So, what is everybody towing?

Stitchedupseats

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JTR
Size and weight of trailer (loaded)? If that's a Rubicon, then max payload is about 1200lbs with towing at 7000lbs. I'm curious how the extra bed weight from the rack and larger tires affected things (yes airbag suspension mod helps)
Rack is about 200lbs. Those are stock tires in pic. Trailer is about 3k empty. It didnā€™t squat at all when I hooked up. Iā€™m sure itā€™s more than Iā€™d want to tow long distances. I had a 3500 ram dually I just sold. Havenā€™t gotten a new towšŸ· yet. Id much rather have a 16 or 20ā€™ if I was going to be using gladiator to tow full time. It was not squirmy but I didnā€™t go over 60 mph. Canā€™t be stupid when towing.
Sponsored

4S50

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Sportsman of Leisure
Jeep Gladiator So, what is everybody towing? F7FE72CD-C2F0-4801-84A9-17B7A679E222

10500 GVW. I will update with the weight of the glad and empty trailer. I was surprised, the trailer is aluminum and I thought the 1956 CJ5 would be light. It towed from the pacific to Tahoe effortlessly and averaged 12.9 mpg. Oh, and that is 30lbs in the airlift bags.

4S50

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Sportsman of Leisure
Truck and empty trailer weighed 7340 lbs. The CJ5 is heavier than I guessed!

brianinca

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
IT Manager
250 lb winch?? Maybe it was just the sheetmetal was thicker back then, didn't know you could fit 3200 lbs in a CJ5. Neat Jeep and wow that is a nice trailer! Oh and the Glad ain't bad either. Such a great paint color.

Sponsored

4S50

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Sportsman of Leisure
The CJ5 definitely has thicker sheet metal, and it also has a Matkins frame, which I am sure is pretty heavy. And an SM465 transmission, which is also a heavy chunk of steel and cast iron. The Warn 8274 has rope on it, to save weight, haha.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Jeep Gladiator So, what is everybody towing? F7FE72CD-C2F0-4801-84A9-17B7A679E222

10500 GVW. I will update with the weight of the glad and empty trailer. I was surprised, the trailer is aluminum and I thought the 1956 CJ5 would be light. It towed from the pacific to Tahoe effortlessly and averaged 12.9 mpg. Oh, and that is 30lbs in the airlift bags.
Tilt bed, right? 1500 pounds empty?
Beautiful looking combo - Jeep pulling trailer with classic Jeep.

4S50

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Sportsman of Leisure
Thank you. Yes it is a all aluminum tilt bed ā€œTexas Roll Backā€ trailer that I borrow from a friend. He has it for some restored MG convertibles that are pretty low.

Nine Ball

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Entrepreneur
Total weight of trailer and car?

Weight distribution hitch, airbags, etc..?

I'd like to use mine to tow my toy as well.. But I don't have an aluminum car hauler. If dropping 1klbs makes it doable, I may have to sell my trailer..

New Tires.jpg

My Kids.jpg

Car Hauler.jpg
Sorry, just saw your question.

Aluma Tilt 8220 Trailer = 1600 lbs
1969 Camaro = 3450 lbs
Just hooked up to the factory tow hitch
No airbags, but I would certainly install some if I towed more often.

I don't have a brake controller installed in the Jeep, but the factory brakes worked surprisingly well. I also didn't tow up or down any hills, however.

As for the trailers, after owning six steel trailers and now an aluminum one, I'll never buy another steel trailer. Mine is about 5 years old and still looks brand new. No more rusty trailers!

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Sorry, just saw your question.

Aluma Tilt 8220 Trailer = 1600 lbs
1969 Camaro = 3450 lbs
Just hooked up to the factory tow hitch
No airbags, but I would certainly install some if I towed more often.

I don't have a brake controller installed in the Jeep, but the factory brakes worked surprisingly well. I also didn't tow up or down any hills, however.

As for the trailers, after owning six steel trailers and now an aluminum one, I'll never buy another steel trailer. Mine is about 5 years old and still looks brand new. No more rusty trailers!
I've owned some trailers over the years, I liked my PJ 18' car hauler, but............ and the steel ramps killed my back lifting them around. And it weighed over 2,000 empty.
When truck shopping and talking the JT, my wife really wanted the overland ride and features. I explained that it only had a 6,000 pound tow rating and my trailer and car would get close to that. She said - so get a lighter trailer.
So I did - aluma 18' tilt bed. 1500 pounds without the tool box and spare, so I figure it's no more than 1600 with the 5 or 6 pound aluminum tool box and the spare tire attached.

So Aluma 18' trailer at 1600 pounds, car at 3200-3300, depending on which car, I'm 4800-4900 pounds. That's at least 1,000 under tow rating.
10% of that for tongue weight is say 480-500 pounds so I've taken less than half the payload for tongue weight.
I won't kill the tow rating numbers but the engine's ability is still on my mind with the Overland gearing. I may be shifting manually to keep it from hunting gears all the time on our hills.

Total weight of trailer and car?

Weight distribution hitch, airbags, etc..?

I'd like to use mine to tow my toy as well.. But I don't have an aluminum car hauler. If dropping 1klbs makes it doable, I may have to sell my trailer..
As for the weight distribution hitch question - no, never use one with an ALL aluminum trailer.
With the Aluma brand, the frame, tongue, all of it is aluminum save for the axles, etc. (some "aluminum trailers" have steel frame rails.........)
I talked to Aluma engineers and they almost have a fit if you mention WDH with all aluminum trailers. An engineer took the time to explain it, the forces you apply are not natural and lead to trouble.
(I recently got a book from a company selling products for towing, weighing, etc. and it's amazing how often the weight distributing hitch is misused and even abused to the point of causing trouble, not correcting it. )

You don't need one on a car hauler if it's loaded properly.
I've never used that sort of a hitch with a car hauler - steel or otherwise, they just aren't necessary and if your tow vehicle complains - you need a different tow vehicle.
WDH setups are more for travel trailers, campers, whatever. I've towed across the country - never used one with a car hauler.

Sponsored

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jeep Sahara JL, 2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon JT
I have towed this over 1000 miles round trip so far and no issues what so ever. Before you ask, those are 37's on 5:13 gears with a pulsar superchip and tazer mini programer (though this has caused issues with the daytime running lights which power the turn cameras on the trailer). As for the car dolley, no issues towing that either.

PXL_20210121_232132391.jpg

PXL_20210121_232218184.jpg

IMG_20190701_184620.jpg

Gren71

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JT sports S Max Tow
Occupation
Magician
Vehicle Showcase
Took the wolf pup to Niagara falls. 475 miles one way. Averaged 11mpg! I was trialing this additive called fuelox and im feeling like it made a difference since a lot of folks seem to fet lower mpg..I went through mountain passes on my way north from delaware to upstate new york. Even then I was getting 9 while hanging out in 4th gear for some inclines. In addition to the fuelox i had my airlift bags inflated to 40psi and they made a world of difference in the ride quality.

344A7E67-A91C-4D8C-912D-BFA20C2D5125.jpeg

636BD00B-8AF4-42BD-9CDD-367529A0D869.jpeg

56693D73-CE0C-4A3D-B51C-876454829A94.jpeg

KVJ

First Name
Kenneth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport S W/Max Tow
Jeep Gladiator So, what is everybody towing? 1621627028835_IMG_20210521_155630

So I took this on a three hundred mile round trip this pass weekend and parked it at Maumee Bay State park by Toledo. I live on the other side of the state and it was mostly level driving. I averaged 18.1 MPG and was on cruze set to 60 MPH most of the way. Only one long grade hill it dropped to 6th gear but the rest of the time it ran in 8th & 7th. Loaded with camping gear in bed and trailer I grossed 7560#. Camper dry w/tongue weight is 2500#.

I left the camper there while I went up to Flint MI to shoot. I passed through Toledo going as well as coming back, never saw a Gladiator on the road but I did see several Broncos for the first time. I would have thought if ever there is a place to see a Gladiator on the road it would be there.

Jt-wrx

First Name
Blake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 sport s 6spd
F7FE72CD-C2F0-4801-84A9-17B7A679E222.jpeg

That's a helluva muley in your avatar, two of my euros go 190 and 200 gross, and a couple proper mounts in 190 and 203. That stud is well up there forsure, over 200 by an easy margin by the looks of it...do confirm. ;)

Just got back from spring bear, first off grid run with the home built trailer. We run a manual, 37's with 4.88's, tows good in 4th about 64 mph and 2800-3000 rpm, or 75 mph in 5th at same rpm, it needs to run a solid 500-1000 rpm higher on highway to maintain speeds vs just the truck alone. We run it across scale before the trip empty at 7825 lbs jeep full of gas and trailer and i know from experience weighing the jeep full of gas at 5100 lbs leaving trailer around 2725 lbs, but we've been as high as 8930 lbs loaded for a week of summer vacation including the 380 lbs of me and the kids. This set up pulls great, very happy.

If keep weight over axles sag is pretty minimal as evidence on way up. We loaded up fast to beat rain on last day and didn't balance as well. I have timbren helper springs on order, should cure that sag when i'm nose heavy. Running a little too much axle for the weight we run empty but just right when loaded with weeks worth of water and fuel over the axles. Tows better than expected, if i want to run left lane with traffic then 5th gear it is, will hold cruise control on most hills except the bigger water crossing valleys.

Also, when i got back from trip my idrive throttle controller was in mail...have zipped around messing with it, that should help when towing also, it's pretty aggressive tip in which for maintaining on the shifts will help and should be great for starts when nose up. I will have to update after the next trip to see what i think and what setting it liked. Empty it's too snorty on 9...currently messing around with mid point settings to see where i can get used to it. It's breaking rears loose with a normal quick launch on 9 right now empty. I have to say i'm impressed with the little gizmo, easy install also.

Sponsored

Last edited: