changing the choices in the body control module, and making settings for how the switches work appear in the CSM - the consumer menus in uconnect.

I still have the removable plug on the bottom of the battery tray. Iā€™m assuming this means I have the smaller battery, which will be upgraded since I took advantage of the 20% off Badlands 12k this past weekend. It wonā€™t be installed until I get the front end issue squared away.

Iā€™m open to recommendationsā€¦AGM, Lithiumā€¦brand etcā€¦
If you have that spacer, then yeah, you have the smaller of the two crank batteries.
These are configured to work with AGM batteries and the charging requirements for AGM.
I know people have put lithium in them - but there are also multiple lithium chemistries so one has to be careful there. My charger has a setting for lithium batteries but they warn to check the chemistry of the lithium battery as using it to charge the other types of lithium batteries can result in something really bad.
The IBS, PCM settings and so on are configured for AGM - it may work with certain lithium but if I ever have to change batteries in any of our Jeeps - it will be back to AGM - likely an Optima or similar -NAPA AGM are very highly rated batteries, made in USA, top of the line and I'd probably go that route personally. Then I'd not have to deal with less than ideal charging patterns the Jeep is configured for.
Like I say - people go other routes, "oh, but it works fine" is not the same as it's ideal, or getting the best life you could, that sort of thing. Working isn't the same as working as the battery actually likes, and for the least heat and optimum conditions for the longest possible battery life.
I love it when I see "it works fine" because all they know is that it starts for them, not that they could be getting even better results and maybe 1 or 2 more years out of the battery.
I do suggest a lot of research if you decide to change battery technology - a lithium battery isn't a lithium battery isn't a lithium battery. They aren't all the same - and some will require charging criteria the Jeep just won't deliver because it's expecting to see AGM and the battery types programmed in are for AGM, and the sizes the factory uses.

I've dumped the logs and settings from my own Gladiator - the settings are fairly specific, including the amp/hour ratings and battery capacities and types are mentioned in the settings.
IMO, if it wasn't important, there wouldn't be settings telling the system what it's got, the SoC to look for, the charging temperature to look for and so on.
Sponsored

Timoleon

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon, 2021 Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Tech
My wife's Wrangler Sahara Unlimited had AUX switches in it. Not sure why, but it is handy... My Gladiator Rubicon has them and I use them for a few things....

Dougstdig

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜21 JTRD - '08 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4
Jscan software, AlfaOBD software, or probably even tazer. Jscan and AlfaOBD can make any of those settings changes. It's a menu choice in the BCM (not in UCONNECT), yes/no, present/not present, that sort of thing. And then the settings will appear in the UCONNECT settings menu.
Settings changes are not made in UCONNECT like people seem to believe.
Uconnect is the OS/Operating System for the radio and so on, and is where you see customer settings choices and menus.
The actual changes - the options, settings to enable things or tell the truck something is present, are in the modules such as the BCM - Body control module. There are several such modules or systems that all work together.
When you add switches, you aren't programming or changing uconnect, you are changing the choices in the body control module, and making settings for how the switches work appear in the CSM - the consumer menus in uconnect.

If you have that spacer, then yeah, you have the smaller of the two crank batteries.
These are configured to work with AGM batteries and the charging requirements for AGM.
I know people have put lithium in them - but there are also multiple lithium chemistries so one has to be careful there. My charger has a setting for lithium batteries but they warn to check the chemistry of the lithium battery as using it to charge the other types of lithium batteries can result in something really bad.
The IBS, PCM settings and so on are configured for AGM - it may work with certain lithium but if I ever have to change batteries in any of our Jeeps - it will be back to AGM - likely an Optima or similar -NAPA AGM are very highly rated batteries, made in USA, top of the line and I'd probably go that route personally. Then I'd not have to deal with less than ideal charging patterns the Jeep is configured for.
Like I say - people go other routes, "oh, but it works fine" is not the same as it's ideal, or getting the best life you could, that sort of thing. Working isn't the same as working as the battery actually likes, and for the least heat and optimum conditions for the longest possible battery life.
I love it when I see "it works fine" because all they know is that it starts for them, not that they could be getting even better results and maybe 1 or 2 more years out of the battery.
I do suggest a lot of research if you decide to change battery technology - a lithium battery isn't a lithium battery isn't a lithium battery. They aren't all the same - and some will require charging criteria the Jeep just won't deliver because it's expecting to see AGM and the battery types programmed in are for AGM, and the sizes the factory uses.

I've dumped the logs and settings from my own Gladiator - the settings are fairly specific, including the amp/hour ratings and battery capacities and types are mentioned in the settings.
IMO, if it wasn't important, there wouldn't be settings telling the system what it's got, the SoC to look for, the charging temperature to look for and so on.
Very informative as usual thank you for taking the time to enter the reply. So my next question is spurred by a comment that you made. If the settings are specific with regard to Power ratings, if I increased the size or class battery is there something that would need to be flashed to take advantage of the additional size or will it automatically detect the additional amp hours available?

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Very informative as usual thank you for taking the time to enter the reply. So my next question is spurred by a comment that you made. If the settings are specific with regard to Power ratings, if I increased the size or class battery is there something that would need to be flashed to take advantage of the additional size or will it automatically detect the additional amp hours available?
Until I try to get more info, maybe with my truck running, the info I have gotten from the BCM is rather cryptic. Battery type is 22 (choices in the dozens) the amp/hour ratings in the BCM make no sense (I haven't pulled mine apart to see what these REALLY have in them - what the exact current batteries are for ah and other rating. No one really goes by CCA any more it seems, and when I try to compare batteries, I get "my truck has xx cca" and yet the batteries out there are rated ah and not cca.

And I found this in another forum - apparently Jeep isn't the only one with troubles related to batteries. There seem to be other problems out there when I try to dig up the "battery type" coding.

Like this quote -
That article by Hella claims that swapping the Giulia OEM Bosch IBS for a Hella IBS should work. It also claims that the IBS should work for a LiFePO4 battery, although it notes that SOC cannot be determined and of course SOC is kind-of a fundamental parameter needed to properly charge a lithium battery.

Soccermike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JT GCMLE '19 JLU '08 JKU
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
The power ratings on the aux switches are tied to fuse ratings, wire size, and wire temp rise, not source power ratings. Pulling too much current thru a harness leads to nasty fires that destroy vehicles from the inside.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
The power ratings on the aux switches are tied to fuse ratings, wire size, and wire temp rise, not source power ratings. Pulling too much current thru a harness leads to nasty fires that destroy vehicles from the inside.
Yeah, not sure where your aiming at or who responding to, but unless I missed a post (very possible!) no one said otherwise.
Fuses protect wiring, nothing else. Not the device, not the lights, not the radio, wiring is what fuses and breakers protect.
The max draw is based on wire size, wire length, and the fuse is sized accordingly to protect the wiring.

The battery size is increased because it is expected that people will be wiring lights, radios, who knows what else, and may not have the engine running, so they up the battery capacity.
It was like me in the 80s running in the car stereo contests - you'd better have a large capacity battery for a day of showing off, judging, getting sound pressure measurements and so on. You needed a decent battery.
I protected my amps and stereo equipment wiring with 2 35 amp breakers mounted next to the battery. If anything tried to pull too much for the big wires I had, the breakers would prevent the wires from acting like a charcoal grill lighter and burning my Comanche to the ground.

Similar to this but larger breakers and much heavier wire - I believe I had double 10 gauge running to the amps.

Jeep Gladiator Rubicon with no aux switches? 1655994087588

Wiring 101. It's what I do šŸ˜
Sponsored