Sponsored

Spare Tire Delete

wiredup60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator, 2012 Audi R8, 2018 Land Rover LR4
Is this a built in tire carrier onto the chase rack ? If so mind sharing the brand name/model/ or link ?
Yes it is. It was custom fabricated in Fredericksburg, Va.
Sponsored

cb4017

First Name
Cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport Max Tow
Occupation
Retired USN and retired LEO
I'm truly surprised by the amount of folks who think getting rid of your spare is a good idea. I've killed more than one tire in the middle of nowhere, NV and not having a spare would have been very bad. In fact, I'm thinking of putting a second spare in the bed for when I take the longer range trips out there.

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Launch Edition
Occupation
Geek
Probably depends on where you live. In over 100k miles of pretty serious Jeeping, enough to do body damage, I've only used the spare once. And that was at Salton Sea, CA, where a broken-off tree shoved a piece of wood into a sidewall. And it happened again a few years later in the same place, but didn't need the spare that time. It was a slow leak.

Also, some people really don't wheel their Jeeps, or not hard, so it may be less important. Or don't go very far out. You and I live in places where we could be 50 miles from anything, but some people wheel in places where you literally get only a few miles of trail.

I won't run without one myself though.

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
Probably depends on where you live. In over 100k miles of pretty serious Jeeping, enough to do body damage, I've only used the spare once. And that was at Salton Sea, CA, where a broken-off tree shoved a piece of wood into a sidewall. And it happened again a few years later in the same place, but didn't need the spare that time. It was a slow leak.

Also, some people really don't wheel their Jeeps, or not hard, so it may be less important. Or don't go very far out. You and I live in places where we could be 50 miles from anything, but some people wheel in places where you literally get only a few miles of trail.

I won't run without one myself though.
This is me. I keep my spare on me but I'll never buy a full size spare. I've never used one ever but if I ever need it I'll just limp home on the spare small tire.

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Launch Edition
Occupation
Geek
I rotate my spares in, and wouldn't bother carrying a less than full size spare.

Sponsored

syreeves

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR 6MT, 2013 Volvo XC90, 2003 LR Disco
Occupation
Liquor Attorney. So not all bad...
I think carrying a spare is like insurance. Seems expensive and pointless until you need it. Then it saves $$$ and hassle. I think it is best to be prepared. I'd rather haul someone out than need to be hauled out myself.

RodRecket

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 AEV JT370
Lots of advice. Was thinking of carrying plugs and small compressor when off the beaten path. Could always keep the 33 that's on the spare or get a cheap 35.
I went the cheap 35 route. Don't plan on rotating the 5th tire so I kept the steelie and mounted a kenda klever 35/10.5r17. This tire is 1. cheap and 2. narrow so it tucks up under the bed better

Edit: I did not pay attention to the date on this post... oops
Sponsored