Sponsored

Sport S Build

jpfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Sport S
This is my DD so its not a crazy build. I figured I would document my progress and hopefully help anyone looking at any of these mods.

I ordered at the end of May in 2019 and took delivery on July 5th 2019. Ordered as a Sport S with Max Tow, Hard top, 7" Radio and Automatic.

Jeep Gladiator Sport S Build IMG_2913

Jeep Gladiator Sport S Build IMG_2914

First mods were a Teraflex 1.5" spacer lift, some Rockhard angled down sliders, an Extang trifold soft cover, Bedrug Impact Mat and got the windows tinted.

Jeep Gladiator Sport S Build IMG_3302

Jeep Gladiator Sport S Build IMG_3324

I found some JLU Rubicon take off wheels and tires locally. Around this time I also installed a 3/4" Daystar rear spacer lift and a Tazer for the new tire size.

Jeep Gladiator Sport S Build IMG_3628

Jeep Gladiator Sport S Build IMG_3630

Next, I added a Quadratec Stubby bumper and a Smitybilt 9.5 winch. The bumper and winch added quite a bit of weight to the front of the truck. I found some Mojave front coils being sold locally. Adding those makes it sit perfectly level.

Jeep Gladiator Sport S Build IMG_1032

Jeep Gladiator Sport S Build IMG_1144

After running the Rubicon take off tires for a while I decided I would rather have 35's. So, I went with General Grabber A/T's. This is how it sits today minus some take off Rubicon Fox Shocks and synthetic winch line I've added since the picture was take. Plus waiting on Oracle reverse lights to come in.

Jeep Gladiator Sport S Build IMG_1545

I'm not sure what my future plans are yet but hopefully I'll be adding progress to this soon. Currently on the fence about adding some hood decals, but I'm not sure.
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
jpfreak

jpfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Sport S
Swapped out the factory grille for a Mopar satin black grille and white surrounds to match. I think it came out great! I was nervous about the winch being in the way but it had just enough room. I put some cardboard between to stop any scratches.

8F210F14-C53A-4116-9960-83B257E4A686.jpeg

4DBC57B7-DE59-4511-96E0-A9DCE9BC5F78.jpeg

OP
OP
jpfreak

jpfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Sport S
Picked up some used Inspired Engineering pod lights for my front bumper. I was able to run the wiring through the Quadratec QRC bumpers hoop. It’s worked out pretty nicely. I have a Rough Country MLC on order for future plans.

03013EFB-5409-443E-94B7-E239B7B32FD2.jpeg

52A6B0E8-3514-47EE-B549-4C309E4F5072.jpeg

OP
OP
jpfreak

jpfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Sport S
Have you used the winch? Is the 9.5 enough for these trucks?
It’s a hair undersized for this application. I couldn’t pass it up do to the price. I’ve used it a few times but not for recovery purposes. It does what I need it to do.

Sponsored

Trickster

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT HA, 22 Volvo V60 CC, 76 Fiat 124,
Occupation
Heavy equipment operator
Doesn’t look like a Sport S anymore. I just ordered the Bestop yesterday in twill. How you liking it?

OP
OP
jpfreak

jpfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Sport S
Doesn’t look like a Sport S anymore. I just ordered the Bestop yesterday in twill. How you liking it?
I’ve only had it on for a day so I can’t say for sure but the install was very easy. I’m looking forward to having for some upcoming trips!

Sponsored

Panthers65

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
NA
Occupation
Account Manager
Have you used the winch? Is the 9.5 enough for these trucks?
Old rule is 1.5X the vehicles weight. Glad is only a 5K stock so 7500 lbs would be minimum. I know all the accessories and what-not adds weight, but I'd be plenty comfortable with a 9.5

Aonarch

First Name
Alec
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Engineer
Old rule is 1.5X the vehicles weight. Glad is only a 5K stock so 7500 lbs would be minimum. I know all the accessories and what-not adds weight, but I'd be plenty comfortable with a 9.5
1.5 x the GVWR is the rule, not curb weight. Max Tow is 6250, so winch rating should be around 9375.

9500 is fine for the Gladiator. I have a 10k winch. Just keep a snatch block, tree saver, and an extra strap + soft D rings with you.

If you know that you will be fully loaded and will probably get stuck in mud (Lots of resistance), I'd go 2x your GVWR, so a 12500k winch.

BaliMawr

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JTMT, 2004 R1150GS, 1979 R100
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Art Teacher, Blacksmith
Swapped out the factory grille for a Mopar satin black grille and white surrounds to match. I think it came out great! I was nervous about the winch being in the way but it had just enough room. I put some cardboard between to stop any scratches.

Jeep Gladiator Sport S Build 36A716D0-6099-4C01-BA6C-CE2FA3A313BC
Nice! I ordered the satin black grill, but was curious about the color matched surrounds. Are those separate pieces, or did you mask and paint? If they are separate, where did you find them? Thanks!

OP
OP
jpfreak

jpfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Sport S
Nice! I ordered the satin black grill, but was curious about the color matched surrounds. Are those separate pieces, or did you mask and paint? If they are separate, where did you find them? Thanks!
It will depend on what model Jeep you have, what color and what grille you purchased. Overland, Rubicon and Mojave use a multi piece grille that you can reuse the factory surrounds of for the satin black grille. If your Jeep has the factory single piece grille like my Sport S did, and you purchased the mopar stain black grille, you will need to order the surrounds separately to make it complete. If that's the case and your Jeep happens to be white you can purchase them pre painted. Part# 82216413AA

BaliMawr

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JTMT, 2004 R1150GS, 1979 R100
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Art Teacher, Blacksmith
It will depend on what model Jeep you have, what color and what grille you purchased. Overland, Rubicon and Mojave use a multi piece grille that you can reuse the factory surrounds of for the satin black grille. If your Jeep has the factory single piece grille like my Sport S did, and you purchased the mopar stain black grille, you will need to order the surrounds separately to make it complete. If that's the case and your Jeep happens to be white you can purchase them pre painted. Part# 82216413AA
I’ve got the granite with the satin grille on a sport S. I’ll check out that part number. is it a hard piece that could be painted?
Sponsored