Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bmw x4, bmw 330xi, jeep Gladiator willys
Occupation
Homemaker
Maybe a stupid(er?) Idea....

How about buying some extra door hinges and mounting them to the rear doors or tailgate maybe? Somewhere else?

Could atleast take off the front and store them right on board. Would have to come up with a way to "shut" them so they don't swing around.

I dunno. I could see it. The rears might fit in the bed, layed flat, wrapped in a moving blanket. Then the two fronts mounted on the tailgate looking like odd tailgate french doors.

Just thinking outside that ol box a bit.
Sponsored

OP
OP
ScottBeach

ScottBeach

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator sport s
Occupation
Engineer
I have no place to store the trailer. I live at the beach 2 garage slots filled. 1 assigned spot for guests and no private driveway to park in

OP
OP
ScottBeach

ScottBeach

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator sport s
Occupation
Engineer
Danielspivy. Thanks. I think that might work. Makes the truck to long to park in my garage but i wouldnt need it on then. I need to look into that. Thanks again

sharpsicle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland, 2002 VTX1800
I'd be curious what it ends up looking like. I like the principle of the idea, but even with the hitch-mounted solution I just don't think it's going to operate well. One of the great things about stripping down the Gladiator is that the lines on the truck when it's naked are fantastic. I could imagine that putting the doors upright in the bed or upright on a hitch mount is going to destroy those nice body lines that we're all so fond of.

Not to mention, having anything that size upright either in the bed or on the hitch for this truck is going to be a giant wind sail. The JL works okay for this because of the proximity to the rear window/roof line. The natural air path goes over the hitch and doors. For the Gladiator, though, that's not the case. Unless you get these doors mounted as close to the cab of the truck as you can, it's going to get real interesting real fast when you drive around.

If it were me, I would have mats and blankets in the truck so that when I wanted to take the doors off, I would stack them upright at the front of the bed and ratchet-strap them forward to secure them. No fancy contraptions, no "wind-sail" effect of being too far away from the cab. No chance of them swinging around.

Sponsored

Trauma PA

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Willys, 2021 Audi Q3
Occupation
Trauma Surgery Physician Assistant
I’m gonna be blunt. I see what you are trying to accomplish but it’s a stupid idea.

sharpsicle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Also, remember that these are the door dimensions:

Front: 37½" x 45½"
Rear: 30½" x 45¾"

So you are going to have them sticking up from the base of the bed by 4 feet or more when you include the clearance for the mounting bracket. That's worth reconsidering, even for my "ratchet strap" idea.

@ShadowsPapa is really on the right path when he talks about storing them in the bed but not upright. That's the real path to success here, finding a way to lay them down in the bed without damage.

jeepin48

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Overland 3.0L
Occupation
Engineer
I agree with the post above. Lay the doors flat somehow. Rear doors on bottom and front on top for the mirrors to stick up. ...... Or have them hinges down. Make pin holes on the bed floor and some uprights 38" high to keep them upright. If you mount that all to a sheet of plywood you could slide it our when not in use ..... Lots of planning and trying to make that happen.

sharpsicle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Problem with that (beyond the previously mentioned height issues) is as soon as you start driving, the doors are banging into each other. These work great stationary but are not going to translate well into a moving vehicle.

I agree with the post above. Lay the doors flat somehow. Rear doors on bottom and front on top for the mirrors to stick up. ...... Or have them hinges down. Make pin holes on the bed floor and some uprights 38" high to keep them upright. If you mount that all to a sheet of plywood you could slide it our when not in use ..... Lots of planning and trying to make that happen.
I like this idea. Almost like building wood-framed "slots" for each door?

Sponsored

morejeepsthanicancount

First Name
Hunter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT
Vehicle Showcase

ZTMAN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F150, 2016 JKU WW
Keep in mind, you do not need to take all four doors off. I just take off the front two and the freedom panels. Same feeling as doorless to me.
That way you only have to store two doors.

cuellar13

First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 RAM, 2021 Bronco Big Bend, 1966 GMC Stepside
Occupation
Director of Recruitment for Pharma/Biotech/Device Consulting Firm
The only thing I can suggest is a local storage unit[by the kids house]. You can get very small units for like $30 a month.
exactly my thoughts too

Ogre_FL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wranger JL 2 Door, Gladiator 80th
While I dont think a bed mounted storage rack is a bad idea I do question if its really needed.

Why do you think you need a garage to take the doors off?
Just prop them up against any wall(s) or any where you can find inside your kids place.
Do they have balcony's or hallways?
I have left them in hotel rooms when traveling.

Heck bring a tarp and a cable lock and prop them up outside somewhere.