First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Construction Manager
I just purchased a new 2022 JT Rubicon and will run 40x13.50R20 Maxxis Razr MT (39.8" tall x 14.1" wide, 93 lbs.) https://www.maxxis.com/us/tire/razr-mt/ on Method 105 Beadlock 20x9 aluminum wheels https://www.methodracewheels.com/products/105-beadlock-matte-black?variant=13863893336125
So I'm planning on these mods for my Dana 44s, but would love to consider more cost effective and durable options so please share your thoughts. What would you recommend to do differently, and what part(s) haven't I considered? Thanks!

Sponsored

Last edited:

jjmstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator LE
Add a little more money and just go with 1 ton axles 60/60, 60/80 etc etc. You are close to 1 ton money with all those changes you are planning on doing and in the end you still have D44's.

heftysmurf

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Add a little more money and just go with 1 ton axles 60/60, 60/80 etc etc. You are close to 1 ton money with all those changes you are planning on doing and in the end you still have D44's.
Agreed. Having personally gone through most of the upgrades on my JKU, I can confirm that in time, the front axle smiled. Do it right once is my way forward now.

OP
OP

Frenzy

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Construction Manager
I concur this assessment should be a primary consideration prior to pulling the trigger, and not having done axle swap previously I need to research on cost of parts and labor cost. In addition to my lack of experience with an axle swap, not having all the right tools, or sufficient time, at 57 I simply don't have the energy anymore for that level of effort. I will study this option and repost. Thanks!

Kindafearless

First Name
Elise
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rublicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Enginerd
It also depends on what you are doing with it. Lots of examples of people running 40s on the road without any/many upgrades. Yes, yes, not ideal... but lots of folks doing it and it doesn't cost 20k.

Agree with the above though. If you are already thinking about swapping axles, might as well just go with 60s.

If you are offroading (or just stopping on the gas pedal a lot), your inner axle shafts and drive shafts are the common weak points. I didn't see driveshafts above. Lots of great options. Adams and Tom Woods are well known suppliers (besides Dana).

RCVs are amazing, you will feel the difference in 4wd. You should check them out, instead of your standard inners.

If you are swapping... be aware that there are a TON of axle options out there. If you are going that direction, do yourself a favor and checkout what the field looks like. There are some cool portal D60 options, Spidertrax, Currie, Ford SuperDuty, and lots of axle builders.

Sponsored

bakobobby

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator California
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Doer of things
When I hear “you are almost there” I wanna see some price breakdowns. I looked at crate axles from a few manufacturers and the cost was far more than beefing up my 44s. These axles can take some abuse the current gen on the JTs. Have a lot of upgrades that put them nearer a 60. There is not a lot of info on folks blasting their 44 axles yet but I have seen many folks running them and putting them to work off road. My two cents is run it till you break it.

Kindafearless

First Name
Elise
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Enginerd
What bakobobby said. For consideration in addition to what you have and has been mentioned:

Reid Knuckles
HD Ball Joints

Also note: I haven't seen a reason to do my gearing yet. The transmission is pretty good. My truck is a trailer queen though, so I guess take that with a grain of salt.

OP
OP

Frenzy

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Construction Manager
What bakobobby said. For consideration in addition to what you have and has been mentioned:

Reid Knuckles
HD Ball Joints

Also note: I haven't seen a reason to do my gearing yet. The transmission is pretty good. My truck is a trailer queen though, so I guess take that with a grain of salt.
I'm considering Reid knuckles, had them on my JK build.

OP
OP

Frenzy

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Construction Manager
I'd want deeper than 5.13 for 40s.
I know there are mixed opinions on gearing. On my JK I ran 37's with 4.88s and thought that was close to stock. If I were to run 38s I'd feel like I was on the fence and could go either way. For 39s I think 5.13 will give me what I need without overly reducing contact with the face of the gears, and with 40's I'd feel on the fence again. It seems to me that no matter what mod one makes to improve in an area you almost always expose a new weakness in another.

Last edited:

Sponsored

calipoontappa

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
When I hear “you are almost there” I wanna see some price breakdowns. I looked at crate axles from a few manufacturers and the cost was far more than beefing up my 44s. These axles can take some abuse the current gen on the JTs. Have a lot of upgrades that put them nearer a 60. There is not a lot of info on folks blasting their 44 axles yet but I have seen many folks running them and putting them to work off road. My two cents is run it till you break it.
I agree. I’m seeing 15k for both front and rear…I’d also have to replace my wheels so another 3k on top of that.

bakobobby

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator California
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Doer of things
See how it runs with 40s on the stock 4.10s and report back ;) An increase in sample size of folks doing so can only help here on the forum. Give you time to decide if you wanna go 5.13 or 5.39:muscle:

Kindafearless

First Name
Elise
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Enginerd
See how it runs with 40s on the stock 4.10s and report back ;) An increase in sample size of folks doing so can only help here on the forum. Give you time to decide if you wanna go 5.13 or 5.39:muscle:
I’m picking up my 40s on Thursday! Will report back :P

Kindafearless

First Name
Elise
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Enginerd
After running the 40s on 4.10s all weekend, here are my thoughts:

As usual, the transmission still does a great job. I didn’t notice any hunting and I put ~100 highway miles on this weekend running chores for the family.

I can still see 7th if not going uphill, but never 8th.

If you don’t have a lead foot, gas mileage only dropped a little. No huge 2-3 mpg losses.

I did have to throw my Spidertrax spacers on. It was surprising what started rubbing: The front bumper and the rear sway bar links. I think this was mostly due to the increased width and the big lugs on the side of the Coopers though.

I have some adulting to do for the next couple weekends, but I’ll have the truck off-road soon. We’ll see how the 40s change that!

Last edited:
OP
OP

Frenzy

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Construction Manager
After running the 40s on 4.10s all weekend, here are my thoughts:

As usual, the transmission still does a great job. I didn’t notice any hunting and I put ~100 highway miles on this weekend running chores for the family.

I can still see 7th if not going uphill, but never 8th.

If you don’t have a lead foot, gas mileage only dropped a little. No huge 2-3 mpg losses.

I did have to throw my Spidertrax spacers on. It was surprising what started rubbing: The front bumper and the rear sway bar links. I think this was mostly do to the increased width and the big lugs on the side of the Coopers though.

I have some adulting to do for the next couple weekends, but I’ll have the truck off-road soon. We’ll see how the 40s change that!
I'm surprised to not hear there was a sense of power loss or a sluggish feel. Your post makes me question my plan of upgrading to a 5.13 gear set. I appreciate you sharing the experience, as I am several weeks away from mounting 40's and curious to see what your thoughts are after a day out on the trails. Thanks
Sponsored