Sponsored

Soft top vs hard top and why wouldn’t we all prefer to have just a soft top with metal doors?

redriderjf87

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
saltmustflow.com
Vehicle(s)
'21 JT, '81 Z-28, '18 TW200, '72 CT 175
Occupation
Electrical Controls Engineer
If someone makes a stock-ish soft top that could just fold back farther, that would be way more appealing for me at least. Someone make this and take my money
Sponsored

BigC1066

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
EMS
like my Soft Top but wish I had the hard top instead just mostly for the sound of the air on the top going 70+ mph. I would sell my soft top for a hard or just buy a hard if it wasnt so expensive

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR , '18 JLU, 73 VW Bug, 97 VW Jetta, all MTs
like my Soft Top but wish I had the hard top instead just mostly for the sound of the air on the top going 70+ mph. I would sell my soft top for a hard or just buy a hard if it wasnt so expensive
I'd trade you if you were closer. I take mine off so much that I wish I had a soft top. But I kind of want both.

Last edited:

Panthers65

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
NA
Occupation
Account Manager
I ordered the Hard Top just because IF I wanted to switch between the two, it's a lot easier to start with the hard top and move to the soft top than the other way around. If you order with only a factory soft top and want to go hard top, not only do you have to buy the top but none of the hardtop wiring will be in place, and I didn't want to mess with the wiring.

Plus I would bet that as the JT ages, more companies will come out with a softtop, and different types of soft tops. Just seems easier to me.

BAT

First Name
Blaine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Sport S Max Tow Sting Grey
like my Soft Top but wish I had the hardtop instead just mostly for the sound of the air on the top going 70+ mph. I would sell my soft top for a hard or just buy a hard if it wasnt so expensive
You guys must have some screwed-up soft tops. I drive 70+ in mine all the time and it is not much different than when I had my hardtop on driving same speed.

Sponsored

DailyMoparGuy

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport S 3.6L
Occupation
Engineer
Security for me is why I prefer the hard top. Not the type of security you’re thinking about to protect valuables, no…..I have a illegitimate fear of a homeless person (or people) pissing, shitting, or f***ing in my truck. I know it’s ridiculous but the thought of that happening is enough for me 😂

I got nothing against homeless people btw, and I know 99.9% of homeless people wouldn’t even think about doing this. I’m just dumb. Haha

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Security for me is why I prefer the hard top. Not the type of security you’re thinking about to protect valuables, no…..I have a illegitimate fear of a homeless person (or people) pissing, shitting, or f***ing in my truck. I know it’s ridiculous but the thought of that happening is enough for me 😂

I got nothing against homeless people btw, and I know 99.9% of homeless people wouldn’t even think about doing this. I’m just dumb. Haha
Go to LA and it's a reality.........

As far as sound level differences - those that say "no difference" maybe don't understand human hearing. Some people can hear different frequencies far better than others. Some are going to be more annoyed by wind noise than others due to many factors - sensitivity to those frequencies and more factors (having dealt with hearing loss, hearing aids and such, I've done my share of research on it)
My wife can hear things most men can't hear.
Also note that those who have quality equalizers will have them set very differently (of course shape and size of the room or vehicle, or the materials or items or fabrics matter - but human hearing experiences vary a lot. If they say it's more noisy, it's more noisy to them.

BigC1066

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
EMS
You guys must have some screwed-up soft tops. I drive 70+ in mine all the time and it is not much different than when I had my hardtop on driving same speed.
I dont think it screwed-up my kids just like playing with the vibration

Reactions: BAT

Rockabillyroy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT
I ordered the Hard Top just because IF I wanted to switch between the two, it's a lot easier to start with the hard top and move to the soft top than the other way around. If you order with only a factory soft top and want to go hard top, not only do you have to buy the top but none of the hardtop wiring will be in place, and I didn't want to mess with the wiring.

Plus I would bet that as the JT ages, more companies will come out with a softtop, and different types of soft tops. Just seems easier to me.
Thats how it was with the JK. The JT supposedly has all the wiring regardless of which top it came with.

BAT

First Name
Blaine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Sport S Max Tow Sting Grey
Go to LA and it's a reality.........

As far as sound level differences - those that say "no difference" maybe don't understand human hearing. Some people can hear different frequencies far better than others. Some are going to be more annoyed by wind noise than others due to many factors - sensitivity to those frequencies and more factors (having dealt with hearing loss, hearing aids and such, I've done my share of research on it)
My wife can hear things most men can't hear.
Also note that those who have quality equalizers will have them set very differently (of course shape and size of the room or vehicle, or the materials or items or fabrics matter - but human hearing experiences vary a lot. If they say it's noisier, it's noisier to them.
I can only go by my ears, wife's, and daughters as they have ridden in my truck with both the hardtop on and the soft top. It is general consensus from all 3 that there is not that much difference in the sound level. But the general consensus from all 3 is that the hardtop is slightly quieter. Now that is without any sort of liner or deadening panels, etc. I've got the top down so much though so its always noisey

Sponsored

mtudb24

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Vehicle Showcase
I'll take the ease of the soft top for going convertible all day long over the hard top. I live in Michigan and had no issues in the winter with the soft top. If people don't like the man bun look, its 4 quick bolts that take the whole soft top off and I can store in the bed under the tonneau cover if I am going to have it off for multiple days. Much easier then trying to store a hard top in my opinion. Or I can store it in the garage vertically against the wall and it takes the fraction of space of a hard top
The premium soft top is night and day above the std vinyl soft top as well

Uparms

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JT, 2020 JT, 72 CJ5,2005 LJ, 2002 TJ, 92 YJ
Vehicle Showcase
Get the Premium Sunrider soft top. Damn good heaters and AC. Not a problem. 5th Wrangler in 20 years, never a theft. Carry camera, laptops, shotguns and rifles. Lock it w a chain if yoy are concerned. I would like a ST too but for initial purchase, the the premium ST. I run w the back window out 9 months out of the year. Run the AC closed up July and August. Run the heat with the back window out up till Jan/Feb. It's heaven. Oxygen/ Adrenaline and warm feet too.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I can only go by my ears, wife's, and daughters as they have ridden in my truck with both the hardtop on and the soft top. It is general consensus from all 3 that there is not that much difference in the sound level. But the general consensus from all 3 is that the hardtop is slightly quieter. Now that is without any sort of liner or deadening panels, etc. I've got the top down so much though so its always noisey
I doubt too many people buy a Wrangler or Gladiator expecting the quiet of a Grand Cherokee - regardless of the top. My dealer's sales guy even warned "this will not be as quiet as your other vehicles" and so on.........
One thing I have noticed is that when there's no wind at all (that's about 3 or 4 days out of a year where I live) these can be pretty quiet.
I'm so used to driving my other vehicles windows down, this is no big deal.
Even the hard top is a box, drip rails, square corners, whatever.
People have a choice - buy and use what one likes.
Interesting to see the numbers of people looking to trade for or buy the top they don't already have. So people apparently sometimes change their mind - cool thing about it is that it's a Jeep - you can change your mind, or your circumstances. And as people age, some simply want "easier" and "quieter" - whether it's a lot or a little quieter, I guess!

Reactions: BAT

unsocbl

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Willys Eco-diesel
Thats how it was with the JK. The JT supposedly has all the wiring regardless of which top it came with.
You are correct! I bought a base model Mojave with the soft top only. Purchased a hardtop from a member on here and the wiring plugs in and works perfectly.
What you will need are the center brackets for the freedom top panel latches...the Mopar ones are about $250 but DV8 makes a kit for $98 and that's what I used. A bit of a pain to install the front, but well worth it.

Orange01z28

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S
Open oft top on a JT is hideous unless it's removed fully. At that point, what's the point?

And the hard top being in three pieces means it's doable for me to take off and remove by myself as well as smaller storage space

I think it's perfect

The Sky Power Top on the Wrangler would be the only other thing I'd want, but even then you can't fully remove that like you can the three piece top
Sponsored