Spare Tire Delete

SilverF0X

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU & 2020 Gladiator JT
This pic seems to be more than just a vinyl sticker. Seems to match the handle plastic perfectly.

Gladiator3rdBrakelight.jpg

Nitroexpress

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon, '82 Jeep CJ-8,
Anyone going with bigger tires take the spare wheel/tire off? Going to 35" tires and thinking about just taking the spare off. I know a 35 will fit in the space, but could save a little money by not buying a 5th tire.
I bought one additional OEM wheel and installed 5 skinny 35's (35x11.50). I do 5 tire rotations and the spare fit's in the under bed location with no issue. I've had too many tire related issues in remote locations that a plug and air compressor would not solve, so I always carry a spare.

Jt-wrx

First Name
Blake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 sport s 6spd
i run mostly truck duty, with sport s on 37's, for spare i went steel 18" and a 285 75r18, little taller than 35 but the thinnest option, looks to hang down about even with the hitch now, when the 12.5" 35 i tried looked like it needed to take a dump...anyway, just don't lock up on the axle it needs to go on and should get you home, sport or rubi...for the overlanders/wheelers, you could run a 35/37 x 11.5 to have less hanging down there, not sure moving them up is great idea, putting a lot of gear higher and higher to begin with, what's happening to that center of gravity?

section width of the 285 75r18 is 11.26"
section width of the 35/37x11.5's is 11.42"
section width of the 35/37x12.5's is 12.52"

so by math alone the 285 is 1.26" less hanging down but looks more like 2" to me and the pics i've taken to compare, i could have gone 11.5's and had same height for bit more thickness and another 7 lbs of rubber but i rarely need a spare so i went skinny and light

Sponsored

Food2000

First Name
vinh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport
Question for ya, i just got the road armor treck rack as well... and man that spare mount is pricey $230ish, Was it worth it?

I haven't pulled the spare to see how the factory mounts work but... you see any cheaper way to mount it?

Coyotesong

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Because I am running 38x13.50 tires, I will be using the N-Fab tie-down and keeping it in the bed with a cable lock to the rear bed tie-downs. I plan to mount my compressors and tank where the spare tire was located. I will still be able to use the soft tonneau cover on the bed and I can easily remove the spare tire when I need to haul something and rotate tires. This is a photo from N-Fab's website.
Jeep Gladiator Spare Tire Delete Gladiator3rdBrakelight
Did you drill the bed for the strap mounts?

kickingaz

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon Diesel, 2018 Rubicon JLU
Occupation
Owner - New River Offroad
Did you drill the bed for the strap mounts?
I have not installed mine yet as I was waiting for the Maximum-3 gen 2 air tank mount, which just got here recently. But to answer your question, you would either have to drill the bed to weld the brackets to the bed.

TTEChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
tankcustoms.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTD
Occupation
Jeep
Question for ya, i just got the road armor treck rack as well... and man that spare mount is pricey $230ish, Was it worth it?

I haven't pulled the spare to see how the factory mounts work but... you see any cheaper way to mount it?
It's pricey, but being able to use the factory tools and having it "sucked" up into the rack makes it worth it for me. I can still haul a bunch of gear with it installed, but for day/day driving I usually keep the spare at the shop for better visibility. I'm sure with some fabrication skills you can make it work, but it's all about how you value your time. I have the benefit of playing with Jeeps for a living. The 2-4 hours it would take to make something similar is better spent working on customers Jeeps or installing more "fun" mods on mine.

Jaydebe

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Stacy'sMom aka: 2020 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Renovations
Vehicle Showcase
A related question I have... Who has replaced the steel spare with a normal wheel, so it can be put into five-tire rotation instead of four? I hate the idea of a perfectly good tire being "wasted" and never used. That's 20% more tire life. I always did five tire rotations on my JK.
I did this on my 4R, after 20k on my ATW3's they looked about 1/4 worn tops.

Sponsored

Deleted member 30519

I want a half rack that can hold spare tire on top. Any suggestions?

Food2000

First Name
vinh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport
I would probably also keep my spare off for my day to day driving and only put it on while wheeling.

I'd like to put my RTT when it finally arrives and adjust the bars lower so it's even with the roof for less drag, but then.. i wonder how much the tire will interfere with the camping gear i'd have in the trunk? I should probably measure in the morning to see.

I think i am leaning on just buying the mount.. yes it's pricey but i don't really know how to fab anything and i am sure that whatever i make... will eventually break as i plan on wheelin it.. i can see my self thinking "why was i a cheap ass."

107957533_737732003466085_6576311678707093028_n.jpg

Wicknalter

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
I moved mine. The 35” fits underneath but I nearly punctured it twice while wheeling. It hangs to low for my liking and doesn’t help with the departure angle.

31743609-851A-429F-B25D-B95253C8FC70.jpeg

DC983B6B-795C-4277-A5C6-D82A219B4916.jpeg

deadbug

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Electrician
Im going 37x12.50"s and thinking of a 37 on a cheap wheel but like 37x10.5 to help save room under there!
anyone else try this ?
Sponsored