Shifting Issue into 4WD

jml407

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland
Do you have to me moving to shift into 4WD? I cannot do it standing still. Thanks for the update
Sponsored

JP1

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLU Rubicon 4xe
Build Thread
Link
TOTALLY INEXPERIENCED:
BUT when I took a JLU Rubicon out for a ride, I experienced the same.
Sales kid, said crawl forward and try, and it worked.
He said it's not old-school must be stopped before shifting.
He also said it'll loosen up with time.

JT614

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Gladiator Overland '14 JGC Summit '04 TJ Rubi
Vehicle Showcase
Do you have to me moving to shift into 4WD? I cannot do it standing still. Thanks for the update
I had to yank hard just after hitting the gas. Much tougher to get into gear than my old JGC but it popped right in.

JeepFoxhound

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
This little part called the linkage bushing is a weak point in the transfer case system it's under the cowl...if you yank too hard you can break it left my buddy stranded at work had to go get it for him at the dealership and then have it installed cost 1.00 but it was hell to get it in..... After I got my JKU brand new mine was hard to shift also so I made it a bi weekly thing to shift into 4wd and drive around grass/gravel if I wasn't wheeling so it can loosen up and yes it helps to be crawling a little to shift into 4wd....this is the part....

linkage bushing.JPG

RedTRex

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU / 2014 WK2 Diesel
TOTALLY INEXPERIENCED:
BUT when I took a JLU Rubicon out for a ride, I experienced the same.
Sales kid, said crawl forward and try, and it worked.
He said it's not old-school must be stopped before shifting.
He also said it'll loosen up with time.
I agree.

Sponsored

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Going from 2H to 4H and vise versa is easy at any speed, as long as no tires are slipping.

To shift to 4L you need to be in neutral with the vehicle moving at 2 miles per hour. Otherwise you will stress the linkage and bind it up.

Renegade

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT
Build Thread
Link
Going from 2H to 4H and vise versa is easy at any speed, as long as no tires are slipping.

To shift to 4L you need to be in neutral with the vehicle moving at 2 miles per hour. Otherwise you will stress the linkage and bind it up.
This is correct for most any manual transfer case. To be more specific when going into 4-Low range: while rolling at around 2 mph, shift the transmission into neutral, shift the t-case into Low, then shift the transmission back into gear. Do the same to go back into High.

Chance_P

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR
This little part called the linkage bushing is a weak point in the transfer case system it's under the cowl...if you yank too hard you can break it left my buddy stranded at work had to go get it for him at the dealership and then have it installed cost 1.00 but it was hell to get it in..... After I got my JKU brand new mine was hard to shift also so I made it a bi weekly thing to shift into 4wd and drive around grass/gravel if I wasn't wheeling so it can loosen up and yes it helps to be crawling a little to shift into 4wd....this is the part....

linkage bushing.JPG
They carried this over from the JK???? :( Wow

I'd love to say this POS design didn't result in me ending up stuck in N in the middle of no where in CO, and then cause me to get burnt to hell on my forearm getting my tcase back into gear.... But it did do just that.

ACAD_Cowboy

First Name
Francis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 jkur
Stiff shifting is pretty normal at first. The more you shift the looser it gets.

The linkage is cable so if the chassis or drivetrain is twisted up any it can get a little bound up too.

From 2h to 4h should drop in at any reasonable speed. Going from 4h to 4l I’ve always found it best to be moving slightly and keep the transmission unloaded either by clutch or N if automatic; goose it then quick to neutral and slap it into 4l. The manual warns that some noise is to be expected but the amount of noise is all about how loaded it is and how fast you are moving.

Chadnutz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 F-350 4x4
I have I have never shifted into 4 Low at any speed other than stopped.

Mazda B2600i or F-350. Both had shifters, and both were manuals.

Sponsored

Renegade

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT
Build Thread
Link
I have I have never shifted into 4 Low at any speed other than stopped.

Mazda B2600i or F-350. Both had shifters, and both were manuals.
The T-case isn't synchronized, so if everything doesn't line up exactly, the motion allows the gears to mesh more easily while being shifted. It's pretty much always been this way in Jeep pert-time cases.

ACAD_Cowboy

First Name
Francis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 jkur
All those razor sharp factory gear profiles won’t tolerate just being stuffed it to mesh at a stand still, the small motion of the drive line without an engine load will give them some progressive interaction and they will start to bed and conform to each other. Totally normal. And the noise will stop being so serious as well. Also totally normal.

Using the Rubicon as an example it takes 4 turns of the transmission output shaft to get 1 turn of the transfer case output shaft. So if the transmission output is spinning it’s going to make an awful racket unless you timed it just right where as if the transmission is in neutral or clutched and the wheels are turning now the slowly turning transfer case gear has an easier time mating to the unloaded but able to have sympathetic motion transmission.

drogers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-250

linkage bushing.JPG

Wow, I can’t believe that little bugger didn’t die with the JK! Wranglers have been stuck in 4hi by that little piece of genius engineering for almost 2 decades, and FCA decides to keep it?

Arghhhhh

Hemi

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Rubicon JK, 2020 Gladiator
Wow, I can’t believe that little bugger didn’t die with the JK! Wranglers have been stuck in 4hi by that little piece of genius engineering for almost 2 decades, and FCA decides to keep it?

Arghhhhh
Someone please tell me they didn't also keep the half moon clips on the u-joints on the front axles at the hubs
Sponsored