Teakus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLURD, 2022 JTRD
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
The purpose is to get the wheelbase of the JL with a greatly reduced departure angle. People doing this mod will not be hauling plywood. This is mainly for the Rock crawling crowd
Sponsored

Kindafearless

First Name
Elise
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rublicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Enginerd
I hear "just get a JL" a lot on here. The funny thing is.... on the trails all the holes are where JL and JK wheelbases have tore up the trail. My bobbed JT just rolls right through all of those obstacles, while the built JK/JLs in our group always get stuck...

My truck also climbs better, I haul a full size cooler in my bed, have room to throw a RTT without adding height, and we toss things like trash bags from our afternoon meals in the bed (that I'd rather not have in the cab with me).

The Motobilt bed does sacrifice a lot of bed space, but bobbed JTs rock (get it :P).

montechie

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 LJ Rubicon, 2022 JT Rubicon
Occupation
Writer of code, designer of things
Looks cool to me but it's functionally a JKU at that point. Just get one of those.

I'm sweating going to the 5' bed from my 5'7" Ram as it is!
Haha, going from a 6' Taco bed to the 5' bed I had serious tiny bed sweats. I measured all the JT bed dimensions and made a mockup out of cardboard and pallets in my garage to see if my stuff would fit.

montechie

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 LJ Rubicon, 2022 JT Rubicon
Occupation
Writer of code, designer of things
Can you get a camper shell for it,,, (JLU)
You actually could, OVRLND who did my non-bobbed JT, does some interesting custom popup shells. They've done a 90s Bronco and a Gen 1 4runner. Not sure how practical it would be, but at least as good as a Ursa Minor on a JL.

bastage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S w/ Max Tow
Vehicle Showcase
Lots of hate.. And the only thing I hate about it is that I dont already have one on order. The bed is still big enough for my regular usage & solves a big pain point while out playing. Plus will fit better in a lot of modern track home garages being a foot shorter.

Sponsored

Summitsearcher

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Stingrey JTR
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
https://www.americansafarijxl.com
These are pretty awesome and removable if you want to switch back
“The revolutionary design of the American Safari JXL™allows for all of the convenient uses of everyday amenities including a completeToilet, Sink, and Shower System.Explore in a true off road vehicle without losing comfort and convenience.” That is one cool conversion!

Reactions: PJZ

joeym7

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mojave, 2003 Cadalac STS
Occupation
Retired
Its appearances are not for me, and makes no sense to give up the utility of the current bed length. Otherwise I think it is a great idea. 😉

rayvonp

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021Gladiator, 2018 Wrangler JLU
Occupation
Boeing
I thought the short bed gladiator was a Wrangler with the top off?

krweatherl

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JTRD
Occupation
Heavy Haul Truck Driver
So what’s not been mentioned so far, is the bargain that this kit is “IF” I want a bobbed bed for my Gladiator. This kit right now is $4499.10 and includes a custom bed and tailgate, custom bumper, fenders, flush mount lights plus everything else needed. Also the factory bed and tailgate can be sold.

Rough estimate if the value of the items included besides the bed and sale of factory bed.
Bumper $800-$1200
Fenders. $600-$1000
Flush Lts. $300-$500
Factory bed $3000-$4000

Est value $4700-$6700

This kit will only appeal to the few who want an Extreme wheeler/overlander rig. For those few people, even at the regular $4999 price this kit seems to me to be an EXTREMELY good value.

For those who want a mid sized truck for truck type things, you’ve already got that in stock form.

Thank you MotoBilt for taking the time to develop a kit like this and then to have the audacity to offer it at such a reasonable price.

Here’s how mine looks for now.
02D92911-D71B-4D07-AD4A-3E8E42FD1917.jpeg
389C320F-50E5-4DD9-868D-BB3CFC395221.jpeg

5623DDA5-3381-428E-92BB-EDF893BCEEE3.jpeg

Who knows what the future holds but I am surely grateful for all the companies out there offering such a diversity of custom parts.

Each of us has a different vision of what our perfect vehicle looks like. Without these companies offering this variety of offerings most of us would not be able to put our vision into reality.

So for whatever its worth, in spite of having built 2 long arm TJs and a stretched 2dr JK. Ever since AEV introduced the Brute conversion kit for the TJ for me that vision has been some sort of wrangler/truck that can go wherever I want and yet still be my daily driver.

For the most part the Gladiator answers that vision. A little lift, tires, wheels and some armor and I’m mostly there. Does great both as a DD and on longer trips, pulls our small “overland” trailer anywhere it should go and even a few places it shouldn’t go and does it quite well.

The one area not fulfilling my vision, it takes almost nothing of an angle before you’re into the hitch receiver and the bumper isn’t that much further away.

The AEV Brute had about the same length bed as we do but also had a great departure angle.

There are a few options for those with a vision similar to mine.

1. Going to the radical extreme there’s the expensive yet great looking flatbed “trays” and there’s the bobbed bed options that are bit less expensive (I think also look great) and while at this price I’m severely tempted to go this route there are a few things holding me back besides this still being a bit costly and quite extreme. I like my Decked Drawers and I’m a little afraid I’d come to miss that “long bed” I’d given up to go bobbed.

2. One of the other less extreme options I’ve come across is a high clearance bumper and some trimming of the lower rear bed skirt area.

So far I’ve found 3 companies producing high clearance bumpers that include a 2” receiver built into the center of the bumper and I’m sure there will be more offerings to come since this hitch dragging thing isn’t exactly a secret.

I had pretty much made up my mind on going the bumper route to achieve my vision since it is the more practical option, BUT that before I saw this kit by MotoBilt. Choices Choices Choices.

Now All of this rambling just to say

“I SURE AM GLAD WE HAVE ALL OF THESE OPTIONS TO CHOOSE FROM”.

I hope you are too.
Now go make your vision reality.

Sponsored

RidinDirty

First Name
DJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Don't forget the break over angle is the same minus changes to lift. So actually a Wrangler JL is still better in that area with the same lift.

XJFanatic

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL, 2020 JT
Build Thread
Link
I get it, in fact I like it as I enjoy doing hill climbs and stuff that longer wheel base can benefit. That being said I need the bed space for carrying all the crap that 3 kids require.

My JLU is normally in pickup mode.

2529FA41-8737-44DD-80D7-7EACB360CE16.jpeg

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4Runner / 1995 YJ
Everyone's needs are different... there are many times on trail that I wish I had a 2dr while in my truck and many times I wished it was a truck while in an SUV. Wheelbase has its advantages and the JT doesn't have as many issues with breakover as a Tacoma or something else that takes real work to fit 35s or lift beyond 3 inches.

The one thing about a truck that is never advantageous on trail is the ass end and this fixes that. Not my thing and it's not pulling me off my freakish flatbed path but I can see why people want this and the price is very reasonable given what it is.
Sponsored