First Name
Memphis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3.0 JT
Occupation
Solar & EV infrastructure
I’m likely the most overqualified person to answer this question on any Jeep forum.

If you want it to run all the time get a battery, like the dometic, which we’ve tested at length so you can charge on the move, use a remotely placed panel and at home. It’s costly but works extremely well and appears to have no issues being run down to 0% SOC

https://unboundsolar.com/9433115/sol-go/solar-panels/sol-go-flexible-115-watt-12-volt-solar-panel

This one works very well and weighs almost nothing as far as panels go.
Can’t promise you anything but if you email them after ordering snd tell them Memphis sent you they’ll likely throw an accessory in or send a discount for something else like an mppt controller which you’ll want if you want to charge the Jeep battery. They carry a victron that works well for about $115
Sponsored

Last edited:

Jaxmax

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps....... 2021 Mojave , 2019 Wrangler
Occupation
Electrical Manager
I am an electrician, you would be fine with 12 gauge copper, for your loads....Jack

PLEG1972

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeel Gladiator
Occupation
Maintenance Supervisor
I was nearly dead-set on the Cascadia 4x4 solution (regular hood, 80watts) but then I sat back and realized that mounting it to my vehicle would not benefit us much, simply due to where we live. We live in Wisconsin and mainly camp in the upper-midwest, which has a plethora of trees. We generally place our vehicle in the shade when camping. So....this means we won't be getting regular benefit for pure sunlight when parked.

I thought about that too and that was some-what my plan, however, my RTT has a window awning that could obstruct the sun, which goes right over the cab.

The more and more I think a bout this, I think having panels that can be moved on and off is best, so you're solution is basically what I think I need, based on all of the environmental factors.

I really do not want to go w/ a dual battery system - if I am going to go that far, I might as well just get a Jackery 1000 or something similar.
I have the Cascadia Solar set up and love it. I have an Iceco vl60 that has been running for 8 months...no issues. It only turned off once but I think that was do to the cold. Fridge is set to 15⁰ one one sidearm 38⁰ and it got below 38⁰ one day.

Blade1668

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
90XJ, 91XJ, 91MJ, 05 LJ, 20 JT
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
This is the one that I’m incorporating into my build. It’s Mil Spec and worked very well on our trip to AK this past summer. It’s probably more than you want to spend but I believe it is the best one out there.

https://www.overlandsolar.com/colle...gout-130-solar-charger?variant=31406491074623
How is it holding up for you now by the way?
I've been going through some older post and figured a check on a older topics might be insight for others too. vs Jeep is junk or the hate this or that post. ;)

Sponsored

NoahLD

First Name
Noah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Occupation
Travel
About 1/2 of the rated power of the solar panel. I think for a 100 watt RockPals 100W from this list https://solwiser.com/am-solar-panel-reviews/ solar panel, do you think this is a good option? And what solar controller (MPPT is preferable) need?

Radio Guy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Retired Broadcast Engineer
I do a lot of camping with extra deep cycle batteries and various solar panels. Most panels will easily put out rated capacity on a clear day with the panels pointed at the sun. I monitor my charge current and can tell when I have to reposition the panels moving them at least four times a day to track the sun.

If you simply mount a panel pointing straight up expect only a fraction of the capacity from the panel and unless the sun is right overhead it can be surprisingly low. As others have mentioned only expect about 6hrs of good sun assuming you have a clear view from the east to south and west and you reposition to track the sun. A good MPPT type charge controller will squeeze just a little more out of the panels when the sun is first coming up or setting.

I run lots of radio equipment and not really an continuous duty stuff like a fridge, but if the fridge consumes 45 watts then count on maybe a 60w panel at the minimum to offset the power used for maybe 6hrs a day if you move the panel and track the sun. I would opt for a 100w panel because you want to keep the battery topped off at the end of the process.

One of my panel setups is a roughly 120w folding kit with integrated charge controller that folds up into a nice carrying case. That was $119.95 new. My other setup is two 100w panels for 200w total tied together with a piano hinge so they fold up and an external MPPT controller. The smaller panels charge my travel trailer battery which doesn't get used much and the 200w system charges either one or two 100AH deep cycle batts depending on how much equipment I'm running in the field.

smlobx

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR, F-350 diesel, Porsche Spyder, Model Y
Occupation
Semi retired consultant
How is it holding up for you now by the way?
I've been going through some older post and figured a check on a older topics might be insight for others too. vs Jeep is junk or the hate this or that post. ;)
We are on a trip to CO and UT as I write this and the panel has been fine although we don’t have to use it very much as the truck charges our BattleBorn battery just fine on most days.

Blade1668

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
90XJ, 91XJ, 91MJ, 05 LJ, 20 JT
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
We are on a trip to CO and UT as I write this and the panel has been fine although we don’t have to use it very much as the truck charges our BattleBorn battery just fine on most days.
Here in S.E. I've been having some much rain and clouds the 100 w panel hasn't always kept up. Not running my JT for 3 days it flat lined my one battery once. I started with just a 36 ah LiPo battery since I added a second one. I did the 36 ah as a test / dual purpose use, I should have a clean power supply for radio(s) I should still mount a deep cycle AGM battery underneath the bed.
Sponsored