Sponsored

So disappointed in this Diesel platform; wish there was a return policy.

Trickster

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT HA, 22 Volvo V60 CC, 76 Fiat 124,
Occupation
Heavy equipment operator
It's not a Redarc - the wiring harness end is the same as Tekonsha. (but that doesn't matter, just semantics.)
I'd have to read back through forum posts but I'm fairly sure some have said they ordered their Gladiator with the brake controller installed factory.
I would say after towing with mine it did adapt. It was a different animal after a little while on the road and the trip back was smooth as could be, shifting better than my Silverado did IN tow mode. That impressed me - my Chevy in tow mode had more shifting back and forth and hit higher RPMs than this little Pentastar.
So I'm not sure what's up with SOME people and the diesel. Since the Pentastar is towing all over the place just fine - what's going on.
Then you have WXMan who tows with a JT diesel and has zero troubles at all.
THAT makes sense.
My 3.6 never left normal temps as far as coolant and transmission temps. Oil temps stayed nice and low as well. In fact, I'd say none of the temperatures on my JT 3.6 were ever out of ordinary normal driving ranges.
Wow, you have no problem dissecting peopleā€™s comments. My apologies I should have said itā€™s ā€œlikeā€ a Redarc.
Sponsored

FlyingPig2019

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 EcoDiesel Gladiator
Don't worry about it, the guys an asshole. It's been proven time and time again on this forum.
Over the past week Iā€™ve read through all 27 pages of this thread and one thing stands out. ShadowsPapa definitely seeks pleasure ā€œcorrectingā€ every person who shares their opinion and input.

Iā€™m about 4 weeks into the build/wait for my diesel Rubicon and have really appreciated this thread. This will be my first Jeep but not my first forced induction vehicle. With that being said, something I have not seen mentioned is a turbo timer to help reduce some of the heat soak issues. I run one on my Evolution VIII and is a very common application on the small turbo vehicles. I can program the time I want the car to continue to idle after I turn the key off, lock the car, and go into the store.

Obviously it wonā€™t prevent the issues during driving but I see it helping the ones who have shutdown for a few minutes and then experienced the D rate when reentering the highway. The import guys use them to move the hot oil out of the turbo before shutting down rather than letting it bake in the lines. I can see it serving a slightly different purpose for the JT needs by allowing the system to cool itself down before shutting off.

CerOf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜21 JTRD
Over the past week Iā€™ve read through all 27 pages of this thread and one thing stands out. ShadowsPapa definitely seeks pleasure ā€œcorrectingā€ every person who shares their opinion and input.

Iā€™m about 4 weeks into the build/wait for my diesel Rubicon and have really appreciated this thread. This will be my first Jeep but not my first forced induction vehicle. With that being said, something I have not seen mentioned is a turbo timer to help reduce some of the heat soak issues. I run one on my Evolution VIII and is a very common application on the small turbo vehicles. I can program the time I want the car to continue to idle after I turn the key off, lock the car, and go into the store.

Obviously it wonā€™t prevent the issues during driving but I see it helping the ones who have shutdown for a few minutes and then experienced the D rate when reentering the highway. The import guys use them to move the hot oil out of the turbo before shutting down rather than letting it bake in the lines. I can see it serving a slightly different purpose for the JT needs by allowing the system to cool itself down before shutting off.
It essentially has one. When you shut it off, youā€™ll hear an electric pump sound circulating.

I think the manual does say to idle for a few minutes when you stop.

I keep mine idling while I collect my wallet, phone, key fob, check my email real quick.

LOGS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 LJ Rubicon

Yea the guy doesn't even have a diesel lol. I'm about 2 weeks out(hopefully) on getting my JTRD. Bout a decade ago, I swapped a VW TDI 1.9 in my old YJ and absolutely LOVED it. Never had any problems with it but the rest of the Jeep was nickel and dimen me to death so when I knew I was moving back out of the states, I sold it. Much regret with that decision.

I have an Evo X with a HKS tt. Personally I think it's damn annoying and I doubt I'll do similar on my JT. If I beat it hard I'll just sit and wait. I wish there was a turbo timer out there that can monitor your driving "aggression" and then adjust as necessary automatically. That I might consider.

Sponsored

Orange01z28

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S
What is the real purpose of the auto start/stop?
Reduce emissions/fuel consumption in order to fit the fleet into government-mandated nonsense numbers

FlyingPig2019

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 EcoDiesel Gladiator
I wish there was a turbo timer out there that can monitor your driving "aggression" and then adjust as necessary automatically. That I might consider.
I agree all the extra beeping sounds get annoying but I also know when I get in that car Iā€™m getting into loud exhaust, external waste gate and hard motor mounts so Iā€™m in the mood. Itā€™s definitely not a daily. If your X is a daily I can see the annoyance. A smart version that monitors live temps and adjusts would be nice.

lrtexasman

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tahoe
Some people have recommended letting the vehicle idle for a minute or two after parking to let the turbo drain and cool down.

Last edited:

biodiesel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
Some people have recommended LE letting the vehicle idle for a minute or two after parking to let the turbo drain and cool down.
This is from my 2015 EcoDiesel owner's manual. I haven't checked my 2020 manual yet.

W8QT4Y4.jpg

Chance575

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C
Occupation
D
Ah the evo days. I had a 14 Mr and hated the interior, I later dumped it for a 2016 Chevy SS. I do miss it in the winter with some snow tires on it.

the diesel circulates coolant for like three minutes after you turn the truck off. It makes a electric whine that is easily heard in a garage. I have 3k miles on mine now and love it.

Sponsored

biodiesel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
the diesel circulates coolant for like three minutes after you turn the truck off. It makes a electric whine that is easily heard in a garage. I have 3k miles on mine now and love it.
If you don't mind me asking, how was that information verified?

What you are saying makes sense. Here is a quote from Garrett.

Does a turbocharged engine require a cool down period after driving?
"Cool-down periods ā€“ where drivers would have to let vehicles idle before shutting them off ā€“ are a thing of the past. Todayā€™s vehicles have technologically advanced controllers that take into account a turbochargerā€™s high operating temperature and compensate for the cool down period even after the vehicle has been shut off." - Garrett

Last edited:

FlyingPig2019

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 EcoDiesel Gladiator
T
Some people have recommended LE letting the vehicle idle for a minute or two after parking to let the turbo drain and cool down.
This is exactly what a turbo timer does. The convince it provides is you donā€™t have to wait in the vehicle. It does the cool down for you. Once the timer hits zero, the engine shuts down.

biodiesel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
So, does the 3rd gen EcoDiesel use an electric pump to circulate the coolant? The water pump is belt driven.

OP
OP
CreepyJeepy

CreepyJeepy

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon 3.0
Occupation
Cyber Security
So, does the 3rd gen EcoDiesel use an electric pump to circulate the coolant? The water pump is belt driven.
So the sound after you shut down the eco diesel I thought was the def system purging to prevent freezing ?